Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
But why not announce 9.4? 10 isn't available, so Nokia went with the latest working version of 9 - sounds sensible to me, but perhaps they didn't understand or appreciate the incompatabilities with h.264 (or considered it an insignificant problem?) It may only be an incremental update on the version shipped with Diablo, but that was from almost 2 years ago (there may have been an incremental Flash Player update released during Diablo, but not 100% sure).
Because it doesn't really mean much. 9.4 means as much as the version that's in Maemo 4 truth be told.

If anything, it's a very empty announcement. That's why it shouldn't have announced. No 3D, no FP10 advancements... it gained nothing worth mentioning.

There is no technical reason why it can't be updated - the only reason it won't be updated is due to corporate politics and potential licence fees (the same reasons given for not updating Flash on the 770).
I seriously don't get what you're saying here. You and I both know that there's no technical reason why it cannot be updated.

Historically, it hasn't. That's the question... will it? Or won't it?

Only Nokia and Adobe can answer that... in 2010.

Maybe someone from Nokia can give you assurances that FP10 will ship as an update for Fremantle once it is ready? Once the competing devices have FP10 I would expect it to turn up fairly soon after on the N900.
Would love to hear that. Doubt I'll get a confirmation.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If anything, it's a very empty announcement. That's why it shouldn't have announced. No 3D, no FP10 advancements... it gained nothing worth mentioning.
I just don't get it. Why on Earth should they *not* announce that they have a major web feature only a handful (how many except the Hero ?) devices can barely match, and none actually significantly surpass ? I mean if someone made an empty (misleading even) announcement, that's HTC/Adobe, talking about flash 10 future to hype a flash 9 device and platform.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
9.0.124 fixed a very serious zero-day security vulnerability present in previous versions of Flash Player. Unfortunately 9.0.124 broke h.264/AAC streaming from Adobe servers using specific protocols.

Which would I rather not have, hmmm... h.264/AAC streaming from some servers to my mobile device, or device Pwnage? Yeah, the ability to stream a few videos that may not actually be playable is really worth having my device compromised.

I seriously don't get what you're saying here. You and I both know that there's no technical reason why it cannot be updated.

Historically, it hasn't. That's the question... will it? Or won't it?

Only Nokia and Adobe can answer that... in 2010.

Would love to hear that. Doubt I'll get a confirmation.
See post from ragnar, you've got your confirmation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Is facebook video going to work with Flash 9.4?

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
9.0.124 fixed a very serious zero-day security vulnerability present in previous versions of Flash Player. Unfortunately 9.0.124 broke h.264/AAC streaming from Adobe servers using specific protocols.
I think I've already stated the security and h.264/aac streaming from Adobe Flash Media Server some 4 or 5 times already. Go back, quote that for once please.

Which would I rather not have, hmmm... h.264/AAC streaming from some servers to my mobile device, or device Pwnage? Yeah, the ability to stream a few videos that may not actually be playable is really worth having my device compromised.
9.0.124 is still vulnerable. As was 9.0.48.

That's why I want higher.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
9.4 means as much as the version that's in Maemo 4 truth be told.

If anything, it's a very empty announcement.
It lets folks who haven't followed, or even heard of, Maemo previously know that Maemo 5 has a Flash plug-in. You, and other Flash developers, weren't the primary target audience of the announcement.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I just don't get it. Why on Earth should they *not* announce that they have a major web feature only a handful (how many except the Hero ?) devices can barely match, and none actually significantly surpass ? I mean if someone made an empty (misleading even) announcement, that's HTC/Adobe, talking about flash 10 future to hype a flash 9 device and platform.
Because it's truly not a major web feature or announcement. I can't be more clearer than that.

The HTC/Adobe announcements - at the press release level - isn't really misleading... if anything, my reading was faulty.

However 9.0.124... that's a non-event.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
9.0.124 is still vulnerable. As was 9.0.48.

That's why I want higher.
The vuln you link to above is fixed in... FP10. Hang on, I think there's a post or two around here some place which details when that version will become available.

All software has bugs, not all those bugs are fixed in shipping products. Nokia chose to go with 9.0.124, for whatever reason, just deal with it. Perhaps Nokia could have gone with a later version of FP9/9.4, but maybe they had more important things to get working first. The vast majority of buyers won't care less about the lack of FP10, they'll be more than happy with FP9.x.

FP10 will become available once it is ready...

I don't quite think you understood what I linked too... there's a vulnerability in the N900 version of Flash Player 9.0.124 and the N810's 9.0.48.

Here's another that affects not only the forthcoming 9.0.124 but also versions of 10.x - read here

Anyway, those reasons and many more are why I wanted FP10 sooner than later. 9.0.124 won't stop your N900 from getting "device pwned".

This whole Flash 9.4 announcement = 9.0.124 - read here. And it ain't so safe after all.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Because it's truly not a major web feature or announcement. I can't be more clearer than that.
Let's just say I disagree calling full flash (even if only 9.4) on a MID/phone NOT a major feature.

The HTC/Adobe announcements - at the press release level - isn't really misleading... if anything, my reading was faulty.
Don't you sense the contradiction there ? It *WAS* formulated in a way so as to be easily misread. That's the very definition of misleading. Correct, but leads to wrong conclusion.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: