Active Topics

Poll: Do you think capacitive is better than resistive screen?
Poll Options
Do you think capacitive is better than resistive screen?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@zehjotkah: go for it. OUTSIDE CUPERTINO: Trash talking Apple.

Why see X6 as an iPhone killer - just because has the same price unlocked (about euro 450 or $690) or because both don't have keyboards and have capacitive screen? Does X6 have multi-touch?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
About the X6 and its capacitive screen, read techradar:

The new screen, a 3.2-inch effort, is a lot, lot better than previous resistive options from Nokia (although bizarrely not as good as the N900)...

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
(most) People don't base purchasing decisions based off of totally objective data.

They will be out looking for a new phone... why get the iPhone, which is x years old, when they can get this new device that *looks* sort of the same and has more storage... and it's newer, so it's got to be better.

The iPhone is soo last year
Heh, sad but true.

Well, at least in the U.S. the various media company contracts will help make the decision for them...don't hold your breath on it being available in the U.S. anytime soon since Nokia will *only* sell it with "comes with music". Somehow I don't see our beloved RIAA playing ball in this market (though I hope I'm wrong!).

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
Anyway, you do have a point regarding the dpad. However, given the immensely improved touchscreen responsiveness and such, I don't think it's a big of a loss as many make it out to be.
Again: it depends on usage.

The d-pad can take the sort of abuse heavy gameplay deals out. The screen... not so much.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Again: it depends on usage.

The d-pad can take the sort of abuse heavy gameplay deals out. The screen... not so much.
True...though the accelerometer (coupled with the arrow keys and/or WASD controls) can take the place of the d-pad in many applications. For sure it's a loss in some cases, but IMHO the plusses of the current design far outweigh the minuses.

Originally Posted by jayonthabeat View Post
ok man, i like the cut of your jib.. http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=69
thanks

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Doesn't apple own multi-touch or some such nonsense?
I believe they obtained the patent for it. But it's being challenged by several companies and Elan (I think in Taiwan) filed a patent suit against Apple. But I think referring to multi-touch on their laptops, not the iPhone and iPod Touches.

I believe the Pre has multi-touch, and Android is capable of it (proven through hacking). Google is just playing nice at Apple's request for now on multi-touch though.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I believe they obtained the patent for it. But it's being challenged by several companies and Elan (I think in Taiwan) filed a patent suit against Apple. But I think referring to multi-touch on their laptops, not the iPhone and iPod Touches.

I believe the Pre has multi-touch, and Android is capable of it (proven through hacking). Google is just playing nice at Apple's request for now on multi-touch though.
Rumor is it comes with Android 2.0. Palm has a nice patent portfolio btw. I'm sure Nokia has a nice arsenal as well. So it'd just be cross licensing and such.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/28/a...epth-analysis/

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
How is a capacitive screen supposed to work with a full page browser pumping its output at you through a 3.5 ", WVGA screen?
Isn't there an accuracy issue? Click-able control elements on even some mobile web pages are actually quite small. I have a hard enough time selecting check boxes with a stylus on a 4.1 " resistive screen sometimes.

Maybe the next poll should have another option:

"Select this option if you are using a capacitive touch screen."

Could a capacitive touchscreen user do it?

I'm not trying to be difficult but I had written off capacitive as being more expensive and less capable than a comparably sized resistive screen. Other than multi touch and the ability to use a glass surface with a capacitive touchscreen, has anything changed recently to make capacitive more competetive?

Also, wasn't there other issues with using a capacitive touch screen when it is below freezing? Has this changed too?

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-09-04 at 02:13.