Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
locking is one thing, another is the branding of a device as a carrier product. branding that often is impossible to remove even after unlocking nad going to a different carrier...

Last edited by tso; 2009-09-05 at 05:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I wouldnt care if it were free, Id rather pay $700+ for the N900 that have a damn carrier logo stamped on it.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by dansus View Post
It amazes me how so called experts are allowed a keyboard, if anyone can enlighten this fellow, please do.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2352501,00.asp
The only thing wrong with that quote is that you took it out of context. Here's the full paragraph:

"The N900 looks promising; unfortunately, Nokia is selling it at a fatal price of $649. That's the price of three iPhone 3GSes, plus tax. If T-Mobile picks it up, they might subsidize it, but even a $250 subsidy brings it down to $400 - more in netbook range than in smartphone range."

Which is accurate AFAIK.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The only thing wrong with that quote is that you took it out of context. Here's the full paragraph:

"The N900 looks promising; unfortunately, Nokia is selling it at a fatal price of $649. That's the price of three iPhone 3GSes, plus tax. If T-Mobile picks it up, they might subsidize it, but even a $250 subsidy brings it down to $400 - more in netbook range than in smartphone range."

Which is accurate AFAIK.
Ysss..... seriously how can you validate that statement!! That is downright wrong. The total price of the 3GS is 200 + 15* 24 = 560 $. Of course with the n900 you can choose not to take the data plan and also use the phone for international travel.

@sachin: the guy isn't talking about 'the actual price' nor 'the unsubsidised\unlocked price'. He's just talking about what Nokia is selling the N900 for and what the iPhone is selling for. He mentioned (correctly) about T-Mobile's possibility of subsidizing the N900 with good approximates.

I'd say he's done his homework.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
He's done his homework, and I still have to slightly disagree with him.

It's still a guess - a very possible and likely one - but it's still a guess until the final pricing is announced by T-Mobile.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
@sachin: the guy isn't talking about 'the actual price' nor 'the unsubsidised\unlocked price'. He's just talking about what Nokia is selling the N900 for and what the iPhone is selling for. He mentioned (correctly) about T-Mobile's possibility of subsidizing the N900 with good approximates.

I'd say he's done his homework.
Well he should mention that explicitly in the article. The main reason why we quoted that was because he failed to mention exactly that. What if i were in a country that had subsidized nokia e71 for 100$ and no subsidy for apple i phone 3gs and say that i could buy 7 e71's with the price of an iphone 3GS will you say that is correct?

Yes, I see your point. But what's the point (for the writer, not specifically a Nokia advocate) to talk about the reasons why the N900 isn't available for any less than what Nokia is selling now? He's already mentioned the possibility of T-Mobile subsidies, what more do you expect from a short intro article in PC Mag? Another full paragraph to explain about Cell phone subsidy practices and how that accounts for the price discrepancy?

Nokia has chosen to go ahead with N900 announcement without official partner, and at the moment they do not have any cheaper price for the N900 than the official $650 on their site.. (or even more in Euro), do they?

Yes, I see your point. But what's the point (for the writer, not specifically a Nokia advocate) to talk about the reasons why the N900 isn't available for any less than what Nokia is selling now? He's already mentioned the possibility of T-Mobile subsidies, what more do you expect from a short intro article in PC Mag? Another full paragraph to explain about Cell phone subsidy practices and how that accounts for the price discrepancy?

Nokia has chosen to go ahead with N900 announcement without official partner, and at the moment they do not have any cheaper price for the N900 than the official $650 on their site.. (or even more in Euro), do they?
My only problem is that he compared Apples to Oranges. I dont need an extra paragraph in the article. I just wanted to see the word "unsubsidized" after the price tag. And there was no need to compare it to a heavily subsidized iphone 3GS with 2 year contract with data plan. I would have totally agreed if he would have compared both unsubsidized or he woud have included the subsidized, 2 year contract and the data plan requirement.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Anyway, I just don't personally see the N900 as a game-changer as the iPhone. The game has already changed once. And I see the N900 being grossly underestimated by the suits, and overestimated by... well "us"..
I think it is a huge game changer. You'll see. Just wait 'till you have DialCentral (with free long distance and SMS) on your phone. Just wait till you have a contact record for a person with Skype, MSN, ICQ, Google, Yahoo, Facebook (etc, etc) IDs (and presence indicators!), e-mail, and home/office/mobile numbers, and you can choose to contact that person using any one of those methods from your mobile device. Send them a Skype IM? SMS? Call them? e-mail them? Sure. Just hit the button.

Are you in a WiFi area? Well, use one of the several supported VoIP protocols over wifi instead of 3G.

Shoot a DVD-quality video of your daughter at dance class, and send it immediately, from your device, to your spouse on a business trip overseas.

Sure, you'll argue that most of this can be done already, and this is just an incremental step, but you can say that about a lot of inventions that seemed minor at the time but later turned out to be real game changers.

Anyway, time will tell. I'm probably just a hopeless fanboy.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
carrier, n900, networks, nokia v. cell carrier war, operator, telco