Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by fms View Post
While you are fixing it, could you also look at bug #5325?

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5325

That is for reenabling the ability to browse other [browseable] BT devices from the File Manager. This functionality is present in Chinook/Diablo, but is somehow gone from Fremantle.
Probably no, as there is really quite little reason for it.

Originally Posted by konttori View Post
I suppose it was more useful on the older tablets as they were often used in connection with a phone, whereas Fremantle devices are more self-contained so they're unlikely to be used with another device.

Give us a device with endless possibilities, but exclude something simple like BT file sending. Seems kinda weird to me
I hope it'll be included when my contract ends and I can buy it

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Ugh. Do i really have to create yet a third maemo.org account for bugzilla?
Unfortunately, I just had to do that too. A pain. But a minor one. The worst part is how confusing this is to new users, but that's already known (and being addressed, I assume).

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Are you kidding ?!?! Blue tooth file exchange useless?!?! I use that feature all the time. I move files back and forth from my laptop almost everyday while I am on the road. No use, nice sweeping statement . . You must be on the team that said MMS was dumb, a search function in mail is a waste of time, the ovi store is great, and nobody wants portrait mode. There is a saying that I think applies here. Common sense aint so common. I have been nothing but impressed by this community , there seems to be real passion. But the more I follow the talk, the more I am coming to believe Nokia has dropped the ball, And Nokia and the community not wanting to implement standard and common features on the N900 is a complete lack of foresight. Don't give people what they want. We will give them what we want. If Nokia and the developers continue down this path I will have to start a new thread called "Designing a Dinosaur, the N900"

They stole this great idea from Apple..I guess

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Arif View Post
They stole this great idea from Apple..I guess
The difference: On the N900 There's An App For That.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=27

... and if you would have read page 3 you would know that it get implemented soon anyway ...

Last edited by ccc1; 2009-11-24 at 01:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccc1 For This Useful Post:
[browsing other device's filesystem over BT]
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
@konttori: Sorry for saying this, but you must have fantastically little imagination. Of course there is reason for it. I'm trying to figure out how you are thinking. Could it be that because the N900 is also a phone, so that now you don't need to BT around in the filesystem of your phone? Is that it? I'm trying to think of how many people I know with only one phone. I can only think about unemployed students, and retired people, and a few more (I know my boss has only got a single, work-paid phone, for example). But almost everyone else have TWO phones: Work, and private.

And that's just one thing. There are lots more. The N900 is touted as a mobile computer, which means: Don't cripple it. Don't think out your own, limited use cases. That's the point with calling something a computer: You don't think up the use cases in advance, it's a generic computing device and the user is the one to think up the use cases, not the vendor.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
And that's just one thing. There are lots more. The N900 is touted as a mobile computer, which means: Don't cripple it. Don't think out your own, limited use cases. That's the point with calling something a computer: You don't think up the use cases in advance, it's a generic computing device and the user is the one to think up the use cases, not the vendor.
You can probably come up with your own Bluetooth browsing app using GVFS and/or ObexFTP, although I don't know if Fremantle's GVFS is compiled with ObexFTP support.

Oh, and if you manage to get FUSE running, you can use ObexFS and mount all your Bluetooth devices inside your ~/MyDocs/ and browse it with the file manager And with all other apps, which might be even more useful than just with the browser.

I'm sure it will not be a problem for some of us to implement what's needed for our own situation. It's more about what's available for other users out of the box. If it's missing, of course someone could pack up their own fix and provide it, that's one of the strong points about the openness in the Maemo concept. It's just that it's bad when existing features are removed simply because someone at the vendor's thinks 'this is not needed'. That's what we're rebelling against!

Tags
bluetooth, bug, file sharing, fremantle