Active Topics

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
That's what T-Mobile's 'Even More Plus' plans are all about. No contracts, no subsidized phones for a cheaper monthly rate.
How much "subsidized" are phones in the US?

If one would compare the total cost of phone+monthly+calls (if minutes are more/less expensive) over the time period of the lockdown, how much would the subsidy be (in general or on specific examples)?

Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
For the N900 to be a success. It needs more apps.
But who needs mini game apps when you can play free flash games?
I think people are putting way too much weight on the numbers of apps.
Imo many will stay using OS X, S60, WM whatever because it got lots of good apps, but because Maemo 5 don't have 1 000 000 apps don't have big impact of how many will buy it at the end. It might have impact of how many will stay using the platform, but thankfully there is much done in here already and it sure is moving 10x faster than with Symbian.

It has been a surprise for me how many are lining for the N900, but can't believe it being as big hit as N95. At best something like E71, and that would be more than enough already for Nokia to take a second look at how aggressive they will be with Maemo in the future.

And no i don't think N900 makes any difference in USA. Don't think it's even the right phone with Maemo for Nokia to go all out there.

Last edited by tissot; 2009-11-14 at 13:51.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Note that, contrary to my earlier post, someone has found a web page on Best Buy indicating that they carry the N900. However, the page still doesn't show up if you search for N900, whatever that means.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34544

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
I just noticed this on JK On The Run. On the day of the Droid's launch in the US, it accounted for 2.63% of the web browser market share for phones in the US. It will be interesting to see numbers for the N900.

http://jkontherun.com/2009/11/13/dro...age-at-launch/

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Does anyone have initial sales figures for the N900?

I read and certainly hope that the device is successful, but I could not yet find any numbers that show (initial) success / failure in the market place.

If no hard numbers, do you know about observations / anecdotes that provide some insight?

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
Does anyone have initial sales figures for the N900?
Nokia's Q42009 result conference is 28.1.2010. They usually tell exact sales numbers for few best selling models, but I doubt that N900's numbers are high enough to make it to that short list. Only availeable for half quarter, restricted suply, networks didn't start shipping subsidized units until December etc.

Originally Posted by Devil View Post
who is going to tell ALL of the n00bs on this forum, who do not know anything about linux/maemo/programming, including me that is, that the N900 is only 65% cool when you are a 'normal user'.

Please make a thread and tell us because i will get disappointed when it arrives on my doorstep otherwise.
IMO, that isn't true at all. I know Windows, I love cell phones, I had an iPhone for 1 year but I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on linux/maemo/any kind of programmation. N900 is still a really versatile phone and the difference between me and a programmer is that the programmer can do what he wants with the device, and post it here after. People like me will have access to everything, it will just take more time.
If it wasn't of all the developpers, sure the N900 wouldn't be a good choice for the n00bs! For now, I can do what I want with the N900 and I would NEVER EVER go back to iPhone or E71.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
IMO its not meant to be a success in the US anyway. Hopefully they will get some firmware updates, find a carrier and then maybe they can sell some phones here. A good marketing blitz would also help.

Android is making ground, Iphone's and blackberry's. They best Nokia can do is get some buzz ready for the next device, IMO.

2010 is going to be the year of the smartphone, and there is some cool things coming from lots of manufacturers, IMO.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.