Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
Ah, glad to hear that worked for you! I came across those settings in a thread somewhere while looking into this service -- would have been either at Howardforums or the unofficial site I linked to above.. can't remember which offhand (maybe both!).
Thanks for the link. I hadn't browsed HowardForums before.

Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
According to reports in this thread, what works and what doesn't seems to be a bit hit-and-miss.

Looks like HTTPS via browser works in some cases, but not for everyone.. Not sure what to make of that.
I assume you're referring to this HowardForums post? In any case, HTTPS does NOT work for me. Neither does the mail client with either port 465 or 587 (set according to this Gmail Help Page).

I'd really like to get at least the local mail ap working with Gmail. Basic browsing is great, but getting new mail notification & mail access is a very close second for me. I've found the Maemo tsocks gargage page & the tsocks homepage, but a lot of it is over my head. is there a simple how-to for Maemo anywhere? There's this Maemo forum thread, but it seems to be just targeted for the browser.

TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Actually re-reading the previous thread I mentioned in my last post I came across this post again. Is it really this simple?

Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
set the tsocks.conf default server to 127.0.0.1 and the port to <yourPort>.

then start ssh socks proxy with
ssh -D <yourPort> user@server.

then run tsocks <yourApp> and tsocks will intercept comms and point them to your ssh.
So if I run "tsocks modest" after setting all of this it'll work? I'm going to try this as soon as I can.

TX
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
try:
Code:
tsocks modest -s

I cannot SSH into my machine while using the rogers wap thing.

I tested the ssh connection over a remote connection, so I know it works, and I set the ssh port to port 80.

anyone else having any luck?

I'm a bit of a novice myself. But would anyone know if this could possibly help?
http://www.agroman.net/corkscrew/

it's supposed to be something to help tunnel through http proxies.

Last edited by mtran66; 2010-03-12 at 01:42.

Originally Posted by mtran66 View Post
I cannot SSH into my machine while using the rogers wap thing.

I tested the ssh connection over a remote connection, so I know it works, and I set the ssh port to port 80.

anyone else having any luck?
Exactly the same for me. I set the remote server's ssh port to 80, tested it from a different server & worked fine, then I tried from my N900 connected via Rogers:
Code:
ssh -p 80 remoteuser@remoteserver.tld uname -a
And the command just eventually times out.
I even double-checked a web page just to make sure nothing had changed & that came up fine.

I think we need to be able to specify to ssh that we are using a proxy. and it seems one way to do that is to install and use corkscrew... But I can't install it after trying for about an hour. I'm pretty lost

it depends on some packages like autoconf and I can't install it on the n900

edit:
here's some more information on corkscrew..
http://wiki.kartbuilding.net/index.p...ssh_over_https

is there any way to install it onto the n900? where would I start?
I unzipped it and ran ./configure, but it tells me:

Last edited by mtran66; 2010-03-12 at 02:30.

I think we need to be able to specify to ssh that we are using a proxy.
I would've thought that having the proxy settings at the connection level would have been enough, but it seems not.

and it seems one way to do that is to install and use corkscrew... But I can't install it after trying for about an hour. I'm pretty lost
it depends on some packages like autoconf and I can't install it on the n900
I don't believe you can compile programs directly on the N900, you need a development environment on a pc. I could be wrong, I haven't yet explored that option at all.

I think we need to be able to specify to ssh that we are using a proxy. and it seems one way to do that is to install and use corkscrew...
I can see why you're interested in corkscrew. Here's a very comprehensive setup guide, if we can get it installed

I'm stumped

edit:

actually, someone ported corkscrew to OS2008
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=corkscrew

I installed it and it seems to be ok...

but I'm still stuck. I don't quite understand how to use corkscrew.

I was playing around with it and tried:
corkscrew [proxy ip] [proxy port] [ssh server] [ssh port - which is 80] ~/.ssh/proxyauth

inside proxyauth I put wapuser1:wap

the output I got was:
Proxy could not open connection to [ssh server]: Forbidden

edit2:

maybe I'm making some progress. Now I'm getting an additional error:
ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

Last edited by mtran66; 2010-03-12 at 04:04.

here's an article by someone who was able to do what we're trying to do, but on an iPhone

http://www.combinedeffort.com/conten...fault.asp?id=5

I've done everything he did except I didn't try changing my ssh port to 443, right now it's running on port 80. However, I don't see how it would be any different. I'll test it tonight anyway though.

edit:
so I changed the port to 443 and I've made some progress.

when I run:
corkscrew [proxy ip] [proxy port] [my ssh server] 443 [proxy auth file]

I get:
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1pl Debian-6ubuntu2

then it hangs for a while and goes back to the command line. One time it also said "Protocol mismatch"

However, when I try to use ssh, it still times out.

ie. ssh -p 443 [user]@[my server ip]

Last edited by mtran66; 2010-03-12 at 16:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to mtran66 For This Useful Post: