Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Originally Posted by dj_steve View Post
if you look at the info of said youtube video it was posted by out very own bdogg64
I know - just stating that it already has been done, so it just means that there is nothing standing in the way of dual boot!

Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
not at all especialyl since i now have myn900 and will be devving for it

dj_steve: I am really excited to know that we may have a proper android port. but i'd like to know which version of android? 2.1? 1.6?
thanks!

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Wouldn't a virtualized android or just enough of dalvik on maemo be a better alternative though? Think like debian-chroot. I think this would be a much better overall experience.

Originally Posted by go1dfish View Post
Wouldn't a virtualized android or just enough of dalvik on maemo be a better alternative though? Think like debian-chroot. I think this would be a much better overall experience.
You still have to rework the entire GUI rendering mechanism. Android does not use X so there's that much more integration work. Not nearly as straightforward as Easy Debian is.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
You still have to rework the entire GUI rendering mechanism. Android does not use X so there's that much more integration work. Not nearly as straightforward as Easy Debian is.
cheers for that, yes android renders direct to framebuffer without x being needed so it would be far more work to hack dalvik etc to run above maemo not to mention a huge waste of resources

Originally Posted by pingu View Post
dj_steve: I am really excited to know that we may have a proper android port. but i'd like to know which version of android? 2.1? 1.6?
thanks!
most certainly 2.1r2 though may start off with donut (1.6) to test things

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
I would simply like to run some android apps (and maby even widgets) on Maemo . . . . I really like Maemo vs Android I just envy a few of the Apps

(simply is really the wrong term here I know building some sort of compatibility layer between Maemo and Android wouldn't be easy but if it ever happens it would be a truely spectacular thing)

The Following User Says Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 345 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Reunion Island
Originally Posted by Deafboy View Post
The question is not "Why port the android to n900" The question is "Why not port android to n900?" Do not forget that we are (kind of) linux community.

edit________________

By the way, it has been already done :P

https://sites.google.com/site/nitdroid/n900-port
oh looks good, now just need someone to compile us the new kernel =D
because i don't have time and i'm not a dev
but looks promising ! if someone could test it that would be cool !

PC :
MSi K9N2 Diamond, AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.2ghz, 2x2GO DDR2 G.Skill Extreme Pi Black PC8500, Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X, Hitachi 1To sata II

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bangalore, India
i would definitely be willing to try the Android on my N900, just let me get it working and back to life once!

i will be workign on NITDroid on n900 and n800 as i have both (and as ive said in the multiple other thread similar to this

The Following User Says Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post: