Posts: 73 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Midlands UK
Geez 90 mins, no thanks.I get annoyed if its not doin as its told after 10 seconds lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to stigslim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
[ot]
3 second is too long for most of things
http://blog.alertsite.com/2009/10/5-...-page-to-load/
[/ot]

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Midlands UK
Thanks cat might take me a while to figure out whats hogging it still.Is that a little gloating i see there 2% (lucky you) lol.

I did have a problem recently where if i unlocked the N900 and then clicked ANY app on the main screens, It would take about 5 seconds for anything to happen.

A restart fixed this.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by Catacylsm View Post
STAT and RSS, not a clue,
STAT is the task's status: Sleeping (S), Ready to run (R), Waiting for I/O / Blocked (B), Zombie (Z), Increased priority / Realtime priority (<), Niced (N)...

RSS is the Resident Segment Size: The amount of RAM (i.e. not VM) this program uses.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stigslim View Post
Thanks cat might take me a while to figure out whats hogging it still.Is that a little gloating i see there 2% (lucky you) lol.

Haha, i must say that my device was running 4-10% for a while but its really settled down!

Thanks for the definitions v13!

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Not exactly surprise but after reboot my N900 is bit faster. Lets see after couple of days what kind of stones it founds to carry :P

Hehe yep, i am going for 336 hours (14 has days) total up time, day two has only seen the OS smoother and using less CPU Usage. (Y)

Now at present, i believe the N900 can go the distance without problem!

From my recieve date till now (i think last tuesday/wednesday) i have had 0 crashes or app closes.

Thanks for all the responses. I think the issue I'm having might be related to the one mentioned in this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=42500

and this bug report:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8723

So if you have a similar issue you might want to vote for the bug.

As I posted on the thread above I've disabled some widgets:

Ap news
personal IP
conversation inbox
FM transmitter on/off

And restarted my phone (yesterday) and since then its been quite snappy. Last night I ran a bunch of browser windows while simultaneously listening to music and checking email without any stuttering. I left the windows open overnight and kept on going this morning and only had a little stuttering when I launched the mail client but it was very minor compared to previous days.

I'm not convinced the problem has vanished since, as i said, it can take a few days for this slowdown to showup but its nice to see how fast this phone can be :-> I just hope this was related to one of the widgets I disabled and if so then hopefully we can pin it down.

I should reiterate that its hard to reproduce this bug because you can't just run a bunch of stuff and see a slow-down. Rather the slowdown appears after having the phone running for a while and can happen even with very few apps running leading me to believe it was a memory leak in some background process. The thread above suggests its a problem with Hildon-Home.

@Catacylsm: it would be nice to hear how your experiment goes. Are you running any of the widgets I mentioned above (if you don't mind sharing)?

@slender: my problems were not all based around listening to music but its just very noticeable there because playbacks starts stuttering. When the phone was having a "slowdown" e.g. processing a picture would take forever even if the music player was not running.

I can point to a few things that seemed to really slow the phone down when I was having this problem:

- Music player
- Establishing 3G connection
- GPS locking (related to 3g connection cause its A-GPS)
- Taking photos (related to the GPS connection prob cause I used geotagging)
- Switching to portrait mode in browser or phone

In fact the portrait mode in the browser still seems to slow down the phone a bit. Does anyone know how I can re-disable it?

Hey there masq,

Seems the N900 is having a fair amount of problems for people, and yet i can't understand why.

Currently i am only running a shortcut to this thread on my N900, but on day 1 of 14 i was running Personal IP, conv inbox, and around another 15 without issue, just more CPU being used.

Currently im in a power saving state, disabled on time let, wifi scanning set to never, GPS disabled, (2g only), and some other things disabled.

Day 3 showed minor slowdown after the 8 hour and 30 minute idle (as i slept) for 2 minutes, supposedly i would just call that *waking up*, my computer shares the same simptoms, after that the device is running at full efficiency, no slowdowns, no animation flaws, browsing is fine, multitasking too, flash video perfect, music + browsing also perfect, no stutters.

CPU usage sat on 2.1 to 3%, root uses 1.1% mainly (xorg) and hildon (user the same) noticed hildon fluctuates with the signal strength and im pretty sure the CPU app in the main bar has influence.

If you like masq, to further the investigation, i will flood all 4 of my desktops/home screens with widgets of all sorts, contacts, shortcuts, and the reported "bug/unstable widges" and continue running them throughout the 14 days.

With regards to your problems, I'm finding that i have no problem listening to music, opening the camera shutter and it immediately firing up with no stutter, taking the picture works fine too, haven't tried 3g but i can do.

As for portrait/landscape mode, no issues there either, in both portrait and landscape mode my browser functions correctly.

I know that to enable orientation mode in the first place i think i pressed like cntrl shift and o?

Let me know what to do and i'l certainly try it out.

Tags
you're a mess