Notices

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
for the record, i for one am quite satisfied with the media player. i don't experience lag when browsing and listening to music (even on heavier sites like derstandard.at).

i don't have a problem with the sorting or anything either, because i tend to keep my music organized in albums and hand-tagging them anyways. that's just the most efficient option when your music gets distributed over several devices, because usually none of them is consistent in the way they handle files...

i'd appreciate a decent EQ, but that's about it.

maybe the performance problems some people experience aren't due to the media player at all, but to other installed apps?

Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
That is an awful excuse for anything. Nokia included the media player with the device. I think it's safe to say media playback is something a lot of people use their "personal computing devices" for. Setting aside feature requests, the performance of the media player isn't acceptable.
i am still baffled, how is the media player performance not acceptable? have u done any benchmark tests or u r just saying that.

i keep defending it because the audio quality is quite brilliant. There are other things like gsmarena pointed out. no eq, albumart has no fancy animation but how are they related to quality or output performance of the media player.

media player music playback / audio quality is very good. You might have issues due to some other reasons

Last edited by niqbal; 2010-02-10 at 20:55.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I'[m quite unsatisfied with the media player as a music player goes. It's way too basic.
- No EQ, weird tag sorting and very confusing way of creating playlists and no folder browsing etc.
- Media player widget doesn't work half the time. (Does nothing when pressing Play)
- The fact that you have to edit the tracker config file manually to exclude or include some folders is rubbish also.

MediaBox app is definitely better although it does use more cpu and music gets interrupted even when locking the phone.
Make the media player either open source or at least make a better one. It is bad. No doubt about it.
All of my friends and family tried it out and they did not like it saying it's too weak. That's just shows how it is.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Has anyone mentioned the lack of a playlist editor, equalizer, sorting by date/artist/album/import date/genre/etc, integration of automatic album art updating & downloading, change view from grid to list, and the ability to delete or send a file (over bluetooth/e-mail/etc) directly from the player itself without leaving to go to the file manager?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeromeo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
nokia claim they are the biggest maker of Media players in the world.
so saying this device is not meant to replace a media player is a bad excuse b/c nokia thinks there devices are replacements for them.
Reference please. A link to a Nokia spokesman saying that will be fine.

As far as panning the media player for not being about to bluetooth files, isn't that a function of a file manager not a media player?
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
It's not amazing it's about average. It does what it does but it's like most of GUI softwares on linux: Half-done right waiting for someone to finish it. Bit like "look what I can do also". Hopefully it improves after couple of fw updates.

.edit
And when we are talking about performance issues we have to remember that there is different kind of people. Those who do not recognize difference between 25 and 50 fps and those who see difference. Addition to this i really want feedback and speed from this device as Steve Jobs puts it: "Boom". click and music starts to play/stop etc. No 1s pause just immediately like it does on other devices.

Last edited by slender; 2010-02-10 at 22:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
for the record, i for one am quite satisfied with the media player. i don't experience lag when browsing and listening to music (even on heavier sites like derstandard.at).

i don't have a problem with the sorting or anything either, because i tend to keep my music organized in albums and hand-tagging them anyways. that's just the most efficient option when your music gets distributed over several devices, because usually none of them is consistent in the way they handle files...

i'd appreciate a decent EQ, but that's about it.

maybe the performance problems some people experience aren't due to the media player at all, but to other installed apps?
It is not simply a question of staying organised. All my music is organised. When I got an ipod touch I spent like a month tagging my music and downloading album art from various websites (because the album art view on the ipod touch is so beautiful you just have to have album art). I also went through each and every one of my 4000 songs retagging album artist (before I got an ipod touch I only had song artist tags but I had to do album artist tags to make album cover art flow work better). So my music is so well organised.

I transfer my music to the N900 and everything falls apart. For some reason for many songs it shows album artist rather than song artist. It is totally random. I have tried synching with Windows Media Player, Media Monkey, Winamp, drag & drop. I have tried tagging with those three programmes plus mp3 tag. Nothing makes a difference.

Most of my music is compilation albums, R&B or Hip Hop. If a media player is showing album artist for any of those it might as well not show anything. For compilation albums it will just show Various Artist because it is showing the album artist not song artist. For a Hip Hop song it could have five featured artist and the device will just show the person who has the album.

That is just one of the many problems I have with the media player. None of these are problems I had with my Creative Player of 10 years ago. And believe it or not the media player is meant to be an important aspect of the N900. I am sure the device would not have 32gb internal plus sd card slot if it did not have a media player.

There is really no excuse for a £500 phone with 32gb not having as good a media player as a £40 mp3 player irrespective of whether the £500 device makes coffee for some people.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I transfer my music to the N900 and everything falls apart. For some reason for many songs it shows album artist rather than song artist. It is totally random. I have tried synching with Windows Media Player, Media Monkey, Winamp, drag & drop. I have tried tagging with those three programmes plus mp3 tag. Nothing makes a difference.
hm i don't use the tag album artist, but that does seem kind of strange.
although this bug i found suggests that it does work for others... maybe you could add something to that?

and there's another bug filed regarding the display of album artist / song artist. feel free to vote!

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
It is not simply a question of staying organised. All my music is organised. When I got an ipod touch I spent like a month tagging my music and downloading album art from various websites (because the album art view on the ipod touch is so beautiful you just have to have album art). I also went through each and every one of my 4000 songs retagging album artist (before I got an ipod touch I only had song artist tags but I had to do album artist tags to make album cover art flow work better). So my music is so well organised.

Most of my music is compilation albums, R&B or Hip Hop. If a media player is showing album artist for any of those it might as well not show anything. For compilation albums it will just show Various Artist because it is showing the album artist not song artist. For a Hip Hop song it could have five featured artist and the device will just show the person who has the album.

That is just one of the many problems I have with the media player. None of these are problems I had with my Creative Player of 10 years ago. And believe it or not the media player is meant to be an important aspect of the N900. I am sure the device would not have 32gb internal plus sd card slot if it did not have a media player.

There is really no excuse for a £500 phone with 32gb not having as good a media player as a £40 mp3 player irrespective of whether the £500 device makes coffee for some people.
The issue with the album art has been addressed in at least 2 separate threads, the problem is how the songs have been tagged and solutions have been offered. Anything to do with iPhone is never going to be standard, iTunes is by definition a disaster.

And there us every excuse for a 500 pound device not being as good as playing music as a 40 pound mp3 player. ONE OF THEM IS AN MP3 PLAYER. That's all it does. It doesn't do anything else, the entirety of its existence is to play music. The N900's on the other hand is NOT solely to play music. As I said, when your 40 pound mp3 player can do ANYTHING else the N900 does I will be happy to listen to you compare the two devices.

I will now go back to trying to get my 3 year old mp3 player to play openarena. Its not working so well
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
The issue with the album art has been addressed in at least 2 separate threads, the problem is how the songs have been tagged and solutions have been offered.
The only conclusion reached in the threads on how the media player handles tags is that nobody has any idea how the media player handles tags.

I didn't buy my N900 just to replace my iPod Touch, I bought it to replace it in addition to the mobile computing aspects. If there is something that I know about every single PC that I have ever owned is that I could always find dozens of media players which did a better job that any dedicated PMP out there. There is just no good reason to excuse Nokia for releasing this half-assed media player, keeping it closed-sourced and without the ability to write plug-ins and giving no indication of wanting to improve it in the near future.

And frankly, you coming here and dismissing outright any sort of criticism is not helpful.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qw3rty For This Useful Post:

Tags
waiting impatiently