Active Topics

Notices

Hi! MStarDict is great program! But i think, you should add very useful feature: select direction (for example, En->En, De->En) and show only dictionaries of this direction. When you have got a lot of dictionaries, it is very hard to find the meaning you need (and every time enable/disable dictionaries is not useful)

Guys, I can't find those dictionaries in the forum. can anyone give me a link please?

Last edited by mtwt; 2010-03-26 at 18:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to mtwt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
Hi! MStarDict is great program! But i think, you should add very useful feature: select direction (for example, En->En, De->En) and show only dictionaries of this direction. When you have got a lot of dictionaries, it is very hard to find the meaning you need (and every time enable/disable dictionaries is not useful)
I think you're on the wrong track, there. One thing that is wonderful about MStarDic is that it presents multiple dictionary results so clearly.

What you might consider doing is arranging the order if the dictionaries in the options menu, which will subsequently mirror the order in which the definitions appear.

In this way, you can control which definitions come first, and you will know with certainty where the definition is that you would like.

For example, I have my Chinese-English dictionary listed last. The purpose being, whenever I look up a word in English for any reason (like for a simple definition, a word form, part of speech, origin, etc.) I'm always able to look at the Chinese translation as very the last thing I do. Doing this helps me build up my Chinese vocabulary in ways that I might not otherwise actively do.

hi guys where do I find the mydocs???i didn't see it anywhere . .

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by andrew_85 View Post
hi guys where do I find the mydocs???i didn't see it anywhere . .
If you open File Manager and tap on the N900 icon, that's MyDocs. It's also the root of the drive when connecting the N900 in mass storage mode, and is the Data folder when connecting in PC Suite mode.

thanks Rob1n i made the folder mstardict with inside 2 dictionary . . but nothing,still sayingn no loaded dictionary.what should I do??
thanks

thanks Rob1n i made the folder mstardict with inside 2 dictionary . . but nothing,still sayingn no loaded dictionary.what should I do??
thanks
You've extracted the dictionary files into their own folders inside the mstardict folder?

Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
I think you're on the wrong track, there. One thing that is wonderful about MStarDic is that it presents multiple dictionary results so clearly.
What should I do now: I wait for 5-7seconds (it's not a joke!) until this programm opens. After that I press one key and the programm hangs for 2-3 seconds (it looks the words, starting with this letter). After entering all letters I get a very big list of meaning of this word in all dictionaries (in some dictionaries articles are really big!). And I should scroll this list, till I get the meaning I need.

And if I make En->En (for example) dictionaries first, than I should scroll for a very long time to find En->Es.

I need to have a LOT of dictionaries. That's the problem. If it would have some filter (En->De or En-En), it could open/work faster, I think.
On Symbian it was wonderful app - Lingvo. It was able to find exact entry in the database for 2-3 millions of words for less than 1 second. On N900 there is not such application...

P.S.: sorry for my English..

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
You've extracted the dictionary files into their own folders inside the mstardict folder?

yes i did
it should work the extention file is xdxf . .why it doesn't work??seems so easy to do it.

yes i did
it should work the extention file is xdxf . .why it doesn't work??seems so easy to do it.
There's been a few people complaining about XDXF dictionaries not working - I've not tried any of those myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:

Tags
dictionary, mstardict