Posts: 286 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ down south
now i'm certainly not a troll..but am seriously considering jumping ship to Android- liking the htc desire at moment.

i have bought my last Nokia for a good few yrs now..totally agree that the support has not been there at all. if it wasnt for some good developers i would have gone a couple months back...well done to you- i have donated to worthwhile developers on here but Nokia seriously need to do something worthwhile to get my business back after this!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dread123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ United Kingdom
I don't think it's a particularly good pocketable microcomputer at the moment either. Apart from the decent browser, it doesn't do any of the other stuff I'd like to do with a portable computer like Twitter, Office, Video chat, gaming, etc.

I hope it gets a bit more support soon, both from Nokia and from Third parties. At the moment it feels like I gambled on it and lost...

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by kbeeveer46 View Post
I'd still like to know how the n900 is more of a microcomputer than, for example, an iPhone. Just because one feature came first doesn't mean it's any better at it than another phone.

I'm just tired of people using the excuse "You should have known you were buying a computer that just happened to have a phone argument" when people are disappointed with the n900.

People buy the n900 as a phone because it has more phone features than features that make it a "tablet."
The N900 is more of a microcomputer than the iPhone because it runs desktop Linux, and using desktop Linux API's and programs.

You can't take a desktop OSX program, compile and run it on the iPhone.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
Your average computer/phone user doesn't have to do any compiling of anything.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freemantle For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
The N900 is more of a microcomputer than the iPhone because it runs desktop Linux, and using desktop Linux API's and programs.

You are right but many people bought the n900 thinking "Oh great, it runs an open OS so there should be a lot of customizations and apps." This has not been the case so far. Hence why some people are frustrated. You might say, "well, it took the iPhone several months/years to get where they are now" but like someone else pointed out, does that mean, as n900 users we're paying $500-600 for a "device" that's going to always be 2-3 years behind what's already out there?

Last edited by kbeeveer46; 2010-03-15 at 15:23.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kbeeveer46 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I'd still like to know how the n900 is more of a microcomputer than, for example, an iPhone. Just because one feature came first doesn't mean it's any better at it than another phone.

I'm just tired of people using the excuse "You should have known you were buying a computer that just happened to have a phone argument" when people are dissappointed with the n900.

People buy the n900 as a phone because it has more phone features than features that make it a "tablet."
I agree. I think "mobile phone" and "mobile computer" are synonyms at this point.

I think most people who buy a mobile phone probably expect to use their phone like a computer. And look at most of the commercials on TV, they advertise the apps, email, IM, facebook, twitter, streaming music, watching TV, web browsing, etc. (at least in the USA)

Also, I think the N95 was marketed by Nokia something like "It's what computers have become". I don't remember people saying "N95 is not a phone, it just happens to be a computer that is able to make calls..."

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
I'd still like to know how the n900 is more of a microcomputer than, for example, an iPhone.
True multi-tasking.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
"Oh great, it runs an open OS so there should be a lot of customizations and apps."
There are. They aren't handed to you on a silver platter however. People are working on that, though.

This has not been the case so far. Hence why some people are frustrated. You might say, "well, it took the iPhone several months/years to get where they are now" but like someone else pointed out, does that mean, as n900 users we're paying $500-600 for a "device" that's going to always be 2-3 years behind what's already out there?
If you think that there is parity between the N900 and the iPhone, you should have gone with the iPhone. They target two entirely different markets. Personally, I like not having to "jailbreak" my device to retain control over it, or do As Jobs Intended.

Man, the FUD is coming out of the woodwork this morning.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Turku, Finland
Originally Posted by TheLoz View Post
it doesn't do any of the other stuff I'd like to do with a portable computer like Twitter, Office, Video chat, gaming, etc.
For twitter, use the browser or mauku

You can use openoffice through easy-debian, or you can use google docs through the browser

Does the iPhone have video chatting?

Must agree on gaming, there are some nice games, but while I mean no disrespect to the developers (I want to thank you for what we currently have!) most other phones beat us, real hard

The Following User Says Thank You to antoarts For This Useful Post:
I personally think that the lack of external (bluetooth) keyboard support makes the N900 not an IT. No one seems to mention this, and it is the biggest let down for me (an N800 owner).
Still, I will probably use this phone as long as it still functions. I am concerned about Google's information gathering, and the iPhone is too locked down and simplistic. I have no other good options as a result (though WebOS looks tempting).

Last edited by lancewex; 2010-03-15 at 15:51.

Tags
bye-bye losers, disappointment, hello freedom, n900 != phone, relax