Notices

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Crust View Post
The camera may be 30 fps, but I believe that the pixels are updated at different times. If you pull the data from the pixel level instead of the frame level, won't you have enough temporal resolution? For example, if you aim a remote control at the camera, you'll have millions of pixels updating at different times, won't you?
exactly.

if you have 5mpix and you only need 4 red ones (with right circumstances) so it could be possible. depens on buses etc though.

but if data read&transfer isn't the limiting part, you'll get 4mpix 30fps > 4pix 30kHz (so above 30kHz with 5MP)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ~phoenix~ View Post
wtf?? ir port dont support input?? so i am not able to send pics from an old phone with ir only to my n900?!? sry but how stupid is that??
the guy who didn't do his research before buying is the stupid one.

n900 has remote ir tx, typical phone has irda.

imo it is great that I don't have option to wait a month if one wants to send me a picture via irda.....

e: and I suggest that you buy E -series phone if you need ir data transfers
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Anyway, if it is not for communication why is that port even there? Controlling your tv isn't probably what the developers were thinking, it's to awkward to point that side of the device to the TV and the range is too short.
1. yes it was. otherwise it would have been irda.....

2. well, I'm typing now in livingroom and 10 degree tilt aligns the port directly to the televisions receiver....

3. the range is significantly longer than with irda
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
3. the range is significantly longer than with irda
Range doesn't have anything to do with IrDA ability (unless the controller is foobar). Case in point, my m130 has more range than my N900 (the first one's IR port being primarily designed for IrDA but also capable of CIR), while on the other side the Palm T|X range sucked.

Also, missing a receiving port pretty much kills the remote use case for the majority of users (no learning). So again, pondering and pondering why is the thing there....

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-03-28 at 20:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
lol nice point. i like having ir transmit, its cool, and anything i have to receive via ir is probably going to be available faster and better via other means (that said a bus stop once ir'd me a voucher for 10% off at next, i never used it but thought it was damn cool too!)
Your equivalent to the bus stop now is bluetooth. It is used sometimetimes in conjunction with RFID too. The cheper alternate is the square images used to encode data streams for url's etceteras. In this scenario IrDA wasn't sensible as dirty or someone breaking the bam caused issues.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
even at the pop-port ages, half nokia phones did have other type of ports (or didn't have a port at all). Anyway pop-port does provide backward compatibility only with your usb cable. IR provides communication with a variety of older devices as well as the possibility to really exploit the transmitting function (record new remotes on the fly)

Anyway, if it is not for communication why is that port even there? Controlling your tv isn't probably what the developers were thinking, it's to awkward to point that side of the device to the TV and the range is too short.
Pop port used to be used for several types of devices, not just usb.

The stated reason for IR transmission functionality was to give developers and hackers something 'neat' to play with.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Range doesn't have anything to do with IrDA ability (unless the controller is foobar). Case in point, my m130 has more range than my N900 (the first one's IR port being primarily designed for IrDA but also capable of CIR), while on the other side the Palm T|X range sucked.

Also, missing a receiving port pretty much kills the remote use case for the majority of users (no learning). So again, pondering and pondering why is the thing there....
I suspect that the community came up with something a little more sophisticated than the original design team had thought of. The impression I got from the various Nokiommunications was that it might be used in projects like Push for controlling custom devices. In this scenario you would be expected to know your own transmission codes.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Your equivalent to the bus stop now is bluetooth. It is used sometimetimes in conjunction with RFID too. The cheper alternate is the square images used to encode data streams for url's etceteras. In this scenario IrDA wasn't sensible as dirty or someone breaking the bam caused issues.
yeah ur right as far as not sensible goes, i thought it was downright crazy TBH but thats why it made me smile so much!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
The impression I got from the various Nokiommunications was that it might be used in projects like Push for controlling custom devices.
I'm all for "geekports" and the like, but I seriously doubt that the Push project is the reason Nokia added CIR hardware to a consumer device.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
The point of the IR was to provide transmit ability. IrDA was replaced with bluetooth so why would you need both.
I don't get it, why even nowadays TV/DVB/Hifi-home entertainment device manufacturers do not put Bluetooth into their devices but still use only IR.

Maybe the reason is that Bluetooth SIG haven't created a stardard for remote control of entertainment devices. Would love to have a standard and BT chips in about everything!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post: