Active Topics

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
I ran out of Apps to run on my N82 so the new world record stands at 66!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2LR22RFFOA

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney Australia
What exactly is being tested here?? The amount of applications that can be launched and suspended (typically limited by RAM) or the number of applications that can actually RUN simultaneously (typically limited by CPU power and in a small way RAM).

Most applications are sitting waiting some sort of input so I would class them in test one - yes they are not suspended by the OS but since they are waiting for info they are suspended by themselves.

The best way to test scenario one is to run an application that actually does something all the time, then run another instance, the another, then another and so on.

I remember in the days of windows NT and windows 95 there was a simple bezier drawing test exe that microsoft used to flaunt, that showed you could run multiple instances of it. At the point where CPU bandwidth became an issue you would see all of them slowing down. We really need an application like this to show the performance of multitasking between the phones.

I think it is just to simply show what OS can have the most applications open at the sime time and still be usable. Symbian appears to be the OS to beat when it comes to multitasking stability. I have run instances of Quake and Quake 2 at the same time for active multitasking and S60 v3 handles that well. Since those are not native apps, they continue to run "live" in the background without pausing to the menu or anything from what I can tell. Same thing with the N900 just and a prettier scale on our mobile pc.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney Australia
well if thats the case just do a

Code:
ps >> the_list.txt
There you have it more than 60 processes running already and not even a single application running yet

what a show off arrogant phone.... its not fair to other phones that we even have a thread like this that is realistic. smh @ all the other smart phones i passed over.

Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
what a show off arrogant phone.... its not fair to other phones that we even have a thread like this that is realistic. smh @ all the other smart phones i passed over.
LOL, what is a shame is how I didn't buy a new phone for 2 years because no other phone could top my N82 in features. I was dying to change phones by the time the N900 came out...took Nokia FOREVER to make better hardware than the N82/N95/E90 era. I passed over many an eycatching device to keep the usability and freedom that a Hardware Accelerated S60 device offered.....

*Takes off rose tinted hindsight glasses*

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
The actual thing I guess is the application actually running in the background, isn't it? coz symbian's multitasking way is nothing real like n900, again isn't it? and I guess samsung is using the same way.. but I can be soo wrong ...
My N900 running at 850 ulv kernel from titan gave up after opening 26 apps with actually running apps like - conky, media player playing music, bounce and angry birds playing its home screen things, maps and not sure about others - 3 web pags etc.. However, the cpu wasn't 850 all the time and had to manually restart the device i.e take the battery off

BTW ya the test is completely pointless as I dont think anyone will use that many apps at once not even in computer and not even in a week

Last edited by jaeezzy; 2010-04-13 at 05:26.