Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
It could be worse it could be "emacs vs vi"!
or "Linux vs Gnu/Linux"
or " \" vs "/"
or "Google vs Bing"
or "C# vs Java"
or "Muhammad Ali vs Bruce Lee"
or "Star Wars vs Star Trek"
ad nauseum
That's basically what it is, at the end of the day. This is an open ecosystem, use the tools you want to use. You're not being forced into anything.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by admiral0 View Post
Welcome to 1995 boys and girls, when nobody doesn't know what oop means.
Let me introduce you the 2k+ programming: http://live.gnome.org/Vala

Originally Posted by w00t View Post
At the end of the day, if you're not happy with the situation as it is, get involved. Help develop Qt, help shape the tools, help make things happen - don't sit in an armchair and paint the bikeshed.

This, I think, is what many of us want to do, but are afraid that we won't be able to "shape the tools" let alone "make things happen."

It's MOC, not MUC. And QMake is just a build system, you aren't forced to use it.

If you want to know what it does, I'd suggest looking at the documentation for it.
Typo.
Also, i know what they do. I code qt and have nothing against that. Just pointed out that admiral is ok to accept them, while claiming other tools and layers of abstraction are bad at the same time (because they exist, not based on what they achieve)
C++ also started as a c++ -> c compiler in some implementations..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to viraptor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Konceptz View Post
This, I think, is what many of us want to do, but are afraid that we won't be able to "shape the tools" let alone "make things happen."
Have you actually tried? I've now gotten three patches into Qt the past month, two via talking to Qt developers about my concerns, one via submitting a merge request on Gitorious.

Visit #qt-labs on freenode sometime. They don't bite.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Have you actually tried? I've now gotten three patches into Qt the past month, two via talking to Qt developers about my concerns, one via submitting a merge request on Gitorious.

Visit #qt-labs on freenode sometime. They don't bite.
Try doing that with the Linux kernel developers!

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Try doing that with the Linux kernel developers!
Jokes aside, I'm sure it's quite possible to work with them, if you know what you're doing, and more importantly, you're willing to work to a high standard.

A lot of the time, the second point isn't something that people realise. They do something to add/change a pet point of theirs, which is great (scratch the itch and all), but to make that palatable to other people, you need to understand that your itch needs to apply to everyone else, too.

An example from my own personal experience was many years ago when I wanted a patch to fix an issue I encountered with an IRC client. I sent it in, and it didn't make it in. I realise (with hindsight) that my solution fixed *my* case but broke other cases, and that's why it wasn't acceptable.

Not everyone has standards that are that high, but to be honest, for something as critical as the library so much software is developed on (Qt) or something like the kernel which is even more mission critical, I'm willing to accept that there *will* be a few hoops to jump through if I want to get my itch scratched.

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
The QT discussion is small compared with the RPM.. For me i was a bit sad to hear QT was coming as i dislike KDE.. but can live with it. I am not a developer and the discussions about this have been very educational. This is just programs though.. I can choose to run QT apps or not.

My fear are the switch from Debian to the Moblin way of doing.. It might not be a hugh thing (i hope so).. but here is where i draw the line. I am a debian fanboy and will stay like that. I will never follow on to the rpm way of doing.. i did rpm before and it made me sick. Great we have the Moebian project.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moscow
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Let me introduce you the 2k+ programming: http://live.gnome.org/Vala
another gnome only ****? I hate gnome for their support of mono, that's enough for me.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
The QT discussion is small compared with the RPM.. For me i was a bit sad to hear QT was coming as i dislike KDE.. but can live with it. I am not a developer and the discussions about this have been very educational. This is just programs though.. I can choose to run QT apps or not...
Don't let KDE cloud your judgement on QT.
They just so happen to use QT as the underlying library.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:

Tags
flamewar ftw, gtk ftw, gtk is simpler, gtk+, ide religion, maemo5, misguided rant, n gtk support, no qt, pointless, qt ftw, qt is simple, qt=not cute, stupid fud, trollparty