Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I don't recall the OP ever stating why the N900 was purchased. If it were for Linux based reasons... then keep it.

If it were for "shiny shiny" (read: because it's one of the newer Nokia phones) then return it.

The blind way people are answering should be avoid until the reason why it was purchased and thus more accurate advice could be administered for this user.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I don't recall the OP ever stating why the N900 was purchased. If it were for Linux based reasons... then keep it.

If it were for "shiny shiny" (read: because it's one of the newer Nokia phones) then return it.

The blind way people are answering should be avoid until the reason why it was purchased and thus more accurate advice could be administered for this user.
If he had a certain reason to buy it, he would have posted it.

He is disappointed and influenced by the people in this community.
Which is a very bad reason to have, to send it back.

He thinks that this device is full of problems, because all he reads are threads about problems.

Which device is perfect though?

Originally Posted by God View Post
Which device is perfect though?
No device is perfect.

But I'd prefer one where the USB port doesn't fall out under normal usage and to avoid it, I have to shave down the micro-USB plugs.

No device is perfect.

But I'd prefer one where the USB port doesn't fall out under normal usage and to avoid it, I have to shave down the micro-USB plugs.
You make it sound as if such behavior was par for the course for the N900. Maybe I got a defective unit, mine hasn't fallen out in ~6 months of daily usage...?

No device is perfect.

Thats the reason I´ve been looking at the milestone/droid. When/if it falls out its nice to have a alternative

Originally Posted by dbl2010 View Post
I just bought a brand new N900 and it is shipped. Because I was excited while I am waiting this new baby, I came here to check what is going on.

But here I see unhappy, frustrated user community. Lack of software support/update, lack of response from Nokia officials . I am an long/loyal Nokia user. Currently I own an N95 8GB, I had 2 Nokia's before. I still believe Nokia is leading cell phone company, but obviously it falls behind these days especially on software side but I hoped N900 will be a solution.

I am very disappointed after spending several hours here and reading responses. Should I return my N900?

Please advise, I'd appreciate the help.

Thank you,

Dbl
Just my 2c. The N8 is THE phone to purchase, and well worth waiting for (all phones from all manufacturers considered). The N900 is cool, the best phone I have ever had, but I cannot recommend it for these reasons:

Maemo is dead, and it is unknown if a decent MeeGo ever will be available.
Build quality is substandard compared with usual Nokia quality. This is not only the "shell", but the electronics as well.
We have basic MMS now, but it's still lots of functionality missing.

My bet right now is that Nokia is re-focusing. Symbian for phones, and MeGoo for devices that are considerably larger than phones, thus the N900 is a dead end road both when considering hardware and software.

But, if a decent MeeGo comes for the N900, things will change completely.

Not sure why so many people are unhappy with the phone.
I came from the N95 8gb and love the N900.
Everything is fast and smooth
Paid 750 $ and think the price was ok.

Last edited by NokiaRocks; 2010-05-24 at 19:42.

No device is perfect.

Mine hasn't had that an I'm reckless with it

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
You make it sound as if such behavior was par for the course for the N900. Maybe I got a defective unit, mine hasn't fallen out in ~6 months of daily usage...?
But it's par for the course that if you're having a problem in the US - the OP listed out the price in USD - that you might not get quality service. Most of the people that have received their phones back unfixed were mostly Americans.

There's a 1400+ reply thread that sorta shows me that the USB port is not a resolved item as of yet for a lot of people... consider yourself lucky if you don't have that problem. Consider yourself part of a sizable group if it does happen to you.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
Mine hasn't had that an I'm reckless with it
Doesn't mean that others also have not exprienced it.

It's confirmed from Nokia that there was USB fault in some devices.