Active Topics

the most important part here is Qt. Meego and Symbian apps can also be targetted to the 900. We should see at least a decent increase in apps now over the next few months.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
Okay so what about the "nokia" news about dual boot for Meego and Maemo i guess this was a lie?

Iam happy about PR 1.2 now for the Moment but how many offical Updates we will see after this?

@madnes why do you say Meego is a new System its mostly from Maemo Components as you can see at some threads here its called a better Maemo 6.

So for me this is really angry i just hope that the next news arent Meego is based now on a higher version of QT or something like this and that we really can use the Apps at the N900.

Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
Okay so what about the "nokia" news about dual boot for Meego and Maemo i guess this was a lie?

Iam happy about PR 1.2 now for the Moment but how many offical Updates we will see after this?

@madnes why do you say Meego is a new System its mostly from Maemo Components as you can see at some threads here its called a better Maemo 6.

So for me this is really angry i just hope that the next news arent Meego is based now on a higher version of QT or something like this and that we really can use the Apps at the N900.
You could dual boot but not with "official" firmware

Originally Posted by Glasswalker View Post
I've got to admit that it doesn't bother me wether the N900 gets an official port of MeeGo or not. First I'm quite sure that someone will port it over and second I'm quite happy with Maemo as it is. As long as Nokia doesn't stop to support it as soon as MeeGo goes on sale.
You act as if porting an OS to a device is an easy task. Maemo, despite a surface appearance of openness, contain quite a few closed source components without which huge chunks of basic functionality are missing and have to be reimplemented. To date, there isn't really a viable community supported release of Maemo for any of the Nokia devices. It is small wonder almost no 3rd party manufacturers have attempted to make a device based on Maemo, while it is hard not to trip on all the new android devices coming out near daily.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
all i care about is flash 10.1. i want GPU support

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to felbutss For This Useful Post:
"rest assured that Nokia will continue to support the core Maemo software on your Nokia N900"

So is that going to be like the assurance we got for the n810 platform?.....or more like death in under 9 month and your outdated device gets laughed at. People I'd just like to say from my NOKIA to my wallet: Thanks you for your money and oh yea best wishes, rest assured we gotcha guys!

Nokia is the most pathetic incompetent pack of losers to ever walk into an IT room or get in the market. With hopes of being truely "open" after relying on the market on zero innovation and a 100% reliance on Symbian they are losing market share and running scarred for the hill.

You know what, keep your MeeGo, Intel is going to create their own locked down OS built especially for their Moorestown chip and MeeGo is just going to be a bridge gaper along with Android. Which, might I add, are just about light years ahead of you, at least they support the user who shells out the $500 for your unfinished device. And Apple? They are in a different universe comparing to you. You know as much as I hate em and how much they get bashed by zealot users on this site, you can still install any new app on your very first iphone 8bg that you bought back in 2006 to this day and it runs at near identical speeds.

One more thing, I've had my posts deleted before, posts that were not insulting that were not violating any rules set in place, why were they deleted, because they were not favorable to Nokia. So if any of you folks feel that Nokia is going to be something more "open" in the future, your lying to yourself.

My personal take on the future is that open is going to all close, minus maybe openmoko. And the closes that anyone is going to get to being truely "open" and at the same time competent, it is going to be the Android platform. Currently Nokia cannot satisfy even one of those....

/rant

Last edited by saruji; 2010-05-25 at 07:25.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to saruji For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
while it is hard not to trip on all the new android devices coming out near daily.
I'm pretty sure those companies obtained a license from Google. There was android before the Nexus 1. WM 7 will be on multiple devices but it isn;t open

flash 10 support would be good now, can then watch iplayer, tv catchup etc!

I dont care too much for meego as long as we now get the apps on maemo i'll be happy.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
I'm pretty sure those companies obtained a license from Google. There was android before the Nexus 1. WM 7 will be on multiple devices but it isn;t open
Yeah, speaking as an Android owner whose phone came out about 4 months before the N900, you guys have now officially gotten 1 more software update than I have (and will likely ever get).

So the grass isn't always greener. Be happy the phone is being improved.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switchfiend For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Let's remember that this all about user experience. Polishing software is a lot of work. Polishing each application for resistive screen (as good as it is) is not trivial considering that we are making the UI for our Nokia product on MeeGo for capacitive screens as we have said already in Maemo Summit 2009.
While I understand the reasons, I still believe that such non-trivial effort should have been made.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:

Tags
dejavu, egocentric, premonition, wegot1newloser