Poll: Would You miss the Council if it was gone?
Poll Options
Would You miss the Council if it was gone?

Closed Thread
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by un-named_user View Post
I'll genuinely give you the effort Texrat I've seen you put in here and at Meego forums. I also can see the Python support thing that the Council brought up recently as a good thing.

But I always have wanted to see visible posts by the council bringing up other issues, didn't matter if Nokia screwed us or played ignorant as usual. Put it up on the forums as it is, for I want to know where to place my anger(I'm kidding I know its Nokia ). Doing anything behind closed doors is kinda pointless when the Council is supposedly so for the people.

The MyNokia debacle, the Council's stand and Nokia's handling of the whole issue however makes me realize one thing.

At the end of the day, the Council is for the most part not capable of delivering the mission statement it has on the wiki page.

Because, Nokia does not use the Council as a conduit for passing relevant information and they seemingly ignore for the most part whatever the Council (claims) to inform them of.

To me, a simple end user. You are 5 respected people(once in a while to the point of looking like Nokia fanboys or apologists ) who genuinely have a passion for the platform and the better interests of the general community in mind.

But, the Council.. I really honestly don't care about, though simply because I haven't seen "Nokia" care for it or its opinions & you all would still be doing the same thing as 5 individuals and getting similar results.. a few good things in between the whole horse crap that Nokia's commitment to either the Maemo 5 or the N900 or its current users is.
Thank you for your input, and I won't go into the quibbles.

But I do want to touch on something Jaffa said in another thread:

Did anyone complain when previous councils worked to get community members sponsored to previous summits?

Did anyone complain when council members worked to get devices into the hands of developers?

Do you think the people I picked to go to Santa Clara (at Nokia's request) a while back complained? Should the community have complained?

Forget those who were miffed over their own lack of selection-- do you get where I'm going with this?

Those were success stories, guys. And I can find several for every single allegation of council ineffectiveness, incompetence, etc.

SOMEone has to step up and assume leadership. It makes sense to have an at-large elected body facilitating these things rather than corporate-selected people. Right? Especially since Nokia will have the wrong bias.

And actually Nokia HAS communicated through us (and in general)-- problem is the messages were not well-received. And I understand completely. I'm not pleased with many decisions and have stated so many times.

But some here continue to confuse undesired or failed results with inactivity by the council. Sorry, but that's just nuts. It's not even ineffectivity or incompetence. It's just the unsurprising pain that comes with trying to push the Titannic away from the iceberg. The captain is stubbornly fixed on his course. And no, contrary to one allegation we are not so fixed. We are naturally open to community input.

It's just a damned shame more of that input is occurring tonight than has in the entire year up to now. And no, that is not entirely the fault of the council. The community has ongoing obligations, too. "Fire and forget" should not be a mode of voting.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
let's start a thread "would anybody miss silvermountain and his pointless rant?"

tmo, sigh!

/j

ps: for you tmo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usm9SpnHYJQ I know who brought the quicksand, and who's the small animal at the very end. The rest of you feel free to identify with the giraffe

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2010-08-11 at 05:20. Reason: 5 stages, dunno which one tmo is in right now in general

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
let's start a thread "would anybody miss silvermountain and his pointless rant?"

tmo, sigh!
/j
Ack. Let's not. I'm against threads created to attack ANY community member. Don't make me moderate tonight!

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Thank you for your input, and I won't go into the quibbles.

But I do want to touch on something Jaffa said in another thread:

Did anyone complain when previous councils worked to get community members sponsored to previous summits?
Not knowing which are your comments and what are Jaffa's I'll just assume they are all yours.

a) No, why would anyone complain about that? Is it just made into a question to be argumentative? ( ) I've actually thought the Summits seemed nice for the people that have the skills to appreciate them and/or being productive there.

Did anyone complain when council members worked to get devices into the hands of developers?
I guess it was just poorly communicated what the Council's efforts were in that and that it wasn't just Nokia looking for free testers.

Do you think the people I picked to go to Santa Clara (at Nokia's request) a while back complained? Should the community have complained?
I don't know. What was the outcome/deliverables of that? If you could point me to the Council write-up of what was accomplished I'll just read that.

Those were success stories, guys. And I can find several for every single allegation of council ineffectiveness, incompetence, etc.
So by that you are saying that the Council in its current state and recent accomplishments is effective and competent?

But some here continue to confuse undesired or failed results with inactivity by the council. Sorry, but that's just nuts. It's not even ineffectivity or incompetence.
Lack of communication, inability to show a structured, readable lists of tasks with owners and due dates, inability to being able to convey to the community what is being worked on and how, lacking status updates on open issues/tasks, poor transparency into how issues are being selected and resolved, poor results in getting Nokia's attention to issues brought to their tables (an issue you brought up yourself), having a very low recognition w/in the Community about what the "Council" is and what it is doing, etc - is to me not very confusing when I choose to use words such as "Inefficient" and "Incompetent".

It's just a damned shame more of that input is occurring tonight than has in the entire year up to now. And no, that is not entirely the fault of the council. The community has ongoing obligations, too. "Fire and forget" should not be a mode of voting.
I also believe that writing "And no, that is not entirely the fault of the council" - instead of "And yes, that is in part the fault of the council" is a subtle yet telling difference in how defensive one is.

And since you wrote "SOMEone has to step up and assume leadership" - with that comes the role of managing expectations from the community, gathering and prioritizing issues/tasks, being active in communicating status on said issues and, maybe most importantly in this type of community, have a full transparency on who is driving what, what is happening and how work is being done.

Is the "Council" ready to do that or is it just a vehicle to send people to summits and get people devices early?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post

tmo, sigh!
/j
I wouldn't. He is such a whining, unconstructive git. I say we ban him.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

silvermountain, you're right back to choosing confrontation over constructive dialog. Let me know if/when you throttle back from attack mode and actually want to discuss the subject honestly, seriously and without malice. I will gladly do the same.

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Michigan
Thanks for your question. There are certainly pros and cons to what you propose. I can't help but be keenly aware of the cons, though.

Plenty of fighting/complaining/venting occurs here, publicly, already. Council members even participate. Hell, me, too much.

At some point we need to decide what battles make sense in broad daylight, and which ones to fight in the dark sewers. Public noise is good for initial attention-getting-- but often the solutions must be found in quieter zones. Too much harsh light of scrutiny, and your combatant might well retreat. We have to stay cognizant of that. Nokia sure is.

That said, my personal preference is do do everything out in the open. I have just found that sometimes process breaks down when all of it is public. So we have a council channel where we will discuss issues, inform each other, try to come to consensus. We could not accomplish that in every case in completely public channels. Noise interferes.

Now, these are just my thoughts. I am hoping the rest of the council will chime in. I am also interested in your rebuttals.

Thanks again for focusing the dialog.

EDIT:

I want to add something in general.

This is the most council entreaty I've seen in some time. I can say with personal disappointment that there are numerous, numerous council-related posts, tweets and emails that have been met with little or no response from the community. Ironic, given this thread.

So tonight's engagement, while largely contentious, has also been good if I'm going to be strictly objective.

Thank you to all participants. I mean that.
I see your point and it's a hard situation to be in. As you make more things public overall control is lost.

However the same is true about keeping things behind closed doors you cut off outside communication to the community.

Something which comes to mind to help this issue would be to expand the current concil members from 5 to maybe 8 or 10. I honestly don't know much details about the concil however it sounds to me that the current concil members are either overworked or not getting results. I am not blaming just stating from what I have heard here.

This is a hard thing to deal with in any situation however it's very common among IT industry such as Service Desks and also Operational Control positions. Anyone who has done ITIL will know what I mean by those terms.

silvermountain, you're right back to choosing confrontation over constructive dialog. Let me know if/when you throttle back from attack mode and actually want to discuss the subject honestly, seriously and without malice. I will gladly do the same.
Actually they were not meant to be overly confrontational.
Your post just came across as very, very defensive (and understandable so) for the Council and what it has done. I was simply questioning some of the content in it.

It's not that I am saying that the Council has never done anything good - all I'm saying is that today I see it as being stagnant, inefficient, non-communicating and expressing very poor, basic project management skills. The examples you brought up are some of the good ones (Summit invites and early devices to developers) but the way you phrase it in that you can find several ones for every counterpoint you get is simply not true anymore (OR there are...and they were never communicated...).

No malice intended. Re-read my post with a mickey mouse voice in your head if that helps.

Originally Posted by Bijiont View Post
I see your point and it's a hard situation to be in. As you make more things public overall control is lost.

However the same is true about keeping things behind closed doors you cut off outside communication to the community.

Something which comes to mind to help this issue would be to expand the current concil members from 5 to maybe 8 or 10. I honestly don't know much details about the concil however it sounds to me that the current concil members are either overworked or not getting results. I am not blaming just stating from what I have heard here.

This is a hard thing to deal with in any situation however it's very common among IT industry such as Service Desks and also Operational Control positions. Anyone who has done ITIL will know what I mean by those terms.
I grant your point about closed doors. Somehow balance needs to be found. I'm not sure we achieved it. But again, more input would have been nice.

Anyway, at this point I am struggling to think beyond this term.

There is no clear sign that a council will happen for MeeGo. There is no clear sign one will be needed/wanted for Maemo going forward. So much is in the air right now. Also, I had already stated I would not serve more than two terms in a row. That was to make room for others, and give myself a break-- the latter more a motivation than it was months ago, largely based on the undeserved nastiness we've seen here tonight and recently.

I still believe in the concept. What I would really like to see is every single complainer run for the next maemo.org term. I will even vote for the loudest one(s). I challenge people like silvermountain to get up, quit complaining, and put their heartfelt ideals to work. Find a purpose for this place, this collection of people. Don't just rant about "council incompetence"-- SHOW the community what you would do better. PROVE it.

I have a hard time respecting the opinions of those who attack the community and/or council and yet refuse to step up and take some of the heat we have.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Michigan
There is no clear sign that a council will happen for MeeGo. There is no clear sign one will be needed/wanted for Maemo going forward.
Hmm welp there goes my idea about adding members to the council hehe.

Welp I am going to keep reading but unless I have another idea which makes sence I am lurking it.

At this point all I can do is hope for the best

Closed Thread

Tags
community, council, maemo.org