Active Topics

Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
CYPHERC:

Have you tried turning auto-rotate on the phone settings to OFF?

Once I did this my problems with answering calls virtually disappeared. I still occasionally have a problem accepting calls if I am typing or scrolling at the time but otherwise my phone works fine. I have installed Phone Speakers Switch which gives the prox. sensor a good workout and usually dial out via K9 Call.

As for your Media Player and other problems all I can suggest is a careful re-flash of the FW (both images). It took a couple of goes on mine to get a clean install.

My music player occasionally stutters when first playing but very soon settles down. when playing videos I occasionally get a stutter or a jump but this is so rare it is not a problem.

You may have issues relating to apps you have downloaded - I have experienced problems with some early releases. It's a pain but the only thing to do is reflash and individually download apps so you can monitor performance and anomalies/bugs. I found Conboy very useful for keeping a log on this.

The only multitasking and/or slow-running problems I have seem to relate to Bluetooth use - I'm still working on that, but it is only a minor irritation.

I am not a developer or have any programming insight to offer. I am a 'technologist' in the sense that I cannot tell you how electricity works, but I know how to change a lightbulb!

Good luck sorting your N900. I hope you get it to the stable, useable state that I enjoy on mine.
Impressive attitude, and thank you very much for the tips i'll try

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Im getting another phone
Okay, so why should we care?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@CYPHERC
It sounds that you might have installed something that makes your N900 crawl or you might have triggered some bug.

You can list installed applications to xterm with command
maemo-list-user-packages

To make list text-file you can run command
maemo-list-user-packages > list.txt
And attach list to your message (you have to write in advanced mode here if you want to attach files)

Other useful command in xterm is:
Which shows processes sorted by cpu usage. Xorg should take about ~2-4% but any other process (if you have closed all apps and virtually nothig else is not running) should not take over that.

And about phone application and rotation. I have noticed that I try to avoid portrait with this device as much as possible. It just doesn't work as it should. I have set (from phone app top menu) phone app to always landscape mode so that i do not have to worry about rotation issue when answering phone call. After a while it feels comfortable :|

Originally Posted by CYPHERC View Post
Well i got an iPhone but is a loan, the company gave me this while i wait for the Samsung Galaxy S or the EVO but they are not sure if they are gonna bring the Evo so i guess the Samsung Galaxy will be my choice... but im starting to like the iphone lol, i hated it now i think is pretty cool... lol
Most of my colleagues have iPhones or Blackberries, the BB are generally forced onto them via work. You can tell who the iPhone owners are as when one good game comes out, their productivity plummets

Most of the nix admins have symbian or android phones. A new colleague was crying over how he brought a N97 a few weeks before the N900 came out... I will let him drool over mine, but no touching!

If the Galaxy is your choice then I think go for the S version as I believe that should meet minimum specs for Android 3.0.

Tags
sinking-ship, vote-with-$$$, whining, who cares?