Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by jacktanner View Post
Does the community have any say in how the budget is spent on maintenance / development?
We'll have to wait the dust to settle a bit to know how much time the actual day-to-day maintenance will take under this setup. But whatever development happens on top of that, the current proposal is to let the council set the priorities.

There have also been questions about letting the community to be involved in development work. Actually, this has always been possible, as every part of maemo.org has been developed as open source, using normal project hosting services (Midgard repos for components, Garage for templates, config, etc). But hopefully the new setup will make that more visible and accessible to interested community members.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
As for Nemein - if they hit get by a bus, maemo.org is in a lot bigger trouble than the paperwork, as the Nemein staff is at this point the only one thoroughly familiar with all aspects of the infrastructure (esp now that Nokia has left the building).
We should be reasonably safe on that aspect as our maemo.org team is split across a few different cities and countries. So at least it'll require quite a bit of effort and coordination from multiple different bus companies. And still then we may get warned ahead by my buscatcher app

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post

...(hopes and dreams, blah, blah, blah.)...

I share lma's concerns (thank you for the excellent digest of the facts) about what happens when the funding dies up. I also experience some anxiety that Nokia has a habit of springing stuff on us with little warning: my instinct is that we should be both preparing for the funding to end, and campaigning for it to continue more or less immediately.

Edit: Thanks to Bergie for the reassurance that Nemein still have plans and commitment for development as well as maintenance here.

I share those concerns and posted such in another thread...

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

... (SNIP, not relevant here)...

My understanding of what traits would be necessary of a candidate for the next council term are:

-Productive and results oriented.

-Begin to understand what role Nokia has in this community now.

-Continue developing plans to transfer that involvement to maemo.org proper or day -1

-Identify what services will be needed by members of a maemo.org minus Nokia.

-Understand those needs and the resources required to provide them and be prepared to make hard decisions pairing or cutting services that are provided now.

...(hopes and dreams, blah, blah, blah.)...
I applaud SD69's desire to hit the ground running on this.

In keeping with the topic of this thread I believe you and all the current candidates have the ability to be results orientated and productive when given all the facts.
In reality though, facts seldom come to us and to be productive one must actively seek them out.

SD's thread and your response indicates to me that you both possess the sense of urgency required to collect these facts and I know I will vote accordingly.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
As said, in the short term very little changes. More conversations (almost certainly on maemo-community, which is where all the stakeholders are) will be continuing next week.

This is primarily a chance to come up with new prioritisation & planning processes, so that clear responsibilities can be assigned and tasks completed in a timely and efficient manner.

For all the hand wringing about if(/when) Nokia pull the plug, or Nemein go bankrupt/don't want the work/get hit by a bus, the community will have to step up, or the infrastructure will die. It's a simple choice.

One could imagine Reggie could continue talk.maemo.org as an advertising funded site (although whether the adverts would cover the costs of hosting the forum now is an interesting question), as it used to be as ITT.

However, the rest of the infrastructure (you want software? pfft) has seen little interest from members of the community willing to step up and provide code. So we'd be looking at raising cash. And probably quite a bit.

Anyway, that's not going to happen anytime soon, and Nokia have given as much of a commitment as they can as to the future of maemo.org.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Well, since all the stakeholders are on maemo-community, I hope you have fun with it!

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Well, since all the stakeholders are on maemo-community, I hope you have fun with it!
<sigh />.

If you haven't the time to be involved there, that's why you elect a Council. Nokia - who pay the bills are there; Nemein - who is paid to maintain the site, are there; the paid staff (Dave, Andre & Niels) are there.

What do you want to happen? Everyone to decamp here, despite most of the people who'd actually participate finding that pushed email works slightly better for archived, searchable, threaded, workable discussions?

A forum<->email bridge is coming, see the recent meeting minutes for the latest update from Reggie on that. (And it looks like there'll be a fun opportunity for lots of people to contribute in its development!)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post

The full meeting log is here (also linked in the maemo-communtiy message), discussion on this topic starts at 16:23.
At 15:30, it seems that the handover was already discussed between Nokia and Nemein, before Nokia approached Council. So the handover is a done deal I guess, or is there to be feedback from community to Nokia?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
At 15:30, it seems that the handover was already discussed between Nokia and Nemein, before Nokia approached Council. So the handover is a done deal I guess, or is there to be feedback from community to Nokia?
It would be very weird if they hadn't discussed about it before making decisions or even proposals about it.

ps. We have elected body to represent the community to Nokia...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
So the handover is a done deal I guess, or is there to be feedback from community to Nokia?
You don't want the community to be in complete control of the resources allocated to maemo.org? Surely it's a no-brainer, and the discussions on the result of that will be continuing, in public, next week.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
<sigh />.

If you haven't the time to be involved there, that's why you elect a Council. Nokia - who pay the bills are there; Nemein - who is paid to maintain the site, are there; the paid staff (Dave, Andre & Niels) are there.

What do you want to happen? Everyone to decamp here, despite most of the people who'd actually participate finding that pushed email works slightly better for archived, searchable, threaded, workable discussions?

A forum<->email bridge is coming, see the recent meeting minutes for the latest update from Reggie on that. (And it looks like there'll be a fun opportunity for lots of people to contribute in its development!)
No, I wish you well, as I said. It seems clear to me that the people on this site have never been running things, and now, Nemein, which it is clear most people here have never heard of, and didn't realize it wasn't a person but a group, is a lot closer to running things than we are.

So, you've been doing a pretty good job, I think; I just think it's funny when you seem to claim this site is something pretending to be a democracy when it's clear that the key decisions are not made by people here and never have been.

So, carry on. You have my blessing.