Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
Researches has shown that the best way to fend off rapists and draw people's attention to help you - is actually scream "fire!"
Just FYI
sad but true, it doesn't actually fend off the rapist, but people have found that passers bye hearing "rape" will be scared to intervene, but if you shout fire there isn't that fear and assistance is more likely.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Does nobody else feel that this request is a joke?
A police officer would shoot you when reaching into your pocket for a mobile phone, assuming its a gun. What do you think is going to happen when you start operating a flashing beeping device on your neck?

The Following User Says Thank You to jackdoor For This Useful Post:
Ok for a start, can I suggest 1 minor issue with this App... Would you not need permission from all parties involved before recording any conversation?

If any party declines this but can still give a sufficient reason to search you, then the "recorded evidence" that you may have will not vouch for squat!

IMHO, if you hang around dodgey places whilst dressed like a douche, then you will start to draw unwanted attention to yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jackdoor View Post
Does nobody else feel that this request is a joke?
A police officer would shoot you when reaching into your pocket for a mobile phone, assuming its a gun. What do you think is going to happen when you start operating a flashing beeping device on your neck?
well yeah the keychain does seem too much to me, but a desktop launcher button (i've thought of using recaller for much the same purpose before, but its easily deleted, smashed removed) is easy to press as you get pulled over in the car - front camera record would be useful if you have a gps cradle. or if you already have the headset on walking down the road when they flash the lights, even if it just uploads a video feed of the inside of your pocket along with the audio, its still useful. the police dont have guns here, but i'm pretty sure they dont just shoot on sight, if they have already pulled a gun and shouted get on the floor then yeah, forget about the phone and do what you're told.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Why don't you call it "telemarketers with guns".

That is what the police in nyc are. They have zero interest in real crime and go around busting people just to keep Bloomberg's fake statistics up. They would just be annoying if you could hang up on them but since you can't and they have guns they are dangerous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfwTg0JvNNk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqHxv...eature=related
http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-05-...81st-precinct/
http://gothamist.com/2010/11/17/nypd...ue_chess_p.php

Not that anyone cares.

The Following User Says Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Ok for a start, can I suggest 1 minor issue with this App... Would you not need permission from all parties involved before recording any conversation?

If any party declines this but can still give a sufficient reason to search you, then the "recorded evidence" that you may have will not vouch for squat!

IMHO, if you hang around dodgey places whilst dressed like a douche, then you will start to draw unwanted attention to yourself.
that would depend upon where you live i suppose, but from what i can tell if the opposite applies with the cop camera shows - in public you're fair game whether you want to be filmed or not, and in your car its your property, just displaying a cctv style sticker somewhere would be more than adequate (theres a taxi driver round here with a in car cctv)

and as for your last comment, unfortunately this does seem to be the way things are, and it saddens me that people such as yourself not only accept but condone it. i'm a great believer in personal freedom and liberty, and a law abiding citizen should have the right to dress as he pleases and go where he chooses, without expecting to be harassed by figures of authority for exercising these rights.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
A police officer would shoot you when reaching into your pocket for a mobile phone, assuming its a gun
99% of the time, this isn't true. Officers are trained that they can only open fire if their, or someone else's, life is threatened. If they opened fire on every body who ever reached for anything, we'd all be dead.

They may bend the rules to bust you for an unnecessary traffic ticket, or be a dick for no reason, but no cop is gonna wildly shoot someone who's reaching for a 4 inch rectangle in their pocket.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
What a load of old shat. Thats the most ridiculous idea for an App that I've ever heard.

And why so much paranoia about the Police?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Speaking of police harrassment in the San Fernando Valley area, as the OP was -- I didn't run into it in about 30 years there.

I did run into harrassment from criminals, though. There were drive-by shootings nearby on Kester Ave in Van Nuys, and a house I lived in in North Hollywood was burned down by a juvenile gang.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Speaking of police harrassment in the San Fernando Valley area, as the OP was -- I didn't run into it in about 30 years there.

I did run into harrassment from criminals, though. There were drive-by shootings nearby on Kester Ave in Van Nuys, and a house I lived in in North Hollywood was burned down by a juvenile gang.
Innit. I'd rather be picked on by the Police than gun wielding baddies who will shoot you dead for your watch.....or something.

Tags
saturn in, uranus