Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Abuse doesn't get much more personal and private than the Domestic variety.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
What I mean is, don't take this too seriously...
I always take freedom of speech issues seriously. Especially on the Internet, which appears to be the last place where I can still enjoy that freedom (you should look up some of the laws that were passed in Belgium in the last ten years).

Abuse is abuse... whether it's read by one person or 100. I'm not really sure I get the point you're making here.
That's just it: (verbal) abuse is only abuse if there's an audience.

He could have done that, but I don't have an issue with him outing an internet coward.
See, now that's abuse.

Do you, as a matter of course, verbally abuse people you barely know in one-to-one conversations and then give the impression of being a nice guy in public? I'm sure you don't, and that's because we all follow social norms that tell us such behaviour is not appreciated or tollerated in most circumstances - it's called being two faced, and carrying on in this way on the internet makes it even more repugnant as a swift punch on your nose is not an option!
Words are never as repugnant as a swift punch on the nose, with the one exception where the public utterance of lies about a person might cause damage. For that single instance the law has provided.

Besides, I know many people who behave and talk different whether in private or public, even to the extent of your example. They're called "politicians". And if you look around, you will be surprised that almost anyone behaves differently depending on the audience, which is why I don't agree with your "social code" at all.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I'm outta this thread. I have my own version of Godwin's Law: Whenever people start waving dictionaries around, I'm gone.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
That's just it: (verbal) abuse is only abuse if there's an audience.
Again, that is patently untrue, sorry. Refer back to the definition I provided.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I'm outta this thread. I have my own version of Godwin's Law: Whenever people start waving dictionaries around, I'm gone.
Right... it's so much better to make up defintions to suit our own agendas, eh?

I'll stick with the established definitions. Best way to minimize axle-wrapping in my experience.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-07-05 at 17:51.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Karel - you know, sometimes it's OK to agree to disagree.

There's really no need to abandon a thread simply because you don't agree with the opinions of some of your fellow posters, or threaten to quit an entire forum because you don't agree with some of the rules or policies being discussed, but hey... it's only a forum, and we're discussing a relatively minor social transgression.

Oh, and by the way: Nazis.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
The secrecy of correspondence (German: Briefgeheimnis, Swedish: brevhemlighet, Finnish: kirjesalaisuus), or literally translated as secrecy of letters, is a fundamental legal principle enshrined in the constitutions of several European countries. It guarantees that the content of sealed letters is never revealed and letters in transit are not opened by government officials or any other third party. It is thus the main legal basis for the assumption of privacy of correspondence.
I concur Doctor Jansens,

Abuse = injury. Words can injure a relationship... Parent child, friends, lovers, etc.
However, anonymous words in private can hardly cause injury. There is no relationship other than a virtual one.
My advice then... Sue the screen name in virtual court if you feel abused. You could be awarded up to 3 times the virtual damages.

Publishing a purported private conversation for me as an observing third party is about as effective as me saying I just received a PM from Dick Cheney claiming he shot the Kennedy's.

I put anyone who publishes a private conversation, particularly one side of one that can be easily edited, in my personal ignore file. It tells me that they do not abide by the previously mentioned "secrecy of letters" principle and as such can not be trusted... That is just my take based on my life's experiences. Your actual mileage may vary.

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-07-06 at 00:48.