Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
This does not sound right to me because if as you say Nokia IS contributing? then surely it would release everything that is closed to the MeeGo team to make sure the development for the N900 will be complete without any hinderances from closed anything that Nokia are obviously holding on to.

If there are legal reasons Nokia do not let everything be open then surely it should be pointed out the area's that are difficult that end up in a nofix situation consquently for the MeeGo release.

My point right from the beggining was not a doubt on the MeeGo development team and everyone involved in its progress but the so called input from Nokia for MeeGo.
You're starting to not make any sense again. I think you're confusing Maemo with MeeGo.

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Code:
$sudo /sbin/modprobe wait&see
FATAL: module wait&see not compatible with the FOSS movement.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
You're starting to not make any sense again. I think you're confusing Maemo with MeeGo.
We want MeeGo for the N900 yes? and to write a complete OS then obviously all drivers need to be open source, is that the case now?.

You do realise that if for instance 2 million N900's have been sold then just about every single unit will be upgraded to a successful MeeGo OS?.

I am not being cynical in any way of the MeeGo development but i doubt Nokia if it has anything whatsoever to do with the future of MeeGo as i feel some control will be on the cards from Nokia.

I doubt even 25% of N900 users will upgrade to MeeGo, most will have left the N900 behind months ago. 2 million devices? Hah, I don't think so. The number is probably below 500k. Admittedly we have closed drivers, but they're open to some people, people that do not work for Nokia and are as committed to MeeGo on the N900 as anyone. The drivers do not need to be open, it'd be nice if everything was but the majority of even desktop and laptop machines use closed proprietary blobs. The most important thing is that these blobs are compiled against the latest kernel tree and the latest glibc etc.

I think you have to understand that MeeGo has little to do with Nokia and more to do with community. Obviously Nokia have helped us all a great deal, but it is more about what you and I do with the platform that matters.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
I say "upgrade", maybe "transition" is the best word, as MeeGo will not offer everything Maemo has, we wont have Adobe Flash for instance and there is still a lot of work to be done in the UX to make it as complete and integrated as Maemo is now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
I doubt even 25% of N900 users will upgrade to MeeGo, most will have left the N900 behind months ago. 2 million devices? Hah, I don't think so. The number is probably below 500k. Admittedly we have closed drivers, but they're open to some people, people that do not work for Nokia and are as committed to MeeGo on the N900 as anyone. The drivers do not need to be open, it'd be nice if everything was but the majority of even desktop and laptop machines use closed proprietary blobs. The most important thing is that these blobs are compiled against the latest kernel tree and the latest glibc etc.

I think you have to understand that MeeGo has little to do with Nokia and more to do with community. Obviously Nokia have helped us all a great deal, but it is more about what you and I do with the platform that matters.
Good explanation many thanks for that at least it makes people more aware of what is going on on the MeeGo development.

As for your 25% i hope MeeGo is that good that everyone will go for it and so they should after all the hard work put into it.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-04-26 at 09:42.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Good explanation many thanks for that at least it makes people more aware of what is going on on the MeeGo development.

As for your 25% i hope MeeGo is that good that everyone will go for it and so they should after all the hard work put into it.
Well, wrt to Adobe Flash, at the very least we can do what Apple do with their iSeries devices and just have some cool apps that can download and play the .flv files through mplayer or something. Apps like CuteTube would probably be really awesome on the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
if you want a phone with frequent OS updates, sell your N900 and buy another phone - the N900 is at its most polished state NOW and it will be a LONG time (if it even gets there) before other OS alternatives on the N900 get close to it

if you are not a technie who wants to write code for the N900 and drive development for a hobby platform, dont waste your time - move on and get another phone.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Or he's having Mer flashbacks. That wasn't Maemo either, you know. I'll believe it when I see it. That's what I learned from my Maemo experiences.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Or he's having Mer flashbacks. That wasn't Maemo either, you know. I'll believe it when I see it. That's what I learned from my Maemo experiences.
Precisely what i was thinking !.

Tags
douching, kill me now, n900 douche, what a douche