Active Topics

Notices

looks tasty NAMNAMNAM

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
What a load of old bollocks with the Terms and Conditions of iPlayer. It actually would make more sense using iPlayer abroad rather then in the UK since most people can record whatever they want with their set top boxes. Yet brittish holiday makers cannot watch BBC while abroad. Again our TV Licence money well spent...

Disclaimer: I don't really watch telly, just don't like to see my taxes wasted.

The Following User Says Thank You to fasza2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Problem with watching abroad is, if everyone abroad were watching the programmes over the net, the Beeb wouldn't be able to sell them for lots of dosh to foreign networks... it's all about revenue protection...

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
Problem with watching abroad is, if everyone abroad were watching the programmes over the net, the Beeb wouldn't be able to sell them for lots of dosh to foreign networks... it's all about revenue protection...
That makes sense, though I still don't agree with it. A national television channel shouldn't generate profit, though I understand that staff have to be payed and they are on serious money. Thanks for the info anyway.

@OP Good luck with the app. Cutetube is one of the best youtube client out there, no doubt Bebece is gonna be great too.

Last edited by fasza2; 2011-05-28 at 00:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to fasza2 For This Useful Post:
Problem is not only preventing BBC original content being distributed abroad without charge - it's also down to (a) terms of UK TV licence and (b) lots of BBC content is not produced locally, it's bought in by BBC, who buy the licence to broadcast it in UK only. it amounts to the same thing from the consumer's perspective, but (b) is much more understandable as a genuine reason to block access from outwih UK. Just as well we have proxies/VPN on our side :-)

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

This is fantastic. Thank you for attending to iplayer.

Will this act as, or similar to, an interface for get_iplayer, which provides simiar fumctionality to desktop iplayer for those who cannot install adobe air. The downside is it's terminal-only software and I can't get it working but that's beside the point: get_iplayer doesn't break any rules so why would providing a UI for get_iplayer (or its functionality) be a problem?

cuteBeBeCe is not commecrial software, anyone* could have made it. Furthermore, the underlying service is still provided by the BBC because the streams (and formats) are unadulterated, thus such a wrapper would assist [the corporation] in being able to provide access to all licence payers, not just those using proprietary operating & media systems for which adobe-air exist**.
In short, we have flash-player so nothing need to be done to the content to make it viewable. However, there is no desktop iplayer for our platform, so this is a work-around. Does this still break/bend the rules?

@marxian, is it worth trying to get this to be the official offline player for Maemo 5? (Does M4 support Qt? If so, that too) I suspect that flagging this up with the powers that be, might in fact be a barrier rather than an aid, so quite understand if you don't comment on this ;-).

@fasza2 - good point but unlike other channels the BBC don't offer a +1 service (at the moment) so if you're at work when the thing you want to listen-to/watch is on, then iplayer's the way to get it. As for getting it when away (to pass the time on a rainy beach holiday, for instance) - yes it's very annoying but I wonder if you can pipe your online access through your home ISP? I don't know how to.
As far as non-uk users are concerned, the licence fee (approx 200USD per individual UK dwelling with a TV, per year) pays for the all BBC services, apart from a little bit of FCWO money for the WS, so it's really a matter of serving the people who pay for it, albeit in a slightly heavy-handed/simplistic manner. To get the radio free, where-ever you are, is a bargain because it's some the best bits. These points are aside from matters concerning any content-licensing.
One thing on this - if you live in the UK or are in the UK, you can (from how I understand the rules) download content to a compatible device and play it back when abroad until the programme expires. I think the desktop iplayer can detect the ISP so one is recommended to stay offline to prevent it from stopping playback b/c non-uk isp.

> Slightly off topic but is it possible to TV-Out a larger resolution than the screen? If so, please point me to where I can find info.

> Really looking forward to being able to queue up a stories, rather than faff around going to the page etc. Gotta love R4 & R4E (oops, did I just give away my age?).

> In theory, is this practice extensible to other streams, such as 4OD etc.? If not, might it be possible to 'record' such streams, for viewing within the permitted 28 days of broadcast, of course.

Apologies for wittering on again! Hope everyone's bank holiday isn't a complete washout.

*anyone - not in the literal sense but meaning any iplayer user with the coding know-how, desire and the philanthropic values to share with 'friends'.

**I wonder if, flash 10 armv7 were available, we could have run the offline desktop iplayer in EasyDebian? Guess we'll never know!

Last edited by demolition; 2011-05-30 at 18:10.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Reading, Berkshire, UK
Might be an idea to discuss with the Beeb - and explain to them that the N900 hasn't got the horsepower to run the whole iPlayer app.. but DOES have the horsepower if this cutetube plugin is permitted...

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I think the chances of the BBC authorising a third-party iPlayer application such as this are zero. There is nothing in it for them. I would not even wish to co-operate with the BBC, or infact any other hopelessly bureaucratic organisation where the suits would insist on intervening every 2 fecking minutes.

Presenting a logical argument to these type of characters is futile.

The plan is to initially provide playback/download of pre-recorded shows, and take it from there. PVR features will be added later. I have no intention of going within a million miles of any Flash crap.

The application is called BeBeCe and I do not have any plans to extend it beyond BBC content.

My website

GitHub

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Reading, Berkshire, UK
The problem is - you'll have users screaming at you - might it not be an idea to at least *offer* to work with them?

I'm speaking as a potential user of this app, of course. And we might get them to see sense a bit...

Just a thought...

Oh - would you plan to look at adding BBC ID logic to grab fave lists?