Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
Cannot we find some GPL violations and just make Nokia open the codebase?
Nokia have been pretty good with respect to GPL compliance. I think the worst they've done was releasing the source slightly later than the binaries in a couple of cases.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Nokia have been pretty good with respect to GPL compliance. I think the worst they've done was releasing the source slightly later than the binaries in a couple of cases.
He might be making reference to linking closed-source to the Linux GPL components... which is, technically, illegal but Torvalds has already pointed out that he has no intention to enforce that. Personally, I'm on Torvald's side of that argument with regard to the Linux kernel--but Nokia HAS abused it in a way that makes them particularly hostile to customers and to the community that wants to fix problems and extend the capabilities of the kernel (much like Tivo, who ended up being the company that ended up making 'Tivoization' a coined term for such open-core abuses such a well-illustrated problem now).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by guylhem View Post
I have not found previous messages about that, so I wonder - has there ever been an attempt to raise funds and buy maemo from Nokia?
I don't intend what I'm about to say to be vindictive or mean, but only as a serious assumption based on what you are saying: you've never worked for a corporation, have you?

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-09-29 at 04:51. Reason: Fixing quote

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
If you got a few million to spare then go see Elop, i am sure the greedy sod will sell Maemo because he wants rid of it anyhow

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
He might be making reference to linking closed-source to the Linux GPL components...
You mean non-free kernel modules? IIRC the N900 didn't have any, and the main point of contention on N8x0 (WLAN) has had alternative free drivers for a long time. Otherwise, all the problems we have are with Nokia closed userland (icd, bme, mce and such) which are annoying as hell but not GPL violations.

but Nokia HAS abused it in a way that makes them particularly hostile to customers and to the community that wants to fix problems and extend the capabilities of the kernel (much like Tivo, who ended up being the company that ended up making 'Tivoization' a coined term for such open-core abuses such a well-illustrated problem now).
That's aegis, which I agree needs to be taken out and shot with extreme prejudice, but it doesn't really apply to maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Romania
I would propose to make a petition to Elop and Nokia to freely release Maemo5 to this comunity and only this community as its members could make a difference and seriously come up with upgrades and improvements to this OS. This way the corporatist laws and infrigement would not be subject to any law available in EU and other countries. However, I myself think this is wishfull thinking, but for the future of Nokia the development all these should start as of grass-roots (from users to users point of view). Also I know this community is highly monitored by the Nokia Corp., so Elop&others....please hear the voice of the community!

still think the easiest option would be to pull Meego apart to see how closed source components were implemented, then start from scratch. sounds like a lot but would simplify the task of having to work round on going issues with out of date/closed source apps. would also free project from nokia and make it available for other devices.

build an up to date base/core from scratch or use debian arm/embedded. advantage of second is core is updated for you by someone else.
build up to date kernel for updated drivers. lots of rx-51 commits made it into mainline iirc. or just rebuild meego kernel.
replace non gui closed source apps. replace telephony stack with ofono.

then test operation from cli. one done, start on gui.

rebuild hildon source and dependancies.
replace closed source apps with those from cssu.

I'm not sure they care.
Then why would they create threads like this.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gorgezilla View Post
I would propose to make a petition to Elop and Nokia to freely release Maemo5 to this comunity and only this community as its members could make a difference and seriously come up with upgrades and improvements to this OS. This way the corporatist laws and infrigement would not be subject to any law available in EU and other countries. However, I myself think this is wishfull thinking, but for the future of Nokia the development all these should start as of grass-roots (from users to users point of view). Also I know this community is highly monitored by the Nokia Corp., so Elop&others....please hear the voice of the community!
Been done before, as I recall, back when the move to go to MeeGo was announced. It went nowhere. It's just deja vu all over again!

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
still think the easiest option would be to pull Meego apart to see how closed source components were implemented, then start from scratch. sounds like a lot but would simplify the task of having to work round on going issues with out of date/closed source apps. would also free project from nokia and make it available for other devices.

build an up to date base/core from scratch or use debian arm/embedded. advantage of second is core is updated for you by someone else.
build up to date kernel for updated drivers. lots of rx-51 commits made it into mainline iirc. or just rebuild meego kernel.
replace non gui closed source apps. replace telephony stack with ofono.

then test operation from cli. one done, start on gui.

rebuild hildon source and dependancies.
replace closed source apps with those from cssu.
Again... deja vu... doesn't anybody remember the attempt to do JUST THAT with Mer?

Doesn't anybody here remember this stuff?

Originally Posted by volt View Post
Then why would they create threads like this.
"They" didn't create this thread. The "they" I was speaking of are the Tizen people.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

"They" didn't create this thread. The "they" I was speaking of are the Tizen people.
You're talking about different they's than me. I commented on the origins of this thread where community members throws a few dollars on the table and expects to be able to buy all of Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, winding down