Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Could you take high-res macro photos (at a level where individual subpixels are easily distinguishable)? From that it should be easy to determine whether what you see is due to the pentile matrix or not.
i'll try. don't think my cam will be able to do this.

otoh, what would such a high res image show? you might see that some areas are darker than others. we know that already. what we don't know is why the brightness (or even color) in this area are influenced by pixels that are somewhere else on the screen.

it's a bit like shadows and distortions you had with analog tv or vhs video tapes.

Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Here's a oh, so wonderfull paint illustration...
http://bayimg.com/FaKLLaadj
It's really hard to get proper photos of it, because it's not that bad, and when trying to get photos you actually need to make them bit blurry or the lines disappear into the moire noise.
looks a lot like mine. did you see my video? does it look the same?

The purple line is more irritating than the black spots :/ The black spots are only visible on a gray background in dark surroundings.

The purple line can be seen in Benny1967's video and on these pics:

Someone need to contact Nokia and hear their stance on this issue (if its just how the product is/software bug?/an issue they will fix etc.).

From the images it's clear this problem is not related to pixel "density" on pentile matrix, because these purple lines are several hundredth pixels long, far away from the black characters. Don't know technical details of AMOLED displays, but it looks like black pixel quickly turned into white one doesn't get proper color.

Try to update software or flash basic empty firmware and do update after... I thinks gonna be software prob... have few bugs we testing it on n950

I have seen the same purple stripes appearing on my SGS2 during scrolling except they are a lot thinner. (Refunded the phone due to serious side burn, yellow tinted and super low brightness issues).

Curious if these is a weakness of AMOLED screen or what...
I do notice on lowest brightness the screen looks yellowish?

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
My new N9 has these purple lines appearing on light backgrounds too. In this video I took, you can just barely see the lines, but they are much worse to the naked eye.

http://zerion7.pp.fi/n9/lines.mp4

I have a bad feeling this is a "feature" of the display technology used.

Last edited by ZerionSeven; 2011-10-23 at 15:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZerionSeven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZerionSeven View Post
... a bad feeling this is a "feature" of the display technology used.
this is what I want to find out. I don't think so, though. A friend of mine got his n9 recently, and when I asked him he said he doesn't see any such lines. Also they're never mentioned in any reviews.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
Well, I'm taking mine back to the store to ask about this tomorrow. They'll probably just want to send it somewhere and that'll take weeks before I'll hear anything...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
It's just pentile imo, dunno why people are so surprised, not owned ph's w/pentile screens before?
There's been no shortage of them on the market, past & present, many which are great ph's.
I'll see if I can get jakiman to confirm the same "issue" on his phone....