Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
lack of OS support=less developer=lack of app

D.O.A and has no chance to fight, :/

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Nice thread to read and some good posts here with some brain cells being used for once i might add !.

Shame the N9 is so abysmal but i still say nothing can touch the N900 for many reasons so i guess the debate will be never ending.

Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Do not forget that you can always use NITDroid for the N9

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Sadly i have moved on as i had no choice but to accept a samsung and realized what i had been missing for so long so i wont be getting another Nokia until a replacement for the N900 is if ever will be available.

Like the design of the N9 but give it back after 2 days and wont be getting another.

PS still got one of my 900s though and will keep it always.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
I'm talking about app support, not OS support.

I'm not sure if Bada 2.0 and Belle have real multitasking or not but switching between apps is definitely ahead for MeeGo. Bada 1.2 did not have real multitasking, only the fake suspended type. Copy and paste is another matter, not directly a multitasking issue. It can also be implemented between suspended apps.
App support is directly related to the number of phones out there. That is the problem, the N9 didn't sell. Initially there where lots of apps for the N9, new ones coming every hour. Now it is dead, no updates, no new apps. The number of downloads is too small, there are too few phones, making apps for the N9 is not worth it. WP don't sell even though MS injects billions in "app support".

Multitasking. What is "real" multitasking anyway? How do you differentiate between a living e-mail app and a suspended, a living sms app and a suspended? I don't honestly know the finer differences between Harmattan, Belle and Bada 2.0 when it comes to the inner workings of multitasking. They are all very different OS'es, very different cores, but all are multitasking OS'es. But I know from a user perspective;

WP - no control. You can't close apps in any practical manner, and it is random what apps are closed automatically.
Belle - Full control, just like Harmattan
Bada 2.0 - Full control, just like Harmattan.
ICS - Almost full control, but some randomness happening.

Swipe is by far the most elegant and intuitive solution.

Last edited by specc; 2012-06-03 at 14:32.

Originally Posted by specc View Post

Multitasking. What is "real" multitasking anyway? How do you differentiate between a living e-mail app and a suspended, a living sms app and a suspended? I don't honestly know the finer differences between Harmattan, Belle and Bada 2.0 when it comes to the inner workings of multitasking. They are all very different OS'es, very different cores, but all are multitasking OS'es. But I know from a user perspective;
Real multitasking means apps continue to run even when pushed to the background. Webpages continue to load, data continue to download and GPS apps continue to run.This excepts apps like games and video playback which by their nature are not designed to run in the background. However suspended apps will resume when selected, not restart. There is at least one video player for N9 which can continue to play video while in the background (good for musical videos).

For fake multitasking all apps are suspended in the background. They are nothing more than a list of last used apps with a snapshot of the screen. In some cases apps will restart when selected from the background unless they have been specially written for (fake) multitasking.

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
droid...same as all other droids..except NIT one resides on nokia...
i was reading adroid SDK and gues what, i was searching how to crate service - daemon to run in background and do some things, so, i found something and, guess what was it about...(yes, you already know...damn "app in background") <- is that "multitasking model"? or?
right?
anyhow, it's not about what n9 don't have, it's more about what has been blocked on n9...i think

//edit:
folks, i am symbian user since 2006. and it is real multitasking os, and apps really runs in background and foreground and it is not just belle, but take s60v2 it will do same (with 16mb of ram...)
every symbian device have "menu" button, that button is used for switching to "launcher" or if held longer for invoking task switcher, so, in case you have some older symbian device...check it out and compare to ICS

Last edited by wook_sf; 2012-06-03 at 16:23. Reason: symbian explaination

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
I don't judge my children for their differing qualities...

The Following User Says Thank You to LavaCroft For This Useful Post:
i dont see why people complain about "true multitasking". why does it matter? the only thing id want to stay open is music. i think wp7 has some of the best multitasking, it just pauses the apps. its a great way to keep battery life, look at android lol the battery life is so bad because of its "true multitasking".

on topic. i came from the htc amaze and tons of other android devices and i cant be more happy with this phone. android is so un-stable its not even funny. even with ICS. constant FCs, etc
android integrated task manager is horrid as well, even if you close stuff it stays open in the background. i think harmattan has the best multitasking ive used.

Last edited by stratax; 2012-06-03 at 16:31.

Originally Posted by stratax View Post
i dont see why people complain about "true multitasking". why does it matter? the only thing id want to stay open is music. i think wp7 has some of the best multitasking, it just pauses the apps. its a great way to keep battery life, look at android lol the battery life is so bad because of its "true multitasking".

Did you just come down in the last rain? This is not XDA developers board, you cannot get away with making such outrageous claims.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:

Tags
disappointment, lack of apps, specc=ericsson, tizen is savior