Active Topics

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
Sulu, thank you, but you do not helping. If you are happy the way it is, i am happy for you.
You could not possibly have understood what he said, if you think he is happy with the way things are.

Originally Posted by Makeclick
But i am not happy, so i complain.
And when the day is over, do the multi-billion dollar/euro/yen/whatever corporations have any less power to screw you over the way ovi store screws everyone over with the download limit, because you complained? No. Complaining is onky useful for 1: spreading the truth about a problem people are unaware of, and 2: telling a huge company or political power that the world is not okay with their policies.

But your complaining is insufficiently informed to fulfill criteria 1 fully (sulu's statements, on the other hand, ARE actually spreading accurate information about the problem, and ARE a form of disagreement/complaining), and it's directed to the wrong people to even begin to qualify for criteria 2.

On the other hand, it's better than nothing, so by all means keep complaining, it does raise awareness and brings people's dissatisfaction with the system to the surface. But don't get the misguided notion that just because someone is correcting you on your misconceptions, they aren't actually also dissatisfied with the same problem. Because in this case, you obviously missed the fact that even though sulu is correcting you, he not only understands the problem more (at least, the U.S.A. version of the problem, although copyright basics are almost the same everywhere), but he is actually being more useful towards eradicating that problem than you (not by much, but more nonetheless).

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
  1. create folder like /home/user/MyDocs/Temp
  2. open terminal, get root
  3. type this, DO NOT PRESS ENTER! cp -a /var/cache/apt /home/user/MyDocs/Temp
  4. go to store, download app/game
  5. (wait until progress bar for downloading is complete)
  6. go to terminal, hit enter
You know, someone should really make a script and throw it in the repos with some basic GUI, that automates this.

You could run it before any ovi-store installs, and it would do, in pseudocode:
while ('ls /var/cache/apt' returns no text)
{
wait 1 second
}
cp -a /var/ca.....

Hell, wrap it up in some better code, and it could execute that inside another loop, and print out output to console every time it copies a file over.

And the best thing is, at least in U.S. law (and I would hope most laws elsewhere), that's 100% legal, because you're allowed your 1 archival copy.

Then just slap it in the repos.

...why has no one done this yet?

Just don't buy anything and get something else than Nokia the next time. The company many of us came to love is dead - soon also literally.

The Following User Says Thank You to shinogami For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Unfortunately, if we stay away from companies that are in some way evil, we don't have many choices left.

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
You could not possibly have understood what he said, if you think he is happy with the way things are.

And when the day is over, do the multi-billion dollar/euro/yen/whatever corporations have any less power to screw you over the way ovi store screws everyone over with the download limit, because you complained? No. Complaining is onky useful for 1: spreading the truth about a problem people are unaware of, and 2: telling a huge company or political power that the world is not okay with their policies.

But your complaining is insufficiently informed to fulfill criteria 1 fully (sulu's statements, on the other hand, ARE actually spreading accurate information about the problem, and ARE a form of disagreement/complaining), and it's directed to the wrong people to even begin to qualify for criteria 2.

On the other hand, it's better than nothing, so by all means keep complaining, it does raise awareness and brings people's dissatisfaction with the system to the surface. But don't get the misguided notion that just because someone is correcting you on your misconceptions, they aren't actually also dissatisfied with the same problem. Because in this case, you obviously missed the fact that even though sulu is correcting you, he not only understands the problem more (at least, the U.S.A. version of the problem, although copyright basics are almost the same everywhere), but he is actually being more useful towards eradicating that problem than you (not by much, but more nonetheless).

You know, someone should really make a script and throw it in the repos with some basic GUI, that automates this.

You could run it before any ovi-store installs, and it would do, in pseudocode:
while ('ls /var/cache/apt' returns no text)
{
wait 1 second
}
cp -a /var/ca.....

Hell, wrap it up in some better code, and it could execute that inside another loop, and print out output to console every time it copies a file over.

And the best thing is, at least in U.S. law (and I would hope most laws elsewhere), that's 100% legal, because you're allowed your 1 archival copy.

Then just slap it in the repos.

...why has no one done this yet?
I don't leave in usa and there is some rights that even those Nokia therms could not demolish in here.. We actually have good customers rights in here and i am very happy for that. Fist, if they don't say something about download limits.. they can't do that.

Sulu has good opinions, but sound like he try to say everything over my whole point.. Everything i said is something wrong and i have been full of rage whole day . I can write Finnish, but you do not going to understand it. Sorry Sulu. Maybe i not understand you.

But that cp -a -thing is scary (you can share them)... And if you install your apps from the .deb, you will not get any updates (in PR1.2 you didn't, even if you have been bought that app). So i don't understand why you think this is the good way to act? Devels is not get they money and i am not happy about that :/

SO, sorry for all i cause bad feeling. I meant nothing but good for all of us. I think it would be easier for all, if the Nokia do something to this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Makeclick For This Useful Post:
I think it would be awesome to come up with our own store, one that works more like apps for meego (I think the interface on it is better than OVI anyhow). Not sure how hard that would be, but I am guessing Jolla is already working on something along those lines, possibly with Android compatibility.

slaapliedje

The Following User Says Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Little news IF someone follow this thread..

Nokia not answer to customer service . This should be a very rare, but no can do . This is so nokian style action these days... If i want to fight this i have to make stronger reclamation. Hope someone on the Jolla is reading this and make their store working a lot better!

Thank god we have people like Schturman!! Thank you for tweak!!