Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Remember, that by moving magnet into kickstand, you cut yourself out from using super-effective physical device separation for swap (i.e. using swap on microSD, to avoid I/O races with home activity).

It wouldn't be funny to, practically, pull your ram stick out of device, everytime you open kickstand (that's how device feels it, when you have swap on microSD, and microSD disappears, instantly).

/Estel
Estel, you are right! Althought i never used swap on sd card, heck i don't even have an sd card right now at all... i know is the best way to use sd card instead of using the built in memory (however the number of writes to a flash memory is very high - milions - but it is not infinite )
And yes i won't be able to watch a video from sd card with kickstand opened (but i never did this ). Solution for kickstand would be to make a canal for the magnet in the cover and slide the magnet inside it to mount-unmount, or is there any kind of material that can block a magnet?

The Following User Says Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
Solution for kickstand would be to make a canal for the magnet in the cover and slide the magnet inside it to mount-unmount, or is there any kind of material that can block a magnet?
Yes, there is - a superconductors, although I doubt you can make one in home:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconductivity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meissner_effect

...even less mount one in N900's cover

Magnet sliding in and out, horizontally, is a good idea, though. Magnetosensor in N900 is pretty limited in range, and require magnet to be placed very directly above it - sliding it even one distance/size ratio away, should suffice.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Yes, there is - a superconductors, although I doubt you can make one in home:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconductivity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meissner_effect

...even less mount one in N900's cover

Magnet sliding in and out, horizontally, is a good idea, though. Magnetosensor in N900 is pretty limited in range, and require magnet to be placed very directly above it - sliding it even one distance/size ratio away, should suffice.

/Estel
Ok, i will do the hot-swap sd card and sim mods as soon as i will have some free time...
Will get back with pictures after

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@ryu1
For SIM hotswapping please refer to my sources (which you might also use as shell script). Do not use 'killall csd' as this might cause problems with GPRS/UMTS reception. If you disable the PIN request for both SIM, then you might just go ahead.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
OP's first post.
You sir, are a god!

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-06-23 at 17:54.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Theox with his soldering iron on board
run buddies run . Run for your life !

Seriously, was quoting 3-pages long message, to write a 15 characters long (inc. interpun.) comment? Really?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Seriously, was quoting 3-pages long message, to write a 15 characters long (inc. interpun.) comment? Really?
I am really sorry. Edited the post .

Also my comment would be longer if this guy (op) didn't left me speechless with his project.

Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
I am really sorry. Edited the post .

Also my comment would be longer if this guy (op) didn't left me speechless with his project.
I did nothing special, only some wiring.

P.S. Ai reusit sa faci ceva cu cele 2 n900 ale tale?

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
I did nothing special, only some wiring.

P.S. Ai reusit sa faci ceva cu cele 2 n900 ale tale?
waching the thread for long but didnt commented as i dont have an n900 to judge your feat as you know its easy to do that but extremly hard at least for me to fit it like that . You did !
Anyway i coudnt get anything intresting on the pic would have been better if there were macros of the disaster for me
also can you tell me what other things can be modified? M too much intrested . Can you check the power lines from battery and get a point where the flash leds can be connected . I would like a hardware switch for the flash when the device is off or shutdown due to low batt many more let my n900 clear the customs?? Dont know got stuck in courier due to battery sender says??
congo on your achivement

Tags
dual-sim, nokia n900, solar charging, usb host