Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, I know. That was exactly my point. Stallman is a dictator, not a freedom activist like some people like portraying him.
A dictator that peddles "freedom"... I think I have the concept for my next book.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
You need to bear in mind to whom is the freedom as defined by GNU GPL really attributed to. @nthn actually put it quite nicely here;

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
But do read this, because those descriptions are short, and many people seem to interpret the 'you's as referring to the person reading the 'four freedoms' rather than the collective entity of humans, and so mistakenly believe they "don't need" free software and free software "isn't needed" because they don't know how or don't feel the need to take advantage of the freedom(s) it provides.
What it boils down to, is that your "personal freedom" is limited a bit in the name of common good here, so that the multitude of humankind will benefit. In the context of "Free software" it is not you that is free, it is the piece of SW that is free and you are not allowed to take away the freedom of the SW.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
A free piece of software. Great. In the name of what shall we give up our freedom next? Bricks?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
A free piece of software. Great. In the name of what shall we give up our freedom next? Bricks?
Hey, cheers to your bricksies!

I kind of think you are arguing on principle now.
Just for the sake of argument, do you believe people should not be restrained from excersizng some of their freedoms, when the said freedoms could be harmful to others? (I do think so)
There are always exceptions, as for example in organized warfare you are allowed to kill certain people even as it is usually forbidden.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Hey, cheers to your bricksies!
Thanks. Cheering up is definitely what I need now

I kind of think you are arguing on principle now.
Of course I am! I admit that I came from the viewpoint of a slight misconception and was reacting to that. My view on all that "free software" bulls**t was that it was about your freedom to do what you will with it. Use it, copy it, modify it, whatever. The software itself is a thing, what freedom can it have?

My choice of bricks as an example was not random: bricks are most commonly used as building blocks for something else. You buy a brick and you can use it for whatever you like (OK, there are restrictions, you cannot smash someone's head with one without facing consequences).

In contrast, Stallman's idea is that you cannot use a brick for building just anything. You can only use it if all the other bricks are made from the same earth and you also publish a complete blueprint of the building including all the wiring, plumbing and furniture, all of which has nothing to do with the brick. That is not freedom, that is dictatorship.

I do not see how the brick's personal freedom comes into this.

Good point, however I think in this case it is about the bricks and not the house; when you use "free bricks" you can make your own bricks better or different than the original but you have to share your improved brick receipe with other people.

The house you build with the bricks however, that is yours to use as you feel fit; you do not need to share the blueprints with anyone if you so decide. (though I of course would like you to!)

I do not see how the brick's personal freedom comes into this.
This is a sentence I thought I would never have read in my lifetime.

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Katowice, PL
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
A dictator that peddles "freedom"... I think I have the concept for my next book.
"Liberty had its nose and both hands chipped long ago, but the dictator insisted on having the statuette on his desk. She was very wieldy". I'm afraid I have read this book back in '80s

Originally Posted by briest View Post
"Liberty had its nose and both hands chipped long ago, but the dictator insisted on having the statuette on his desk. She was very wieldy". I'm afraid I have read this book back in '80s
Oh my. What book is this quote? Quick Google search is failing me...

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Katowice, PL
It's "Synteza" ("Synthesis") by Maciej Wojtyszko; for what I know it was never translated (the above is my attempt). Teen SF from '80s...