Active Topics

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Got it go into R&D mode, and it kept rebooting and this came up on my screen.

Kernel Version:
2.6.39-omap1
#1 PREEMPT Wed OCT 28 15:32 55 EET 2009

no initfs \o/

Component versions
product RX-51
hw-build 2101
nolo 1.4.13
boot-mode normal

I then held in the power button and it booted up, went to the home screen, I set the date and time. Powered the device off by hitting the power button, then selecting the tab that says power off. The device shutdown, but then immediately started the reboot process all over again. The only way it seems to completely power off is to remove the battery. When I place the battery back in, it just starts up immediately and goes thru that reboot cycle again.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
I then held in the power button and it booted up, went to the home screen, I set the date and time. Powered the device off by hitting the power button, then selecting the tab that says power off. The device shutdown, but then immediately started the reboot process all over again. The only way it seems to completely power off is to remove the battery. When I place the battery back in, it just starts up immediately and goes thru that reboot cycle again.
So you can't do anything on yours without R&D mode? Sounds like you have a different problem... At least you can use R&D to recover anything, if need be. Good luck.

Originally Posted by jebba View Post
So you can't do anything on yours without R&D mode? Sounds like you have a different problem... At least you can use R&D to recover anything, if need be. Good luck.
It did start up in R&D mode I had to hold the power button in for a while then it booted up. Once in R&D mode, I set the regional settings, and then the home screen was there and it looked fine. I powered it down, and then it started the reboot cycle. Took out the battery and restarted it and it went back to the home screen. Also in this mode I noticed that if I hit SYM/CTRL and the Down arrow the screen completely fades out and I have to remove the battery to reboot. Is this a known bug, I've been searching and can't find anything.

After this I also flashed the device and same results, I also tried to flash the eMMC but wasn't able to, as for some reason it is not recognizing the device on the USB the 2nd go around...

Maybe my issue might be related to the USB, the problems originally started with the phone appearing to charge in animations and LED display, but as soon as I removed the charger nothing.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Reston, VA
Originally Posted by jebba View Post
If you get a brick due to unexpected reboots, you can recover without reflashing, as described here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37420

To prevent bricking due to unexpected reboots, completely and cleanly shut down & power off your system occassionally. More info here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37431

-Jeff
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Jebba
i am running into this as well. this is totally rediculous after only having it 14 days, i can barely run a webpage to check my email for work (can't get exchange support) and it resets. i am beginning to seriously doubt buying this. i knew what i was getting into, but i was expecting a device to actually work, not reset at any moment

@5tapl3r
best thing to do is exchange. Had the same feeling. In the middle of a download it reboots, 1 min on the web reboots, on a cell phone call reboots, strangely i was able to let a 2hr movie play without any reboot, go figure. But i was real upset until i got a working replacement. Only problem is the wait to get another one. But worth it for a proper device.

Okay I really need some advice, mine has been playing up slightly but not sure if its classed as a reboot. If I ask the quest can somebody clarify.

Is the reboot issue when the entire fone switches off and re starts ?

Or is it when the screen goes dark for 2 seconds and then an app opens ?

cheers
Ordered 4th December 2009 - Heard didly squat to date-but then again im not expecting too-although advertising on your site order before 3 will be with you next day is false advertising (this is a long signature)phone arrived 10/12/09 at 12.55

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Originally Posted by mtagt56 View Post
Okay I really need some advice, mine has been playing up slightly but not sure if its classed as a reboot. If I ask the quest can somebody clarify.

Is the reboot issue when the entire fone switches off and re starts ?

Or is it when the screen goes dark for 2 seconds and then an app opens ?
When the fone switches off and re-starts.

FWIW, I've had mine 15 days now and only had one spontaneous reboot. I find the device fantastic.

-Jeff

This is so annoying, charged the battery overnight, as soon as I put the battery into the phone, R&D mode or Production mode it starts rebooting and has the yellow/orange light as if there is a charger plugged in. Flashed the phone, unable to flash the eMMC, Only way phone will get to the home screen is if I hold in the power button while it is rebooting in R&D mode. Once I power it down, in R&D mode it never shuts off fully, and starts rebooting again....wtf is going on with this thing.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Reston, VA
Originally Posted by Giostz View Post
@5tapl3r
best thing to do is exchange. Had the same feeling. In the middle of a download it reboots, 1 min on the web reboots, on a cell phone call reboots, strangely i was able to let a 2hr movie play without any reboot, go figure. But i was real upset until i got a working replacement. Only problem is the wait to get another one. But worth it for a proper device.
i really don't know at this point. i am completely jaded. i can get exchange to work on my 2g iphone, but not the n900. i am really considering dropping the n900 and either waiting to see what the nexus 1 brings to the table or switching to att. neither of which i want to do cause i love tmobile, but i am frustrated.

if i would not have purchased from newegg, i would have sent it back to nokia.

Here is another recovery method which doesn't require the flasher if you happen to brick your device because of too many spontaneous reboots:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6350#c42

* take battery out
* insert USB cable (to boot device with charging boot reason)
* insert battery & put back cover back
* remove USB cable

-Jeff

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post:

Tags
lack of quality control