Why can't the N9 Mail For Exchange view HTML formatted emails??

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following User Says Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
I noticed something strange with one of my N950 IMAP email accounts today; I have the account configured to be always up-to-date. When checking the IMAP server log files, it seems that the e-mail client has been logging in constantly every 5 seconds (filling up the server log files). Is this normal behaviour?

Hi,

Our Exchange 2010 SP2 organization does not enforce any password for the device via ActiveSync ("Require password" checkbox is cleared in Exchange policy settings).

However Nokia N9 with PR 1.1 software behaves differently. Upon ActiveSync configuration the phone requires user to set up the passcode and there is no way to workaround this. I'm attaching the logs I gathered from the device. I hope they would help investigate this issue.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on how to get rid of the password

Thank you,
Docent
Attached Files
File Type: zip ex_logs.zip (26.2 KB, 248 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Docent For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
Not too happy with functionality of this built-in email client. VERY limited on features. Can't share videos properly from m.youtube.com, my buddy sent me a few .pdf attachments that i couldn't see, no copy/paste functionality, very disappointing. Anyone know if there planning an email overhaul for PR 1.2 ?

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Docent View Post
Hi,

Our Exchange 2010 SP2 organization does not enforce any password for the device via ActiveSync ("Require password" checkbox is cleared in Exchange policy settings).

However Nokia N9 with PR 1.1 software behaves differently. Upon ActiveSync configuration the phone requires user to set up the passcode and there is no way to workaround this. I'm attaching the logs I gathered from the device. I hope they would help investigate this issue.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on how to get rid of the password

Thank you,
Docent
Hi Docent - your post might actually be related to mine, in a strange way. I hope Sergey is reading this as well - because Houston: We've got a problem!! Here's what happened to me:

The other day I got information from my company, that I should sync my N9 against another MfE server. So replaced the existing server with a new - and the phone synced. At least I think it did, because I watched it start, and put the phone away.

When I picked it up again, it was locked... Firmly! I did NOT set any code - I was not asked - and still... locked! It said "Angiv Låsekode", which translates into "Enter Security Code".

The phone could receive calls, and dial emergency numbers. I could enter pin-codes as much as I wanted - from 1 digit up to 30 digits I think. Tried about a 100 times. I could not enter letters, I could not leave it blank, I could not long-press and nothing I did had any effect. It did not lock itself further or threathen to erase either.

Tried all pin-codes I've got (which is 1 - not much to be mistaken about), tried the track&protect pin - but nothing worked. Entering my MfE-code was not possible, since that consists of letters and digits.

There are NO policy settings on the server, according to the MfE experts in my company.

My conclusion is that the N9 can lock itself upon a change in MfE server.

I had to send it for repair here in Denmark - and the repair later sent it on to Nokia's HQ in Finland for furhter testing. I do not expect to see it again, since it's probably worth having for the developers to experiment with.

So, Sergey - If you want to find out more about this problem - your colleagues have got an example - sent with greetings from Denmark.

This is the thread I've been posting in - and it contains links to several other people in other threads that have had the same issue. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80821

Thanks to Jalyst for pointing out the relevancy in this thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MortenS For This Useful Post:
Hi Sergey, could you take a look into this issue that I mentioned in another post and provide any help? Thanks.

--------------------

I just got a new N9 and updated to PR 1.1. Got the MFE work for my gmail account, select "always update to date". All works perfectly for mail, contact, and calendar - almost update mails instantaneously.

However, I noticed this weird thing:

It works very well for new email notification for the first mail coming in. Then if I did not check that new mail and let it be there, there will be no more notifications (sound or vibration) for the following new mails. Just you can see the increase of new email numbers on the notification screen. Only after you check the emails and clear the new mail signs, it start to play the sound and vibrate when receive the first new mail, and problems again after that. Just wonder if this is a way by design or it is a bug already reported or can be fixed by changing setting.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x220 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by aenbacka View Post
I noticed something strange with one of my N950 IMAP email accounts today; I have the account configured to be always up-to-date. When checking the IMAP server log files, it seems that the e-mail client has been logging in constantly every 5 seconds (filling up the server log files). Is this normal behaviour?
I think this issue is already mentioned on the page just before your post.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-18 at 17:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Why can't the N9 Mail For Exchange view HTML formatted emails??
Sergey,

Some further developments RE this issue are in his thread.
Tis worthwhile reading from here (not too many posts):
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...38#post1138538

godofwar's already identified what looks to be the cause of no HTML formatting for MfE Hotmail accts.
But it'd be nice to get your insights, as there appears to be no HTML formatting in other scenarios too.
After reading can you please highlight what the root causes are, & if there's solutions planned?

Thank-you.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-18 at 17:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MortenS View Post
Hi Docent - your post might actually be related to mine, in a strange way. I hope Sergey is reading this as well - because Houston: We've got a problem!! Here's what happened to me:
You should probably reference the thread were all the discussion's been ongoing.
Particularly the last few pages.....
Apparently there's now a fix for his issue (although one usr claims it's not for him).
But that doesn't get us much closer to why it happened in the first place.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Due to the Mfe I am back to iPhone 4. N9 just doesn't cut it. There are issues regarding security lock that are preventing me from using my work email. Hope the next firmware fixes it, but I have some serious doubts. The company is in bed with Microsoft and Mfe should be flawless!!!!!

Tags
attachments, email, issues, mail exchange, nokia n9, nokia n950