Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Your first request is pretty damn niche market man. I doubt you could find a handful of people here that want that kind of thing. Hell even with the iphone user base I doubt you could find that many.

The fantastic thing is of course that if its that important to you you can write it yourself. Then share it with the community and listen to everyone whine and moan about it.
thats why there are several apps doing this on the iphone android and symbian :S

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
repeating it doesn't make it true. nokia makes the smartphones the mass market wants these days. 4 out of 10 smartphones are symbian. apple, which you mention in your post, isn't even close to the half of this number.

so it's nokia who makes devices for the mass market, not anyone else. the others may shout louder because they have less to say, but these are the sales figures.

the n900, though, was not meant for the mass market. it already became much more "mass market" than nokie wanted it to become. it attracted consumers like you, which it shouldn't have. that was a mistake probably. the issue with the n900 isn't that they sell too few units. they sell too many. and to the wrong people.
As english is not my native language i could not make my point as clear as i wanted but with mass markets i meant high end device mass markets. I'm fully aware that nokia has 40% market share but i'm willing to bet that 90% out of those 40% comes from cheapish 100€-200€ symbian phones with users that doesn't even know they are having a smartphone. I'm having hard time to understand why people have something against constructive feedback. Oh and i don't expect Nokia to update my N900 to iphone. I was hoping that some day Nokia could make that iKiller that they have promised for 4 years already.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
what the **** is your problem?i dont give a **** about the law and about *****boys like you.so put your head back in your mothers *** and shut the **** up
ban hammer is on its way dude, chill out

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

I haven't read the entire thread, I've skimmed the start and the last few pages. I would agree completely that Ovi store is a failure and, even worse, an embarrassment. To say the management of the whole Ovi side has been shoddy is an understatement.

However, writing letters to Nokia or twittering about it is not going to get more apps on the store for the n900. With MeeGo looming on the horizon this is pretty much what is going to be for your handset. There is not the developer interest out there for the n900 to produce a large or comprehensive catalogue of applications. There never will be. Having a large publicity campaign is not going to get developers and businesses to spend their time and money porting their applications over just to make you feel better. Nokia are going to spend as little as they can get away with in the sunsetting of the n900.

As a genuine question, how many people on here calling for more apps have thought about downloading the sdk and developing something themselves? Im helping run a development competition which includes absolute beginners, but I dont see many of the same names here. I understand not everybody wants to write applications and maybe they shouldn't expect to. Whether realising it or not, you have bought into a handset which has a strong open source heritage, it would be great to get more people involved in that side of things.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
^^^ thats ur 9th post of this forum !! great going

oh well that wasnt for that !! neways!!

hey we could like ask nokia by just saying one line:

N900 Needs Your Love Nokia!! Are You Listening!!

or Maybe like

N900 Needs To Be Connected To You First To Connect People!!

what say?

we can tweet it !!? or something?

Last edited by xomm; 2010-06-05 at 21:04. Reason: Merged string of posts. Please add to an existing post if no one has replied, unless it's a bump.

N900 unconnecting people with nokia

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
No doubt, Ovi is a fail on Nokia's part that must be fixed and fast! Gotta agree with that.

But Jeeeeez...this is a mess of a thread. I can't help but wonder...how many of those dropping multiple f-bombs, SCREAMING IN CAPS and typing 'you' as 'u' and 'are' as 'r' still live with Mom and Dad? I mean, where's the personal responsibility for your choice of how you spent your money (or Mom & Dad's)?

The louder you complain the clearer it is that you simply don't understand what the whole concept of the N900/Maemo/MeeGo is really all about or who and what it's intended for. if you don't 'get it' well, I'm sorry, but your squealin' like stuck pigs only makes you look that much more foolish. Those owners who do 'get it' are very satisfied indeed.

Hint: State-of-the-art pocket computers are not primarily about games or MMS.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
As a genuine question, how many people on here calling for more apps have thought about downloading the sdk and developing something themselves? Im helping run a development competition which includes absolute beginners, but I dont see many of the same names here. I understand not everybody wants to write applications and maybe they shouldn't expect to. Whether realising it or not, you have bought into a handset which has a strong open source heritage, it would be great to get more people involved in that side of things.
Today i found this great app called babyphone and it's going to be in heavy use in our family. Thumbs up for developer but i'm a afraid that he won't be getting even nearly enough support that he deserves for all the hard work that he has put to this app and partly childish community. Why would Meego change a thing if Nokias effort towards Ovi Store and consumers is in this stage?

ps. In my opinion is not good thing to suggest that every N900 owner should be developer or shut up. I have work, two childs and hobbys that takes all of my time but im willing to pay for quality content that makes my unfinished phone better. Isn't that enough? If no one wants to pay for anything in long run we end up having ports of Mr Potato Head and other usefull linux apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to jtmstr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jtmstr View Post
ps. In my opinion is not good thing to suggest that every N900 owner should be developer or shut up.
I hope that's not how my post came across to you, as that's not what I meant in any case. But there does need to be a realization of the state of play with this device. That part of my post was more to garner interest in those who would be interested in starting developing.

I have work, two childs and hobbys that takes all of my time but im willing to pay for quality content that makes my unfinished phone better. Isn't that enough?
Nobody is expecting more from you individually, but if you mean to have a successful app store? Then the honest answer is, frankly, no. It's not enough. Not on it's own atleast.

To make a successful application store you need more than that. You need a large potential customer base of people like you and me who are happy to pay for quality apps, in order to get the developers interested. Then you need good development tools and resources available for the developers to work with. You also need a good quality app store with payment system. Along with that you need good marketing a bit of the x-factor to set it off. And all that gets buyers interested and starts the cycle off again..

Nokia were far too slow with Qt 4.6 sdk and pr 1.2, the Ovi store is a mess, poor marketing, you name it.. it hasn't been very successful to date. Hopefully lessons will be learned and carried forward, but it'll come too late for the n900. However the Symbian side is a lot better, in hindsight perhaps we'll see much of this wasn't really in the plan for the n900 - goals rather than necessities.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-06-05 at 22:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Even Droid is getting an unofficial release of Froyo....and Nokia is still struggling with Ovi Store......no comment