Active Topics

Originally Posted by fake View Post
They both fit pretty tightly, which is going to make things tough for you.

As for the wood stand, It would have been easier to take them apart if they were still bare wood. The paint and the non-slip coating on the wood stand both conspire to seal the two halves together. If you push them together/pop them apart a few times, it should get easier each time.

The same goes for the acrylic. The important thing with the acrylic stand is to take it apart without applying pressure to the thin parts on the far sides of the back brace -- try to pull it apart straight up and down, because if the side piece flexes hard against the sides of the back brace, they will snap. But again, with every removal/insertion cycle, they will become easier and easier to take apart.

My opinion is that a bare wood or acrylic stand is the best option for travel. Both can be "broken in" so that they come apart easily. It reduces their overall stability, but does make for something very portable.
I figured out how to support the pieces as they push them apart. Once it starts moving they actually come apart pretty easily. The paint comes off on my sweaty hands though but no biggie. Now when I'm on those long flights I'll have the acrylic stand to hold up my phone while I watch movies / play games. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
They both fit pretty tightly, which is going to make things tough for you.
Any hints on getting the wood stand completely together?

The acrylic was reasonably easy, but I can't get the wood one to slide the full distance.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Silicon Valley
I've thought about it, but I'm not sure. What I imagine doing is finding a stand for some other phone that people are happy with, and then making a new top/holder piece for it.

Anyone have suggestions for such a base?
Fake, check out ProClip as they have mounting options for most car model types, but need your magic for the N900 mount bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to speednut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 348 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Fargo, North Dakota, USA
Originally Posted by j.s View Post
Any hints on getting the wood stand completely together?

The acrylic was reasonably easy, but I can't get the wood one to slide the full distance.
Yeah, I've been doing some testing/fitting of about a dozen wood and a dozen acrylic stands tonight due to one person getting a bad one (looks like I sent him a prototype part by mistake). It's really important to me that they are perfect.

The wood ones are definitely tough to get together. I've taken a few different approaches. The biggest thing is just to use more force. They will be very tight fitting. It may be helpful to press the brace bar against the sharp edge of a table, or even to use other parts from your stand to get things done.

I am really tired and about to go to bed, but I made a quick video. It just shows me assembling a wooden stand so you can see what I do and how much force I use. That video will be uploaded in 20 minutes from the time of this posting (right click/save as):

http://danreetz.com/for_maemo/wood_stand.MOV

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fake For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by speednut View Post
Fake, check out ProClip as they have mounting options for most car model types, but need your magic for the N900 mount bit.
Wow, that's almost perfect. I'll order one and see what can be done.

The Following User Says Thank You to fake For This Useful Post:
For people who purchased acrylic stands, I have made a second video showing what you should expect from your stand in terms of tightness, tolerances, and assembly.

http://danreetz.com/for_maemo/acrylic_stand.MOV

It will be finished uploading about 30 minutes from the time of this post.

Again, the wood stand video is:
http://danreetz.com/for_maemo/wood_stand.MOV

Tomorrow, I'll convert these into Youtube videos.

Originally Posted by speednut View Post
Huh, looks like they already have an N900 holder!

Here's a link to an image of the holder.

The Following User Says Thank You to fake For This Useful Post:
I've ordered tree of these cuties... and I haven't even got the phone yet! Only 144 SEK. Now that's a good deal!

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Happy customer

got my stands today. Was a bit concerned about fit at first but used the 'more force' method to get all parts to sit in the right places.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZootHornRollo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Happy customer

got my stands today. Was a bit concerned about fit at first but used the 'more force' method to get all parts to sit in the right places.
w00t! Thanks for confirmation that the "MORE FORCE!" method is what's needed. And thanks for your purchase.

Tags
accessory, acrylic, awesome!, complex pricing structure, holder, inexpensive, n900, n900 stand, stand, stay in school!!!, wood