Closed Thread
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Or Tuner, which is an unique app! It's why I was playing around with libhildon1 on Harmattan - to get this app running

/edit: and it's much easier to "hildonize" gtk interface of an already-gtk app that to rewrite it in Qt.
mmm very good idea try porting fremantle/HildonUI apps to sailfishos/nemo NOT...

Just wonder how much time developers will use when for porting old libs and unusable UI, instead of just redo the app(s) for nemo/sailfish ui instead?.......

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-10-28 at 22:04.

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Android aplicattions to monitor your exercise routes:

Endomondo
Oruxmaps

The Following User Says Thank You to xdanx For This Useful Post:
It would be nice if Sleeper is exported to Sailfish. It's the timer app on the N9 that automatically turns off the music player. I use it daily.

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by genchigenbutsu View Post
It would be nice if Sleeper is exported to Sailfish. It's the timer app on the N9 that automatically turns off the music player. I use it daily.
If not ported you can probably do that from terminal command.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I think GTK3 should be good to go as it should have mainline Wayland support. I would say some mucking with GTK3 packages from Fedora/OpenSuse in Mer OBS should do the job.

GTK2 is more complicated as it does not support Wayland, so XWayland will be needed first for it to work. Hacking it work directly with Wayland might not be an option, as at least GDK is directly using & exposing (I've actually used some of that in modRana ) a lot of X stuff.

Still, GTK is IMHO not that suitable for mobile GUI development. Sure, it is possible, but it is quite a masochistic exercise, provided there are better suited alternatives available, such as Qt.
I got a bit curious about this so I tried to get GTK to work in Sailfish. Long story short, after upgrading and building the stack (glib, atk, gdk-pixbuf, cairo, pango, fontconfig, harfbuzz, wayland) under GTK which is needed for the newest GTK version (3.11.0), I finally got GTK to start compiling ... but then I hit this bug:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=710584

So once that bug is fixed GTK can be built on Sailfish. I'm not sure if the Sailfish compositor allows it to run though. But if it does I guess that GTK3 apps will at least run on Sailfish. GTK2 needs xwayland to run and that is another story ...
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
I got a bit curious about this so I tried to get GTK to work in Sailfish. Long story short, after upgrading and building the stack (glib, atk, gdk-pixbuf, cairo, pango, fontconfig, harfbuzz, wayland) under GTK which is needed for the newest GTK version (3.11.0), I finally got GTK to start compiling ... but then I hit this bug:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=710584

So once that bug is fixed GTK can be built on Sailfish. I'm not sure if the Sailfish compositor allows it to run though. But if it does I guess that GTK3 apps will at least run on Sailfish. GTK2 needs xwayland to run and that is another story ...
Please comment the bug in the bugzilla and confirm it so that the developers might interest in fixing this.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Ok, I made a comment. But still, will be interesting to see if GTK works in Sailfish. Last time I tried not even raw QML worked. I was forced to use Silicas ApplicationWindow to get the app to run. This is the first time I'm using native Wayland so I'm not sure how windows works ... or if it's even called windows in Wayland. If GTK somehow can bypass the whole Sailfish UX? Anyway, if GTK works in Sailfish there will be some more apps that do not exist on other mobile systems and that must be a good thing.

Edit: And MartinK seems to have started to build the gtk stack here:
http://repo.merproject.org/obs/home:...est_i586/i586/

But a few packages that already exist in Sailfish (glib, cairo, pango, fontconfig) will need to be upgraded to make gtk work.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2013-10-30 at 19:39.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
cuteTube on Sailfish: http://marxoft.co.uk/cutetube/sailfish/

My website

GitHub

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
Ok, I made a comment. But still, will be interesting to see if GTK works in Sailfish. Last time I tried not even raw QML worked. I was forced to use Silicas ApplicationWindow to get the app to run.
It should most likely work. It won't be at all optimal or tested, but we don't require anything special.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
applications, fm transmiter, infrared led, sailfish