Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I wanna see an app for this service...
http://arstechnica.com/media/news/20...rom-itself.ars
Looks pretty damn cool.....

Once again only available in the US for now.
But where there's a will, there's a way

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-08-14 at 19:41.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Social science has no answers, no rights and wrongs, only public reactions. We do have that data and it is not looking positive. If nokia has "data" that shows that the risk is lower and they are going to be fine and that people should invest in them then it is in their best interest to plan a press release. This is the way any social science works.
Care to elaborate a bit on your data?

My concern is that the board has been taken advice from the same bunch that thought EDoF was a bright idea.

Look at the sate of Android now. The only ones making money on Android are Samsung, HTC, ZTE and Huawei. The only reason they make money is they have high priced "flagship" devices that sell well regarding Samsung and HTC, and extremely cheap but good enough devices from ZTE and Huawei. Very soon ZTE and Huawei will take over the flagship throne with much cheaper devices than Samsung and HTC.

That is the future for Android, a place where competition is only driven by cost. WP has a different future, a future where value added software and services will drive hardware in a different direction toward quality and usability, not very unlike Apples approach, yet different in some key aspects. It is not without reason none of the big names have given up on WP despite the rather cool first year.

IMO the success of Nokia in the future is tied directly to how much they want WP-Nokia to succeed and how hard they (Nokia and MS) work do make it happen. The rest, data and whatever, is secondary.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
That is the future for Android, a place where competition is only driven by cost. WP has a different future, a future where value added software and services will drive hardware in a different direction toward quality and usability, not very unlike Apples approach, yet different in some key aspects. It is not without reason none of the big names have given up on WP despite the rather cool first year.

IMO the success of Nokia in the future is tied directly to how much they want WP-Nokia to succeed and how hard they (Nokia and MS) work do make it happen. The rest, data and whatever, is secondary.
Huh? It's quite clear Microsoft will have firm grip on the whole WP "ecosystem" and Nokia at best can hope to be just another HW manufacturer.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Says who?
My father was buying C7 before i explained him that you can't really take close ups of documents. So he ended buying GS.

Most people do macroshots and anyways it's not even about how many takes them when you are simply talking about crappier cameras. Nokia has been able to get af cameras before on it's ~200 euros phones so why not now?
It's just cheapness that nobody should defend no matter how much you like the brand.
Actually one of the main reasons for using EDoF modules is the size of them as compared to other camera modules.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by umo120 View Post
Huh? It's quite clear Microsoft will have firm grip on the whole WP "ecosystem" and Nokia at best can hope to be just another HW manufacturer.
Compal is making those WP7 phones. I don't know of them doing any work with Nokia before...

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
That's a fair point. IMO though, Windows Mobile is superseded by Windows Phone but this is all semantics, the point still stands because, as I have said, the actual change or dichotomy of the product is irrelevant to the market performance statistics.

The point is that a 0 to x number is a very poor way of trying to show a trend, where as basing it on a companies past performance or over an actual period in that sector (whether you choose to compound Phone/Mobile or not) is far more sound, far more reliable.

You don't even need to look at windows mobile, because if you look at windows phone over an actual period rather than a 0 to x you will still see the actual trend (which is still decreasing). Compounding windows mobile and windows phone will inflate Microsofts marketshare by shifting the graph up as a whole but will not change the trend you see for WP into a negative unless it was actually negative. Splitting it can show a negative as an increase if all you do is look at a 0 to x number instead because 0 to x will always show an increase, you cannot have a negative market share. if Windows Phone was performing well it should have shown a quarterly increase in the compounded graph, not still show a quarterly decrease over an actual period. I will reiterate the point, what you cannot do is look at a 0 to x number and say that it is now more popular or better performing as a product, a different product or otherwise, a separate entity or not, if you could then you can even change the trend of the exact same product by deciding to split it (arbitrarily or not). Some companies actually do this and some people actually fall for it.
Yeah, I get you. As far as I can tell though WP7 marketshare has remained relatively static since launch. Regardless, all I'm saying is that I'm not writing it off; it could still very easily be unsuccessful. That said, I think Microsoft themselves will try pretty damn hard to make sure that doesn't happen (To the people crying Kin: that was one handset. This is MS's play for the mobile arena as a whole).

Originally Posted by keflex View Post
Actually one of the main reasons for using EDoF modules is the size of them as compared to other camera modules.
Yep, that's how is has been explained by Damian but likes of Samsung and Apple seems to be doing just fine with using AF on their thinner phones than any Nokia out there.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Compal is making those WP7 phones. I don't know of them doing any work with Nokia before...
I believe they manufactured Booklet 3G.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Yeah, that's why I wrote "at best". The fact that by Elop's plan Nokia probably won't be even HW manufacturer is just another sad part of this bizarre joke. But you know, shareholders and BOD surely know what's going on, so just be patient.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Bull. What you actually say is; among the rumors and bloggers analysis I have read, I chose to put value on those supporting the view that Nokia will fail.
I don't read blogs. I do read the writing on the wall, though. And it says '(Nokia + Microsoft) == Epic fail'.

My website

GitHub

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I don't read blogs. I do read the writing on the wall, though. And it says '(Nokia + Microsoft) == Epic fail'.
What do you base this on?

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????