Notices

I'm seeing the same bug as in your screenshot (in my case with an SVN build and a CloudMade map of DC).

What settings have you looked at? I had some success with setting a smaller font size in my navit.xml. Painting speed is improved, but the problem didn't go away entirely.

I now have the OSD showing the correct speed in mph, BTW. Some additional work is needed, but I posted a patch to tracker.

Originally Posted by adamis View Post
hoorah, it looks like you have some coding skills... It'as been a while since I last spoke with the developer of Navit but I know he would be more then happy to have someone submit a patch for converting units. You can contact him on the #navit channel on freenode.net. He goes by cp15 and monitors the channel quite often. If you don't get a response right away try back in a couple of hours. He is in Europe somewhere so you will have to account for the time difference.

As for the highway name thing, I just submitted that yesterday as ticket 408. I to would like to see a fix for this issue as it can slow navit down quite a bit.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Las Vegas
I haven't played around with any settings. I'm currently on a business trip and I don't have the time to dig into things like this unfortunately. I hope to get more involved again in a month or two when things settle down.

Did you by chance get a chance to chat with cp15? I would be curious to know if and when he might be able to apply your patches because I sure would like to have some English units...

I haven't talked to cp15.... the gtk statusbar is still metric-only, so I doubt he'd apply the patch at present. Will ask anyway. (I posted my patch so the author of the original patch could add mph to his.)

Do you have the statusbar enabled on your navit? I don't think many N8X0 users do, so I can send you my deb if you'd like (as long as you aren't using garmin maps.... pretty sure libgarmin isn't installed on my dev kit).

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply. I do not have my status bar enabled. I am only using the Internal GUI.

Excuse me for pouring my anger and frustration into this post, also excuse my cussing words - delete them if you like, I won't.

Linux is a joke. I mean, seriously - how can you expect me to treat it as a real alternative to any other OS out there, when I, who consider myself quite capable of dealing with most issues on Windows, spent 2 ****ing days trying to set up this Navit to work with freaking Garmin maps and am far from achieving my goal.

I mean, I am no Linux fan/expert, probably not even an amatuer, but I would hope that after spending so much time doing this I would get somewhere. But NOOOOO, I guess I should be using Linux at least for 2 years as my primary OS to figure this **** out.

Can you believe this? I actually went through around 24 hour of video lessons of introduction to Linux, learning some basic stuff - for what? It has no ****ing use to me if I have to spent hours upon hours figuring there is always something missing and that I am just not there yet. And holy **** - I know I took lessons recorded in 2004 - but noone - and I don't know if this is newer stuff - EVER mentioned anything about SVN or freaking CVS. User friendliness on scale 1-100? -10 period

So yeah, had to get this out. Now, I would appreciate some help ... I have a Nokia n810, probably corrupted installation of libgarmin somewhere (freaking svn DOES NOT WORK OUT OF COMMAND LINE!! - something about UTF8 error (?), so i had to install it using .deb package, which probably messed everything up). Anyway i could start over? and is there any tutorial - like step by step and not in form like this:

"Be sure to update navit to latest cvs

reconfigure and build navit. "

You might just as well say "Bla bla, bla, blah, blah bla ... BLA!"

Well thanks for reading, sorry for my anger again and take care.

sword, your anger seems to be a little misguided. Linux is not Windows (thank goodness for that...) so you can't expect everything you thought you knew about computers to just automatically transfer over. It's a different mindset, different philosophy.

With that said... where are you getting your instructions to install Navit? You do NOT need to compile Navit. There are already nightly SVN builds available. Doing a simple google search of n810+navit brings up in the first position the wiki for installing Navit on the N810. The first thing mentioned is where to go to get the Navit SVN repository installed on your tablet (linked to the maemo.org website). Point, Click, Install, Simple...

For setting up Navit the rest of the wiki is pretty self explanatory and contains everything you need to get going including sample configuration files with included commands to enter. Although not quite as simple as installing Navit it is still manageable.

Finally... I think your expectations need to be checked with reality. Navit is not advertised as release quality, nor was it even designed for the Nokia tablets in general. One of the community members here was kind enough to provide a way to install it on our tablets so the rest of us could play around with it. There is a LOT of work that still has to be done and it will probably be months if not a year or two before you can expect Navit to be polished enough to be considered a release. If you are thinking you are going to get a Tom Tom replacement by installing Navit I suggest you move along. If you are looking for something that has vector maps, works on the tablets and can do limited offline routing and you don't mind playing around with alpha software then use Navit.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adamis For This Useful Post:
Alright. I did actually use the install method you mentioned for Navit - and it works just fine this way except any maps actually showing up. Otherwise - for setting up I used this wiki articles:

1. http://wiki.navit-project.org/index....n770/n800/n810
2. http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Garmin_maps

I did use two example configuration files provided in frist article. And I get the look I was supposed to with OSD - though as mentioned, no map view. I am aware that this setting will only detect maps set in /media/mmc1/map/ directory and this is where I placed my Gaarmin img file.

Now to the libgarmin configuration - this is where things got frustratingly difficult for me. Firstly, they are only available through SVN - which incidentally I know nothing about. But i figured it was not installed on my n810, as the command svn did not return anything but "command not found". Therefore I installed SVN support (point and click method). Alright - I thought I was getting somewhere - I try to use command svn co again to receive the files I needed.

First time I received something about UFT-8 error and while I tried to recreate the problem and actual error message, this time svn co worked and I think I have the files I need.

(just to explain - when it didn't work before, i tried downloading one by one and putting it into directory tree, it took too long on n810 so I tried in Windows and then transfer it over USB cable, but I gave up the plan when I saw that when downloaded these files had .htm extension. So I found this .deb package at http://www.tecdencia.net/navit/ (at the bottom) ... it claimed to have installed, but any tests were unsuccessful.)

Now, back on track - I have the directory structure I need to execute following commands:

cd libgarmin
./autosh.sh
make

And, as root :
make install

and then:

Be sure to update navit to latest cvs

reconfigure and build navit.

cd ../..
./autogen.sh && ./configure && make

Now this last part as I mentioned means nothing to me - update navit to latest cvs?! reconfigure and build? Really? Yeah, I ll do that ...

Well unfortunately I didn't get that far but it sure took my initiative away. I stopped at ./autosh.sh now. It just returns "-sh: ./autosh.sh: not found" though it is clearly there in the folder with other files. Using sudo, full path to the file doesn't work either and I can't actually determine what's wrong.

So here I am. And before this worked and I used libgarmin .deb package I also already set up navit.xml to point to appropriate garmin map.

I also found these instructions - http://libgarmin.sourceforge.net/ - but they seem to do the same thing by using more commands? Which should I follow?

I don't use the garmin maps so I am unfamiliar with what it takes to utilize those maps. The OSM maps although not perfect are what most of the development focus for Navit is on. Getting OSM maps to work are fairly straight forward and do not require any of this compiling stuff. If you can live with the limitations of OSM then try using those maps. Otherwise you might want to join the Navit irc channel on freenode.net and ask your garmin specific questions there.

Elsewhere in this thread people have asked about methods for keeping the screen display on rather than having it blank out after a few minutes. I would like to use Navit on my N800 while riding my motorcycle, but the screen display problem kept me from doing so.

I found an old post at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=arnims

that describes the commands to change the screen display settings. In a nutshell, you open up a terminal on your N8xx and then use the gconftool to modify the settings. For example, to set your display dim and blank timeouts directly (for e.g. to 1/2 hour and 1 hour - 1800 and 3600 seconds respectively) run this from ssh/xterm:

gconftool-2 -s "/system/osso/dsm/display/display_dim_timeout" 1800 -t INT
gconftool-2 -s "/system/osso/dsm/display/display_blank_timeout" 3600 -t INT

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by bruce kissinger View Post
Elsewhere in this thread people have asked about methods for keeping the screen display on rather than having it blank out after a few minutes. I would like to use Navit on my N800 while riding my motorcycle, but the screen display problem kept me from doing so.

I found an old post at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=arnims

that describes the commands to change the screen display settings. In a nutshell, you open up a terminal on your N8xx and then use the gconftool to modify the settings. For example, to set your display dim and blank timeouts directly (for e.g. to 1/2 hour and 1 hour - 1800 and 3600 seconds respectively) run this from ssh/xterm:

gconftool-2 -s "/system/osso/dsm/display/display_dim_timeout" 1800 -t INT
gconftool-2 -s "/system/osso/dsm/display/display_blank_timeout" 3600 -t INT
You might try Navit in full screen zoom. I believe that when you run Maemo Mapper in full screen it doesn't dim the screen. Navit might do the same.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1