Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
kmart is sears? we had a SEARS here. closed due certain bad management, then license expired.
Yup! Back in 2004. http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/17/news...0/sears_kmart/
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
>> What possible benefit is there to you the consumer? The same things can be achieved with open standards without trapping your cash!

This is one of those "men are from venus and women are from mars" moments.

For the upteemth time - consumers dont give a SH1T what about open vs closed. They CANT be in FAVOR of "closed", because they dont know the difference. All else being equal, they will not buy the product with the "CLOSED" sticker rather then the "OPEN" sticker (and vice versa).

All they care about is this - they pay X $$$ to get Y if they like Y.

They will support companies that give them stuff they want for $$$, REGARDLESS of whether it comes from a CLOSED or OPEN philosophy.

Mainstream consumers will NOT actively fight for "Open" as they have enough **** to deal with in their everyday lives without getting into some abstract geeky religious war.

Getting mindshare in this day and age is hard enough - trying to get mindshare with an anti-sexy concept like FOSS is like tilting at windmills. I have better things to do with my life.

You want to push OPEN ? Start a company that releases products that embody a standard - if you can get these products to really SELL, others will start to follow (accessories, apps whatever) and as the controller of that standard, you can then OPEN it or whatever.

All else is empty hot air is whining about the lack of JUUUSSSTICE(tm) in this world.

it have nothing to with being open and closed true, u can have open source store and third party premium working on ur same device.

only reason iOS managed to get it ecosystem because convince good third party to make contend for it. regardless its platform it closed. idiots buy the apps.. others pirate it.

it brings profits. market share low but u can bring hundreds on apps purchaces and people buy ur crappy device because to keep using the app (like blackberry messenger) they need a device.

and probably its the only reason blackberry is alive,
a few months ago i went to cancel my contract and they were trying to sell a bold 9780 for 800$ for a old woman probably around 50s. telling her in contract she could get it for 299$. her bold wasn't even that improvement. other camera. but she needed her blackberry messenger. simply she didnt know better.

the closed OS bits, its just to make developers fell at peace, people wont pirate it. or its gotta be hard to be, bad for them people will...people do...even closed OS like iOS or WP7

general idea of open source = free apps=competition, easy to pirate.
the good thing is other than games, every app and more hacks have bee done n900 han iOS-android put together.

reason why i prefer open-OS , u dont require company to fix it problems. someone else can.

my n82 will never get update again, but it music player still have database problem they never fixed or ever will.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
general idea of open source = free apps=competition, easy to pirate.
the good thing is other than games, every app and more hacks have bee done n900 han iOS-android put together.

reason why i prefer open-OS , u dont require company to fix it problems. someone else can.
Despite the fact that I like my Android devices, I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Despite the fact that I like my Android devices, I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.
too bad we still need NOKIA to release the darn device, huh?
well, as MeeGo is now "open-source" @ least, any other company may start selling a MeeGo device too...

hopefully with a mSDHC slot
possibly the only reason they didn't include it was to make the 64GB version attractive

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
well, as MeeGo is now "open-source" @ least, any other company may start selling a MeeGo device too...

possibly the only reason they didn't include it was to make the 64GB version attractive
I, for one, look forward to serving our shiny new Intel overlords. Can't be any worse than Nokia treated us.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

well at least it support mass storage.

iphone useless without itunes. and wnidows phone 7 its worse with zune software (zombie platform):

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I, for one, look forward to serving our shiny new Intel overlords. Can't be any worse than Nokia treated us.
Intel makes CPUs, video (in-)capable GPUs, chipsets...
but no devices, nope

well, if they only make the Atom family (under whatever name) mobile phone compatible, that would already be something. still wouldn't mean m$ would switch to it, neither, but considering the "platform" and "software" (3rd party as well as 1st party) aspects, it would make utter sense; in fact the only condition under which all that "3rd party software" babbling would ever make ANY sense

and would ultimately mean that MeeGo could run on any device LostDOS Paralysed runs on too
questionable in how far m$ would allow that.
then again, they get their $$$$$s when the device is bought, so why would they care what eventually runs on it, right?
and no more complains that an update bricked the device ¦-))))))
but no more $$$ trickling in from 3rd party software market

wondering

EDIT: the only reason why Intel would be better then NOKIA (is it, really?) is because they don't manufacture any devices themselves, thus they have no interest into locking consumers into one;
then again, once an Intel CPU platform for mobile phones is available... you'd need AMD (or NVidia or TI or ..........) to provide an alternative; same old story, all over again

Last edited by misterc; 2011-07-19 at 09:56. Reason: Intel isn't a device manufacturer

well at least it support mass storage.

iphone useless without itunes. and wnidows phone 7 its worse with zune software (zombie platform):
16GB, mass storage
whom are you trying to fool?

i can still use my N900(s) with the 8GB mSDHC i originally put in, but that's only because i ended up putting the MP3s on ~/MyDocs and periodically move PICs & VIDs to the PC

the iPotato 3G i got a couple years ago is used as "USB stick" on a pair of loudspeakers, but honestly? 16GB simply doesn't cover it (any more)
and if you want to start to install NITDroid or Mer or ............., well, it starts getting very tight, doesn't it?

EDIT: who was pointing out USB as being an "open standard"?
well, the rotten iPotatos are a sad example how even a hardware "open standard" can be abused

Last edited by misterc; 2011-07-19 at 09:48. Reason: USB => open standard

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by meego99 View Post
MS is the best thing that happened to nokia. MS made a mistake of going with nokia. Nokia is a loser
yeah right! The winner of this deal is Microsoft! now they have acces to:

The best phoneengineers on lowlevel coding
The best hw enngineers
The best Maps
The best camera phones

list goes on

Now what will has Microsoft that Nokia is so desperatly needing? MIcrosoft crap ecosystem yeha

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden

there will be no other company using meego on handset atm they making money on Android so why the **** would they go meego? In some years MicroNokia release wpsuck and the others will follow that **** but so when my n9 is rip there probadly is nothing for me.

Tags
balmer was here, e6 rox, elop rox, elop snopp, elop's fool, the elop flop