Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I can't decided if I'm like this other side or not. I guess it all come down to the quality of the of the additions. At the moment I have happy meal quality in my mind.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

history is a story
full of sound and fury
told by a deaf to a mute
and signifying nothing!
sorry to sound so sarcastic, but from what i have seen so far... we haven't seen anything but prototypes
insist on plural, b/c sometimes they switch devices during an interview depending on what they want / have to show.
e.g. never actually saw the "theme bla-bla" changing after the back cover was switched.

and haven't seen a single Jolla device handed over to a journalist / bloger for full inspection.

great potential, but whatever the final device may look like still stands in the stars can't help feeling
proof of concept

only conclusion from the demos is that the bezel doesn't seem that big and like underlined in a demo by Martin ("chief designer") considering the importance of sliding the finger from the side, it makes sense to have a good "basis" to start that motion from, rather then
  • having to overcome the resistance from the side of the device & swiping to far / strong / whatever
  • putting the finger on the display not quite from the edge, which probably defeats the "swype" effect

just my 2 cents / gut feeling

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daehoidar View Post
I've yet to come across a demo of Android running on Sailfish. Happy to be proven wrong, but it does seem strange that such an integral part of Jolla's ecosystem does not get the attention it needs to convince users to switch.
not even the Sailfish shop is accessible right now
accept that what we have seen so far is a "proof of concept", not even alpha level
they can't demo any hardware feature except the swiping motion, which is merely an extension improvement of MeeGo's Swype.
they can't even take a picture yet
well, apparently Wi-Fi works, maybe GSM (SMS's) too, but that's about it for now

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Two days have passed since the announcement, and we are getting a lot of ideas and visions. The imagination already goes beyond the sky limit. What I sincerely hope is that at the time it hits the market by the end of this year, the original phone shown 2 days ago will emerge with appropriate specifications. And I guess with this pre-order campaign, read "spreading the word and gathering opinions", Jolla shall have more than enough feedback for producing a true masterpiece. And we, pre-order lads, might be appreciated by them in form of letting us buy the phone for 400€ (the OH included), when it really could cost a lot more.
Btw, I happily parted with 100€ because I know I am supporting the right thing. And I know if things turn out to be bad (the phone and all related are no good), I will always be able to sell my OH at ebay and persuade somebody to buy the phone giving them my voucher as a gift. Until then, my N900 wil meet my needs as it always did, hopefully.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
No they wouldn't, apart from maybe a few tech blogs - Apple attracts a whole different crowd which values simplicity and design above all things - and you can't beat unibody at those points. Do you honestly think that an average iPhone user would even dare to change covers when even proper multitasking appear threatening to him/her?
Well, AFAIK the typical Apple fanatic does not really care about it being "unibody" or if there is "multitasking" or not.
The typical Apple fanatic cares about it being an iSomething device by Apple (TM)

If Apple tomorrow introduced device exactly like this new Jolla device, it would be an instant success all over the world and the talk about it's new advanced features would not cease for months.

You need to realise it's not about the products, its about the brand.

Go tell that to Nvidia and AMD and a slew of other hardware manufacturers that are making our lives in the Linux userland quite difficult for decades now. These days hardware relies on software hooks much more than it ever had and putting the software in the open lowers competitiveness of many manufacturers. Pair that with the fact that from the software itself you can find out a lot about the underlying architecture and you get to a point where hardware manufacturers are very reluctant on releasing drivers and interface specs for their hardware.
Weel that's just shortsightedness on the part of the HW vendors, and it might be part licensing agreements with large OS partners (read: Microsoft) as it is more on the liking of closed source shops rather than the HW vendors to keep the drivers closed.

As for closed drivers keeping the chip internal design details hidden, yes that might be the purpose of it but if it's so then it is futile as competitors can (and do) reverse engineer the HW designs routinely as fast as the first chips roll of the FAB
This is not even "industrial espionage", it's called "corporate intelligence" or something like that, depends on your your company.

And about having open drivers, consider the most advanced network chipsets from Intel, for example. The company has its own team of people to develop the open source drivers for their cards and the people are active on Linux kernel mailing lists and DO answer your queries promptly. (which I know, having worked with them)

Sadly, I don't see that changing anytime soon...
Well ya never know, if there is going to be more open source devices, sooner or later HW vendors will see that it's their obn benefit to have open drivers for theit chipsets/gadgets.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Why do people here beleive the otherhalf is a active component? If I look at ANY video there is NO contacts shown or anything else that make it possile to use other half as an active components.
I also already pointed to this plain surface under 'the other half' but I don't think that Jolla is lying about the (boundless) possibilities of the backcover.

I think that this surface under 'the other half' is an over removable cover under which you can see the battary and card slot and other things like some contacts to the attached hardware... They never showed us the back (without the other half) exactly till now and nobody came up with the idea of asking to show the battery.
So I think you can also replace this black cover with an other one which is adjusted to specific 'other halfs'' with e.g. cavities for some contacts...

Edit:
BTW: I just reading this and don't believe anymore that Jolla considered the option of a hardware keyboard because SailfishOS is only working in portrait mode at the moment...

Last edited by willi6868; 2013-05-22 at 12:07.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I can't be the only one who can see this:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
What's so special about a NFC tag planted on the cover? That's how the cover conveys the color to the device, or at least that's how it should.

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Yes, the real split should be, where the green line is, not where the red line is... otherwise the design does not really make sense.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
@incognito

I guess he's mainly just searching for more evidence of what you already alluded to in your last post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=418
It's disappointing that they're "show boating" this "Other Half" concept, but have very little to show for it.
Aside from superficial/boring uses (which themselves are still quite vague when it comes to detail).
This Other Half concept is their one true "standout hw" trump card, they need to do it well...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-22 at 15:44. Reason: replaced colloquialism with another that's more well-known

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red