Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
kojacker, zehjotkah

This Friday, at 15:00 UTC, we will have a meeting with X-Fade. Please send the details for CC voting to council@maemo.org so we can comment it with him and try to assist if you want to comment about it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
kojacker, zehjotkah

This Friday, at 15:00 UTC, we will have a meeting with X-Fade. Please send the details for CC voting to council@maemo.org so we can comment it with him and try to assist if you want to comment about it.
Thanks for keeping us up to date ivgalvez, can you advise us what kind of details do you need? The competition entry does not close until Sunday midnight so we would not have a full list of entries by Friday.

If I understand correctly from the meeting logs, X-Fade may be away on vacation for a week from the 10th. I think it would still be preferential even if we had to wait until his return to supply the full list of entrants. Although the vote would be delayed by a week, I think it would still be worth it to use the council voting mechanism. In reality, the alternatives would also introduce a delay anyway - be it for Reggie to verify anonymous votes or for the counts to be otherwise handled manually. And the extra time can still be used for verifying entries, testing from users, etc. Is there anything we could supply so X-Fade could get things started then there'd be less to do on his return?

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick...
Help! Screen (touchscreen, LCD screen, LED, light sensor, front camera - everything) is disconnected from the main body. The most I can do, is take photographs (or videos) blindly and restart the whole device (speakers are fine, and incoming calls are heard, but for some reason are regarded as missed calls very quickly, no chance to catch them). How can the hardware be repaired? Where can a manual be found? Thanks in advance.
It's the same issue as
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74007
Whoah! Sorry to hear about your bad luck Wikiwide, what happened?

When you say screen is disconnected from the main body, you mean literally seperated or that the software drivers are not working? You might want to reach out to the folks that have changed their phone cases as they might have some info/links to the assembly instructions you need. Good luck!

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-04 at 10:35.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Thanks for keeping us up to date ivgalvez, can you advise us what kind of details do you need? The competition entry does not close until Sunday midnight so we would not have a full list of entries by Friday.

If I understand correctly from the meeting logs, X-Fade may be away on vacation for a week from the 10th. I think it would still be preferential even if we had to wait until his return to supply the full list of entrants. Although the vote would be delayed by a week, I think it would still be worth it to use the council voting mechanism. In reality, the alternatives would also introduce a delay anyway - be it for Reggie to verify anonymous votes or for the counts to be otherwise handled manually. And the extra time can still be used for verifying entries, testing from users, etc. Is there anything we could supply so X-Fade could get things started then there'd be less to do on his return?
Well I understand the the entry to X-Fade would be the list of applications. Whatever it was needed for latest competition.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
@Thesis & FOSS
From my experience (Bachelors thesis & now Masters thesis on Faculty of Informatics Masaryk University) I was actively encouraged to do everything FOSS. Actually, it was required for the bachelors thesis ("compare current FOSS navigation systems, choose one and improve it").

Furthermore, all theses are available online in full, not only the written part [example] but also any source materials [example] (source code, documentation, images, ...).

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-09-04 at 11:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
For folks (especially beginners) who are uploading their Maemo5 applications to the mameo.org repositories today, titilambert has reported a possible problem with the builder at this time http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86572. It won't affect any builds you are making locally, only if you are using the maemo.org repository auto-builder. So if that's in your plans please keep an eye on the thread so you're not caught out

It shouldn't take long to fix so hopefully it won't affect anyone taking part in the competition before Sunday's deadline. However, it's not necessary for your application to be on the maemo.org repository to take part in the competition (though it's nice - you get virtual brownie points*) - so even if it's still broken by then you can host your deb somewhere and upload it to the repository later.

* virtual brownie points not redeemable for prizes

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Well I understand the the entry to X-Fade would be the list of applications. Whatever it was needed for latest competition.
Thanks ivgalvez, as far as i am aware this is all we need to supply (unless anyone who looked after it last year can think of something else?). Unfortunately the final list won't be available until after X-Fade leaves for his vacation but it will be waiting for him on his return, could you find out if that will be acceptable to him in Friday's meeting and if we're still good to proceed?

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
@Thesis & FOSS
From my experience (Bachelors thesis & now Masters thesis on Faculty of Informatics Masaryk University) I was actively encouraged to do everything FOSS. Actually, it was required for the bachelors thesis ("compare current FOSS navigation systems, choose one and improve it").

Furthermore, all theses are available online in full, not only the written part [example] but also any source materials [example] (source code, documentation, images).
Hmm I see.. when i did my MSc there was something I had to consent to about allowing the university to make commercial projects from my disseration work. I can't remember the exact wording, but i remember thinking I'd be rather miffed if they made money from my work and I didn't get a share of the pie. Luckilly I solved any chance of being miffed by not being very good

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-04 at 11:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
For folks (especially beginners) who are uploading their Maemo5 applications to the mameo.org repositories today, titilambert has reported a possible problem with the builder at this time http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86572. It won't affect any builds you are making locally, only if you are using the maemo.org repository auto-builder. So if that's in your plans please keep an eye on the thread so you're not caught out

It shouldn't take long to fix so hopefully it won't affect anyone taking part in the competition before Sunday's deadline. However, it's not necessary for your application to be on the maemo.org repository to take part in the competition (though it's nice - you get virtual brownie points*) - so even if it's still broken by then you can host your deb somewhere and upload it to the repository later.

* virtual brownie points not redeemable for prizes
I have already sent a message to X-Fade about it.
Thanks ivgalvez, as far as i am aware this is all we need to supply (unless anyone who looked after it last year can think of something else?). Unfortunately the final list won't be available until after X-Fade leaves for his vacation but it will be waiting for him on his return, could you find out if that will be acceptable to him in Friday's meeting and if we're still good to proceed?
I'll ask him about it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
An update on registered participants and submitted applications:

Desktop, System, and Utilities: 24 (7)
Games, Graphics, and Multimedia: 27 (5)
Location & Navigation: 7 (0)
Network & Communications: 19 (4)
Other: 13 (3)
Updates on existing apps: 15 (6)

105 registered applications with categories on the wiki page, but only 25 submitted entries so far. At the moment we wouldnt need a vote - hopefully we get a last week flood of submissions

I'm worried there are a lot of folks out there who don't know they are able to submit their entries now, or who have forgotten/aren't aware of the deadline. If you know someone (any of these guys) in that situation please nudge them towards the submission form. Also, if you've seen any applications recently announced that you like please remind them to take part. Hopefully we can boost these numbers up a bit

Edit: Added same update to the maemo.org 'Applications' thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=17) and the MeeGo forum (http://forum.meego.com/showpost.php?p=41629&postcount=2). Thing of spamming the Community mailing list.

Edit2: ps I'm gonna start spamming people's inboxes until they submit applications (no shame )

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-04 at 11:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
An update on registered participants and submitted applications:

Desktop, System, and Utilities: 24 (7)
Games, Graphics, and Multimedia: 27 (5)
Location & Navigation: 7 (0)
Network & Communications: 19 (4)
Other: 13 (3)
Updates on existing apps: 15 (6)

105 registered applications with categories on the wiki page, but only 25 submitted entries so far. At the moment we wouldnt need a vote - hopefully we get a last week flood of submissions

I'm worried there are a lot of folks out there who don't know they are able to submit their entries now, or who have forgotten/aren't aware of the deadline. If you know someone (any of these guys) in that situation please nudge them towards the submission form. Also, if you've seen any applications recently announced that you like please remind them to take part. Hopefully we can boost these numbers up a bit

Edit: Added same update to the maemo.org 'Applications' thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=17) and the MeeGo forum (http://forum.meego.com/showpost.php?p=41629&postcount=2). Thing of spamming the Community mailing list.

Edit2: ps I'm gonna start spamming people's inboxes until they submit applications (no shame )
Funny... I have just entered the virtransim. Where can the list of entries be found? Will it be shown only later, when the voting starts?
Thank you. Since it is hardly possible to repair the flex cable of N900 within one week, don't expect me to be adding any more entries, even simply porting applications from Debian.
Any information on keyboard shortcuts for screen-less navigation is welcome.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Funny... I have just entered the virtransim. Where can the list of entries be found? Will it be shown only later, when the voting starts?
Thanks Wikiwide, got your submission Could you check your second screenshot for me, in my email it shows as 0kb and nothing is there. Is it possible it was too large for the form to email? Please take a look and submit again or email the competition email address and I'll make sure it's included in your entry

If you have a look at the 'Participants' table on the wiki, the column furthest to the right is 'Entry Received?'. I add a YES in there once i see the submission has come through. It's so each developer knows I've received their submission ok, and these make up the list of entries so far.

I haven't actually posted anyone's submission anywhere as yet as perhaps it wouldn't be fair for others to see them until after the submission deadline has passed. Though there will be time to update these later anyway.

Since it is hardly possible to repair the flex cable of N900 within one week, don't expect me to be adding any more entries, even simply porting applications from Debian.

Any information on keyboard shortcuts for screen-less navigation is welcome.
I was just reading your pm about this. Hopefully you will be able to find a TV to try the TV-out with (or go run around your neighbours houses ) Don't worry about posting more entries, we're very happy with virtransim It might be better to create a new thread for your hardware problems as there's more chance someone will come across yoru situation and help you (rather than being buried in here ) Emailing one of the mailing lists might also be a good idea too.

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-04 at 12:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
My submission is in!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piggz For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas