Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
Yes, the real split should be, where the green line is, not where the red line is... otherwise the design does not really make sense.
Please consider the fact that these images are NOT the real device & the other half.
The images are raytraced CGI, an "artist's view" of the device

Do not expect the minuscule details to be exactlu right here...

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
I also already pointed to this plain surface under 'the other half' but I don't think that Jolla is lying about the (boundless) possibilities of the backcover.

I think that this surface under 'the other half' is an over removable cover under which you can see the battary and card slot and other things like some contacts to the attached hardware... They never showed us the back (without the other half) exactly till now and nobody came up with the idea of asking to show the battery.
So I think you can also replace this black cover with an other one which is adjusted to specific 'other halfs'' with e.g. cavities for some contacts...

Edit:
BTW: I just reading this and don't believe anymore that Jolla considered the option of a hardware keyboard because SailfishOS is only working in portrait mode at the moment...
The portrait view but hopefully only affects the home screen and not applications, such as the video player.

The Following User Says Thank You to delmar For This Useful Post:
just thought i mention it
got my order confirmation e-mail yesterday... in my SPAM folder
not that surprising, but, well, in case you haven't received yours yet, check your SPAM

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
"The Other Half" and Jolla made it to BBC among the top 10 most read stories of today. Read by ordinary people, not geeks. Now, that's something!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22599877
That's all well & good, but they better be able to at least partly back up that massive hype they're building (assuming it lasts).

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Didn't Dillon say you were only limited by your imagination (with regards to the possibilities for the Other half)?
I think they need to release as much info as possible about the OH ASAP, including circuit diagrams, APIs, and 3D drawings of the interface with the back of the phone half. This would enable the community to design their own OHs. They could tap in to the Maker Culture and find another market to exploit.
+infinity
This is the spirit in which they constantly speak, yet they don't follow through, so far...

Originally Posted by Fawz View Post
He says it almost verbatim in this interview. He also himself mentions examples of use as a bigger flash and bigger battery, so it's not just rumour.
What puzzles me is that they focus *so much* on being able to change the colors when they apparently plan to provide a way to actually change and adapt the hardware components (und thus use cases) of your phone.
And this my grave concern too, it's all very odd....
They deserve to have until Dec at the very latest before they reveal everything, they're a tiny start-up with limited resources after all.
But if they're not going to deliver something substantial by then, well they really need to ease-off on talking up this "other half" thing.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-22 at 16:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Fawz View Post
He says it almost verbatim in this interview. He also himself mentions examples of use as a bigger flash and bigger battery, so it's not just rumour.

What puzzles me is that they focus *so much* on being able to change the colors when they apparently plan to provide a way to actually change and adapt the hardware components (und thus use cases) of your phone.
I still say people expect to much I mean just another example this in media about jackin a camera lens? Seriously? If we take a look at the lens its at the top? How on earth should that work add an extended lense at the top? Just one of many examples given that make me wonder...

Originally Posted by daehoidar View Post
I've yet to come across a demo of Android running on Sailfish. Happy to be proven wrong, but it does seem strange that such an integral part of Jolla's ecosystem does not get the attention it needs to convince users to switch.

Jolla should definitivly NOT fokus on Android support when marketing they'r OS/Phone, it will not work good anyway trust me on that.

Jolla fokus should be. Other Half, The community, QtQuick2 and HTML5. THATS the future!

If you really want Android get an Android phone.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-05-22 at 17:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
I took the 100€ pre-order package.

One thing I noticed in a FAQ at jolla.com/care, regarding The Other Half, is that:

So apparently we will have a TOH in our hands to examine it some time before phone launch.

(on the other side, for those who are not 'makers', what are they going to do with TOH without having the phone yet? Me, I'm already warming up the 3D printer )
Anyone knows is other half option works in sweden? I took the 40 onebut know I rethink.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Android is dead in a year anyway. Read my worlds. No companys leave forever. (NO I do NOT say this means Jolla takes over)
So you are are saying android dies, and nobody takes over?

So people stop using mobile devices a year from now to use old phones via cable? MikeconTROLLing...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
just thought i mention it
got my order confirmation e-mail yesterday... in my SPAM folder
not that surprising, but, well, in case you haven't received yours yet, check your SPAM
Yup, there it is... thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red