Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Ofc It is. I love speculation.
Really? We would never have noticed.

Nothing in this thread is facts as far as I see it. But I could be wrong.
You are. The facts are staring in your face. You can keep covering your eyes and pretend not to see them but that does not make you a visionary. It just makes you silly.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Really? We would never have noticed.

You are. The facts are staring in your face. You can keep covering your eyes and pretend not to see them but that does not make you a visionary. It just makes you silly.
Rather silly than say I'm right when I have no proof to back it up. Usually time reveals the facts so we just have to wait...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Which part of broken contract is escaping you? Jolla didn't pay - well, they couldn't - and yet they should be the ones selling the tablets? You're still overlooking the lack of payment by Jolla bit.

Jolla worked with this ODM, upgraded the screen, changes the USB connector. They worked together to get out the device, but when it came time to purchase from the factory what was agreed upon to be built, Jolla couldn't pay (for reasons we all know by now).

I cannot stress enough that as an owner of a company that has delivered products before, I will not allow the customer access to selling those things if they cannot pay me first. In fact, I cannot believe I'm still having to say this over and over...

No pay. No product. Broken contract to the manufacturer from the customer. No products to the customers. That's where we're at now. Plain, period.

The rest is either fluff pieces from people still holding out faith that something miraculous will happen or that for 300RMB more you can get Sailfish OS still on those tablets (found out this morning that part was not a joke, but there's no shipping off to Finland involved).

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
That stuff you keep saying makes sense if we were still in the state where Jolla is bankrupt and we're sitting here begging for our tablets. But Jolla has money, they've got enough to pay for the first lot of tablets, 540 more, and refund lots of backers. So where's your argument now?

Originally Posted by billranton View Post
At the end of the day, tablets should be for sale in the Jolla store right now, and I haven't heard a good justification for why that isn't the case.
That question is up to Jolla to answer. Had they paid for them In time or even bought them back from Taobao, they would be in their shop now. Only Jolla can answer why they did not, no one else.

That question is up to Jolla to answer. Had they paid for them In time or even bought them back from Taobao, they would be in their shop now. Only Jolla can answer why they did not, no one else.
No, the fate of the original production run is not relevant. I mean why can I not place an order for a Jolla tablet in the store right now? The official reason is that the components are no longer available, but I can buy a much older phone from them no problem.

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Depends on:
a. When did Jolla break the contract.
b. Did maybe even the manufacturer plan to scam jolla with android version all along.
c. How viable is a mass reflash anyway, taking in account stskeeps "warning" it could be difficult?
d. when where those taobao tablets actually produced?
Unconfirmed for the most part, but I'll list out in order as I've been told by the reseller:
  • October or so was the start of the decline if not final straw for the ODM.
  • Nope, these are ODM products that normally have Android on them by default. Jolla worked with the ODM to digitally sign Sailfish OS and flash them properly onto the devices.
  • This part truly scares me and the open source version(s) that might make it will not have Alien Dalvik due to licensing issues. But by the manufacturer, it's quite simple.
  • September/October

No, the fate of the original production run is not relevant. I mean why can I not place an order for a Jolla tablet in the store right now? The official reason is that the components are no longer available, but I can buy a much older phone from them no problem.
You still do not get it, do you? Jolla is bullshitting you. End of story.

That stuff you keep saying makes sense if we were still in the state where Jolla is bankrupt and we're sitting here begging for our tablets. But Jolla has money, they've got enough to pay for the first lot of tablets, 540 more, and refund lots of backers. So where's your argument now?
Those 600 or so tablets do not represent the total that were bought/liquidated to resellers. I think this stock was secured whereas more could not be.

I'll go out on a limb and state the following. Jolla isn't bankrupt now, but due to how they restructured, they're backfilling any and all creditors. The tablets being in another resellers hands means that they were "purchased" at least once from the manufacturer.

Okay... let's try this exercise. I built a doo-dad for a customer per request. For months, this customer kept saying that they'd pay me. After a while, and definitely after hearing about their financial shortcomings, I finally decide to rid myself of their requested doo-dad to a reseller that at least means I cover my costs and don't lose too much.

These doo-dads are seen online and folks are asking what happened and why can't they buy it directly from me. Well, three things would immediately come up: (1) I do not have the right to sell directly this doo-dad since it had a type of technology that requires licensing, (2) the branding on this device might incur a lawsuit since it's branded with their indicia and (3) I'd rather just be rid of the stuff and the reseller only has decided to sell to the country in which my factory is located and is not available to all.

As that manufacturer, I waited months with no communication and more importantly, no payment. I'd rather have the space and do my best to not lose any money than sit on top of inventory that might never sell.

As it stands, you lot are stating that you, as the manufacturer, would have done something different. I do not see what all you could have done. Hold off on an empty promise that Jolla might have money forthcoming? They neglected their bills for months, then went silent for months only to have a partial announcement come out and it looked gloomy. Sell the ****, I say.

It's no argument. It's an inconvenient truth. The factory had to sell or risk making a loss due to some customer's business not doing as well as I'd require (read: pay their bill).

I seriously have to doubt how many people have ever run a business if this is still an arguable point. Something was made, they didn't get paid, they cut their losses, customers are left out in the dark without a product. Clear cut to me.

You still do not get it, do you? Jolla is bullshitting you. End of story.
Oh grow up.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund