Active Topics

so guys, I'm on CSSU stable right now. Is it possible to "update" to testing somehow?

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
I have seen a post about someone who succesfully updated to testing,

It was something about enabling the testing repo and disable the stable repo, then do an "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade". You might search this thread first as I was always on testing so I don't speak from experience...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 125 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by Acidspunk View Post
so guys, I'm on CSSU stable right now. Is it possible to "update" to testing somehow?
Disable the stable repo, then add the testing repo, after that (as root)
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install mp-fremantle-community-pr
dsmetool -b
If you have extras-devel enabled I would stay away of from running apt-get upgrade

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to merlin1991 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by merlin1991 View Post

If you have extras-devel enabled I would stay away of from running apt-get upgrade
Agreed. A nice trick: apt-get and FAM use a different mechanism to choose which repositories are active. You can leave devel active on apt-get and disabled on FAM, and then use FAM to check for new non-devel updates. Also, if you have CSSU installed, be sure that it's activated in FAM as well, since by default it doesn't always activate new repositories as their added to apt-get/HAM.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
---

From a technical point of view, backupmenu is used for months, and can be considered rock-stable. No matter is user is doing backups or not, it allows USB networking and SSH access, which allow to fix most problems, from noob-grade mistakes, to developers experiments.

Also, RobbieThe1st has lately become active and (slowly) working on it again, so it's not "abandoned" code. The only problem I can see so far, is making it compatible, no matter is one is using multiboot, or not (up to date, two exclusive versions exist - upstream "no backupmenu", and slightly modified one, that loads from BM). I'm pretty sure, that this can be solved by less or more ugly dependency checking, or something like that.
---

Most important thing - what CSSU devs and trusted testers/users think about it?

/Estel
If BM finally has proper implemention in BootMenu and/or Multiboot I am OK with it. Now BM uses some kind of strange bootmenu.

Besides that, isn't it possible to port backupmenu's functions easily to a shell script and then run it from Pali's recovery console(framebuffer). That's the way I would like to see it. However I won't complain or whine about it, as I lack the proper skills to do it myself. I don't think it's fair to demand everything while I can't offer much in return...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Dubai , United Arab Emirates
Sorry guys , n00b question here ,
How do I enable HD and DVD resolutions in the Camera ?
I'm on the latest version of CSSU testing btw

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
If BM finally has proper implemention in BootMenu and/or Multiboot I am OK with it. Now BM uses some kind of strange bootmenu.

Besides that, isn't it possible to port backupmenu's functions easily to a shell script and then run it from Pali's recovery console(framebuffer). That's the way I would like to see it. However I won't complain or whine about it, as I lack the proper skills to do it myself. I don't think it's fair to demand everything while I can't offer much in return...
^ This. (U-Boot / BootMenu)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Considering, that there is backupmenu version working from multiboot, and multiboot can be loaded from U-Boot...

Remember, that backupmenu loaded from multiboot *doesn't* write anything, so no NAND wear using this approach. Well, AFAIK (don't quote me on that, though), multiboot loaded from U-Boot also doesn't write anything to NAND - only operates in memory.

/Estel

// Edit

As for re-implementing backupmenu in proper scripting, as we have framebuffer output now - I'm all for it, yet, I have no idea who would sit and do work As with backupmenu in it's current (or, requiring only small modification), we already have working and rock-stable version.

I would also love to hear what most active CSSU devs thing about it (of course it doesn't mean, that other people should stop writing).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ portugal
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Agreed. A nice trick: apt-get and FAM use a different mechanism to choose which repositories are active. You can leave devel active on apt-get and disabled on FAM, and then use FAM to check for new non-devel updates. Also, if you have CSSU installed, be sure that it's activated in FAM as well, since by default it doesn't always activate new repositories as their added to apt-get/HAM.
how do tou configure the repositorys for apt-get?tks

Originally Posted by ed_boner View Post
how do tou configure the repositorys for apt-get?tks
Doesn't it just use the same repos you have in HAM?

The Following User Says Thank You to Acidspunk For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu testing