Active Topics

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Peter Schneider is preparing the marketing campaign for the Harmattan device (if he currently is not in his wooden cottage at a nice finnish lake).
Samsung: they're in talks with Intel (for Smartphones).

For Netbooks and Tablets:

Mit der Ankündigung, dass Acer, Asus, Samsung und Lenovo noch im Laufe des zweiten Halbjahres 2011 neue MeeGo-basierte Netbooks und Tablets ausliefern, eröffnet sich zudem ein neuer attraktiver Absatzmarkt für mobile Anwendungen.
Google translation:

With the announcement that Acer, Asus, Samsung and Lenovo still deliver in the second half of 2011 new MeeGo-based Netbooks & Tablet PCs, also opens up a new attractive market for mobile applications.
http://newsroom.intel.com/community/...verf%C3%BCgbar

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-06-09 at 10:30.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Samsung: let's try everything and stick to those that sells

The Following User Says Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
I love that I always have 10-15 pages of banter on this thread to read through ever morning

Really looking forward to the N9/N950 after the earlier disappointment of Nokia's move to abandon MeeGo and possibly scrapping the N9/N950. Was even planning to get another N900 as a backup if my current N900 died on me!!!

I do have to say though, that the specs listed in this thread range from believable to downright ridiculous!!! Still fun to look at, but I'll be keeping my hopes in check; as long as the hardware in general is comparable to whatever is in the market at the time I'll be pretty pleased. The N900 on release (and by the time it was actually available) was by no means a powerhouse, but it's still lasted me a good 1.5 years now to become the phone I've used for the longest period of time ever.

My largest concern at this time is (assuming the rumors on the lack of hardware keyboard are true) how good the rumored software keyboard is even with the "rumored" haptics/Nokia Haptikos tactile feedback.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biatch0 For This Useful Post:
Samsung: they're in talks with Intel (for Smartphones).
If wp7 fails, samsung needs another alternative to android.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
If wp7 fails, samsung needs another alternative to android.
Correct expression: When wp7 fails, samsung needs another alternative to android

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to larux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by sunwong View Post
IF this N9 really is so groundbreaking, and also IF it gets a wide adoption (by wide, I only mean that all manufactured units, be them low or even lower are quickly sold), then MAYBE the board will reconsidering the current strategy and position WP7 as "another" platform instead of "THE" platform upon which to produce their handsets...
Yes, if you enjoy paranoid worrying: what does Elop have to gain by releasing a Harmattan device?
  • If the Harmattan device is wildly successful, if the tech press are inclined to be gracious to it due to the doom and gloom surrounding the poor thing, then Elop and the Windows Phone strategy might be questioned.
  • If the Harmattan device goes unnoticed by the world at large, as the Fremantle lead device did, then what's to gain? It won't go anywhere toward helping keeping Nokia afloat until those Windows Phone devices start heading out the doors.
  • If the Harmattan device is a flop, a flop now, while the world's press seems hungry for more and more news that casts doubt on Nokia's (and Elop's) future, then Nokia's board may question Elop and his leadership ability.
Have a nice day.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by larux View Post
Correct expression: When wp7 fails, samsung needs another alternative to android
I think Samsung are working on it, SLP.

Rich

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
about paranoid worriyng:
Meego was never meant (and won't be able for some years) to provide a correct portfolio for Nokia. The fact that this device is good or not cannot change the issue with Symbian, which is waaay more important for Nokia than maemo/meego is. So there won't be any rethinking of the strategy.
=> Nokia needs WP7, no matter how successfull the Meego device will be.

Nokia pays for WP7, and share WP7 with other manufacturers. It needs options to weight against Microsoft, otherwise it will cost them a lot more.
=> Nokia needs Meego, no matter how unsuccessfull the Meego device will be.

Just don't expect Meego neither to disapear, nor to become uber important in the next years or so. But I think this has already been discussed a lot.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by larux View Post
When wp7 fails microsoft will shell more money and bring you WP8 or bingPhone or whatever. It has failed more times than the version number implies and yet they change the name and try again:

1. Windows CE --> FAIL
2. Windows for Pocket PC --> FAIL
3. Windows for Pocket PC 2002 --> BIGFAIL
4. Windows Mobile 2003 --> SOSO
5. Windows Mobile 2003SE -->it was soso thus we keep the name
6. Windows Mobile 5 --> Let's change the version numbering (and nothing else) BIGFAIL
7. Windows Mobile 6 --> change theme
8. Windows Mobile 6.5 --> ULTRAFAIL
9. Kin --> MONSTERFAIL
10. Windows Phone 7 --> we want to take down others with us ?? I feel they will not fail miserably this time but we'll see

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by nikrohr View Post

Now check out this
http://research.nokia.com/biblio

Conference
Material Choices For Electro-tactile Haptic Interfaces
MRS Spring Meeting 2011
Paul Beecher; Zoran Radivojevic; Piers Andrew; Chris Bower; Samiul Haque; Darryl Cotton
Abstract: We present a robust, thin and optically transparent interface structure that can be overlaid unobtrusively on top of a display screen. This structure acts as an electrotactile system that directly delivers localized and visually correlated tactile information to the user’s skin, enabling graphic tactile feedback. The device structure operates at very low current level (< 10µA) and with potentials in the range of tens of volts, which is a significant improvement on current electrotactile paradigms. The proposed structure doubles as an input and output device in assisting the user interaction with a touch screen display. The technology is based on electrovibration, in which touch receptors in the skin can be deceived into perceiving texture when a fingertip is swiped across an insulating layer above a metal surface carrying an alternating potential. This effect is due to the varying electrostatic attraction between the conductor and the deeper, liquid-rich conducting layers of the skin – an effect which changes the perceived dynamic friction. Complex stimulation patterns, involving the mixing of multiple AC frequency components (10Hz – 500Hz) and the actuation of several electrodes simultaneously, may allow for the generation of an unprecedented range of “haptic illusions”. These may range from the emulation of real touch sensations, to completely new patterns of tactile feedback, and new ways of interacting with electronic devices. This solution also overcomes the need for the physical displacement of mechanical parts and is therefore several orders-of-magnitude more energetically efficient in providing real time feedback to the user. Our work tackles the expected evolution of mobile devices and displays towards flexible and compliant form factors. Our concept implementation is based on the use of novel nanomaterials and structures that are compatible with the requirements for these new technologies. Conductors that are simultaneously flexible, conductive and transparent have been investigated, ranging from wide-bandgap oxide materials to carbon nanostructures, e.g., carbon nanotube networks and graphene, and also include silver nanowire networks and thin metal grids. These conductors can all be deposited on flexible substrates, and uniformly coated with appropriate dielectric materials. Much focus has been on high-k amorphous oxide materials such as hafnia, but, barium titanate and parylene have also been used. The exploration of an extensive materials library necessitates use of a number different fabrication techniques including sputtering, vacuum deposition, and various solution methods and printing techniques. In addition, the inclusion of scratch resistant, hydrophobic and oleophobic materials on the top surface to combine electrical insulation, scratch resistance and stain/water/fingerprint repellence in a single finishing layer helps maintain and protect a pristine display surface.
That's in this Engadget piece. Nokia's nanotech research units have been working on it for a while.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/28/a...enter-cambrid/

Look under 'Eletrostatic tactile surface' in that Engadget article.

Nokia Reseach Center in Beijing made some kind of working version with hardware hacked N900, but I don't know if it's ready for commercial use. At least it didn't support haptic feedback for multi- touch yet.

Finnish startup called Senseg has developed similar technology and at least Toshiba has already licensed it.Toshiba also demoed a smartphone prototype that used it. There was also rumour last year that Apple would license Senseg's solution for iPhone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland