Active Topics

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Don't feed the troll, ggabriel.

That's all I have to say

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Define "support" - if money, do you have any source saying that Jolla is giving them money? if selling SFOS licenses, I don't think that Jolla should deny them from that right - if anything, they should be happy they're selling. I am making a massive effort to avoid making a parallel with real life on the latter by the way.
Really? Just because you're happy Jolla are getting money in, you don't mind where it's coming from?

There's serious concern from many regarding some of Jolla's business partners including Turing. They may not have the option to be choosy but they have to be careful they don't suffer damage to their reputation, such as it now is, by association.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Honestly, I hope this comes out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
They may not have the option to be choosy but they have to be careful they don't suffer damage to their reputation, such as it now is, by association.
Damage by association is a serious threat. Which is why Jolla is treading carefully and not talking about Turing too much. I am with ggabriel on this, I see very little support for Turing by Jolla.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
So, "support" hasn't been defined yet.

Damage by association is something that you can't estimate - tell me how many failed Android devices have damaged Google by association - there are some failed crowd funded projects out there and where is the glass again?

OTOH, it's valuable for Jolla to be considering/analysing/developing for new use cases. Each partner, successful or not, will bring knowledge and features to SFOS.

I wouldn't say "no" if due diligence is being done. That said, I didn't get a Turing phone but I'll be interested if they make it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Damage by association is something that you can't estimate - tell me how many failed Android devices have damaged Google by association - there are some failed crowd funded projects out there and where is the glass again?
Not taking "sides", but damaging a behemoth like Google is NOTHING like damaging an already damaged little (sail)fish like Jolla. It doesn't take much to make something with a not great reputation look worse.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
And now for something completely different, a (breathlessly) positive take on the Turing phone :

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2016/0...e-and-kicking/

For some reason, the term ninjas appears in the article. Honestly not sure if author is serious...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
They keep delaying it so I will believe it when I see it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Another online article. This one claims ro have interviewed Steve Chao, but never actuall.quotes him . . .

Anyway, the link:
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile...specs-hardware

BTW, on a personal.note I'd love to see something good come of this product. But even if total.vaporware, I.still learned the word 'Wyvern'*. And they say learning is never wasted.

*Although I'm several kinds of nerd, I'm not a heraldry nerd. Everything I.know about the subject.comes from the novel.'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' and the movie of the same name.

Last edited by robthebold; 2016-07-01 at 19:18.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
What I am wondering is if the SailfishOS they are running will have more advanced security features than the Jolla. For example, an encrypted file system, or some track-and-protect feature.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone