Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by louispires View Post
Ok i have had my device overclocked for a few weeks now, and i know that i cant apdate applications while the power kernel is installed. So i followed all the steps for uninstalling and have the stock Nokia one back now. But i still cant seem to get any updates through any app manager.

When will the kernel be able to overclock the cpu and also be able to get simple updates through app manager??
This has nothing with the power kernel to do. You have probably installed another program from devel that makes the conflict.

Originally Posted by louispires View Post
Ok i have had my device overclocked for a few weeks now, and i know that i cant apdate applications while the power kernel is installed. So i followed all the steps for uninstalling and have the stock Nokia one back now. But i still cant seem to get any updates through any app manager.

When will the kernel be able to overclock the cpu and also be able to get simple updates through app manager??
You can update applications,
you cant update kernel if one will be availible which would happen about once/twice a year.. and nothing looks there will be update soon, so no problem there.

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Due to many requests, here are all the Queen Beecon Widget exports that I use as seen below:
(I have zipped up each widget's export output as a txt file)

http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...1&d=1274397770

INSTALL STEPS

0. Download the attachment posted at beginning of that post and extract its contents. Then copy the TXT files into any folder in N900. (just create a folder called 'Beecon Exports' or something)
1. Install rootsh (latest version will do)
2. Install QBW (latest version is 1.9.7 or something)
3. Create a new QBW widget on the desktop
4. Go to settings of that widget (tool icon)
5. click advanced
6. click yes
7. scroll way down
8. click Import File to Buffer
9. Select the txt file you want to enable (eg. stock)
10. click Import Buffer to Beecon
11. done. now exit out and click Save.
12. Now go back to settings of that widget called STOCK
13. click Edit Cmd
14. replace "rootsh" with "sudo" then click save.
15. click save
16. Now you have a STOCK widget.

Do the same for ideal.txt and ideal_1000
Do the same up to step 11 for other non OC widgets

You can edit the cmd for ideal and ideal_1000 once they are created to suit your needs or loading your own profiles as per steps 12-13.
How do I edit the command or beecon for stock? I have pressed the stock beecon and it still remains at 1000mhz frequency. Presumably because my stock frequency is set to 1000mhz rather than 500mhz.

Also how do I add a new beecon for a frequency other than default, e.g 850mhz?

Obviously these questions must have been answered in this thread already but you will appreciate my inability to go through 400 pages of posts searching for the answer.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
How do I edit the command or beecon for stock?
In x-term type
Code:
sudo gainroot
leafpad /home/user/.kernel/"whatever the filename is, probably STOCK"
Then change the MAXFREQ entry.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Also how do I add a new beecon for a frequency other than default, e.g 850mhz?
First load a profile you are comfortable with, e.g LV, ULV, XLV or Ideal. We'll use LV in this case, In x-term type:

Code:
sudo gainroot
kernel-config load lv
Then set the min and max frequency to what you want:
Code:
kernel-config limits 250 850
Then you can save the profile with whatever name you choose, in this case we'll use 850max
Code:
kernel-config save 850max

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sash For This Useful Post:
I overclocked my N900 to 850MHz ... It has undoubtedly become faster .. opened openoffice in 2 mins ...
I did not find any issue yet like heating ... battery is always an issue with N900 and hence I prefer to keet it charged always ...

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Oakbrook, IL (West of Chi-Town!)
I used the method described at..

http://scratching.psybermonkey.net/2...sor-speed.html

Problem is when I turn the phone OFF and back ON, the bump in MHz is back to 600? So does this NOT stay as the setting when I reboot? I went back into the Shell and executed the command to bump it back up, but hell I don't want to have to do this every time I reboot my phone. But if that's the case, any help, or is it possible, to write script to execute the shell command on boot up to set the over clock speed? THANKS!

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
That method looks overly complicated.
I just used this guide on the wiki.
I seem to have very nicely overclocking unit as it runs at 1150mhz with the "ideal" settings. For that i just made copy of the ideal settings file and changed the max clocks to 1150. Then set that file as the default one to load at boot (kernel-config default idealmax).

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Oakbrook, IL (West of Chi-Town!)
Well it already is installed and works, I just need a way to run a script at bootup to initiate the command instead of me having to go into the Terminal and retype it. Perhaps a shortcut I can click? Something to that effect. Also any way anyone knows to CUT and PASTE into Terminal from another area/program, is that possible? Kind of new to this phone and hacking into it like this, so please forgive me if some of theses questions are "DAAAAAA" answer for some of you. But that would mean I"m at the right place to ask the questions..

Thanks!

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom
@gorilla72...

Code:
kernel-config setdefault ideal
gives you ideal profile everytime phone starts. just change ideal to lv , xlv etc to use your profile.

to revert to default(stock profile 250-600mhz) on boot just change ideal to
Code:
kernel-config setdefault default

Originally Posted by moepda View Post
@gorilla72...

Code:
kernel-config setdefault ideal
gives you ideal profile everytime phone starts. just change ideal to lv , xlv etc to use your profile.

to revert to default(stock profile 250-600mhz) on boot just change ideal to
Code:
kernel-config setdefault default
Ok, help out the Noob here. Right now when I boot up I have to type in...

echo 900000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq | echo ""

This overclocks to 900 Mhz (sometimes I do 1Ghz, but you get the idea). So how do I translate this to what you are talking about to run "ideal". Are you saying 'ideal = 900000', to use the above example?

And thanks for the help by the way, appreciate it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gorilla72 For This Useful Post:

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom