Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
On phone orientation: to me, using the phone in horizontal mode means 2 things:

1. It's harder to hold securely with 1 hand because it will be off-balanced. The heavy and thick design doesn't help here.
2. You won't be able to reach the full screen with 1 thumb like you can in vertical mode.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Melbourne
@ john, but think about this situation, sometimes people need to use their phone on one hand while holding the other things, browsing with one hand, texting with one hand (like the N97 with T9), and do some application with one hand. if somehow the device can have flexibility i think it will be better.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Who said it was ignored? I just got done telling you that the issue is that the Linux kernel *could not do it* until extremely recently and that there's a chance it will be added in the future.

And by the way, this is definitely NOT the phone to buy if you're not planning on having a data plan.
Not just speaking yourself but also your friends using any phone.
Try to share a picture with them?
They can get MMS instantly but without MMS, they have to go home to check email or the website.
I think N900 is losing what Nokia said "Connecting People"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mcdull For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Something should be noted, and only because I think a lot of the expectations and assumptions of this device are being made on the basis of the semantcs of words and previous tech, not necesarly what the device (N900) has promised.

The N900 is being pitched as a mobile computer that does some telephony tasks.

Its foundations aren't in being a mobile phone, its in being a tablet-computer with constant wireless connectivity streams. Everything from how the user interface is built, to how you are being asked to interact with applications comes from this frame-of-use.

Though there are telephony UX elements here, they have been designed first aronud that idea of a mobile computer, and then refined to work best in the mindset of a phone user. Its not really an issue about the UI being smart, its about designing an applicaiton for this device around the task that works best - and with a phone, you think of it in portrait, not landscape use. This is smarter us of UI, before asking technologies like an accelerometer to be put in.

In this view, I would say that all who are asking for telephon-like functionality ask if its really the N900 that they are looking for. Not to say that Nokia wouldn't want your money, but both you and them would be better served to use a device that better fits your methodology of communication, than revolting that a device that's not designed for you be adapted to you.

FYI: The N97 is pitched as a smarter-than-normal-smartphone that does some mobile computing tasks. For what many of you are asking for, this fits the bill for a device - whether you like Symbian or not is another story.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
On phone orientation: to me, using the phone in horizontal mode means 2 things:

1. It's harder to hold securely with 1 hand because it will be off-balanced. The heavy and thick design doesn't help here.
2. You won't be able to reach the full screen with 1 thumb like you can in vertical mode.
Maybe I just have big hands ... but I don't have a problem with those things when holding my G1 in landscape mode. I don't expect I'll have that problem with the N900, either (given that it's about the same size).

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Maybe I just have big hands ... but I don't have a problem with those things when holding my G1 in landscape mode. I don't expect I'll have that problem with the N900, either (given that it's about the same size).
Yes, the G1 is easier to hold because of the 'handle' (on the right side when in landscape mode). I used the iPhone as reference because it's more similar to the N900 (same screen size and without 'handles' around the frame)..

I don't know of any smartphones that don't work in portrait orientation. IMHO it'd be best for Nokia to handle this by managing the consumer's expectation or addressing this in the product so it aligns more with the general expectation..

Btw, my hands aren't that small either

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Espoo888 View Post
I know, you're right - I already apologised and happily do so again. Sorry.
Thanks to you as well.

Some advice for the future: if ever a backlash leads you to contrition, go back and edit the offending post to place your apology there. That will help ward off future fire.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You're a marketing guy, so you probably figure that using feminine pronouns is a really good way to not offend anybody (it's not as awkward as "he or she" and it's not offensive like "he"--it's perfect!), but the truth is that most native English speakers don't appreciate either strategy (and some find it rather obnoxious). If you need to use a generic pronoun use "they" or "their".
Or one.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Yes, the G1 is easier to hold because of the 'handle' (on the right side when in landscape mode). I used the iPhone as reference because it's more similar to the N900 (same screen size and without 'handles' around the frame)..
The "chin" has nothing to do with it.

I can hold the G1 in the curl of my fingers. Lay the phone across you fingers. Flex your fingers so that the sides of the phone are firmly held by your finger tips and the pad of your palm that is at the base of your fingers. Easy easy (though, the problem with doing this on the N900 wont be its size, it will be the fact that its surface is probably going to be smooth, like other Nokia devices... instead of having a rubberized surface like the G1).

It's secure, and leaves my thumb free to access the entire screen. If I'm holding the phone one handed, that's how I told it. Portrait vs landscape is the same (in terms of how I hold the phone one handed). The only difference, there, is a twist of the wrist.

I only hold "the handle"/chin if I'm using the phone two handed.

Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Yes, having MMS on a feature phone is important, but the N900 isn't a feature phone with limited resources. . We prioritized our resources to have brilliant multitasking of the frequent use cases. You can share photos easily to the Internet or by email. Implementing MMS would have meant dragging the ancient WAP 1.2.1 standard used for the push notificatiom to a modern computer OS in times when our target audience wants to share high quality images to Flickr, Facebook, Picasa, Ovi and so on. MMS receipt would maybe gotten us far enough, so others can send her photo to you, but we decided to put our R&D into other areas. I hope consumers will forgive us for the time being.
Good thing I checked this thread again.. Some good info here.

Thanks for taking the time to clear that up Peter.

Tags
fremantle, maemo, n900