Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Leuven/Belgium
Meizu's Ubuntu runs like a normal device, videos show..

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by napaDokc View Post
Meizu's Ubuntu runs like a normal device, videos show..
Yes, both Meizu and Jolla phone are normal devices.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Probably because of opinions like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Jolla/comme...urvive/czux10g
Opening something simple like the system settings takes a noticably long time
I have no experience with UT (experiences reported by other people here were enough to put me off) but the above applies to my Jolla just as well

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Ubuntu is a bit slow, but so is Jolla.
No idea what you're on about, in terms of fluid UI jolla is up there on par with WP (not sure on iOs as only used ipadv2 on latest update and it was not smooth, far from it, apple store loading time >> warehouse updating repos and UI freezing to top that, similar when warehouse updates an app), android was the worst hands down, then again my father installed the kitchen sink there, so might be better in normal use conditions. Native apps + UI multitasking, WP is far behind, try switching back to the app you just used, on jolla instant, on wp seconds of reloading if it even takes you back to where you were, hardly ever (on 920 so not budget device)

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I have no experience with UT (experiences reported by other people here were enough to put me off) but the above applies to my Jolla just as well
With quickditt, webcat, network switcher and email open, opening settings still takes ~1 second for me, have few tweaks around oom, but doubt this would cause much difference. Or are you 'make'ing huge project in the background?

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
With quickditt, webcat, network switcher and email open, opening settings still takes ~1 second for me, have few tweaks around oom, but doubt this would cause much difference. Or are you 'make'ing huge project in the background?
I just checked with a stopwatch, to make sure I am not making it up.
With nothing running at all, opening Settings takes on my Jolla...
  • ~2 seconds from app launcher
  • ~4 seconds from a shortcut in events view

I just checked with a stopwatch, to make sure I am not making it up.
With nothing running at all, opening Settings takes on my Jolla...
  • ~2 seconds from app launcher
  • ~4 seconds from a shortcut in events view
Without stopwatch (and tweetian running on top from last setup) still ~1 second, weird

edit: seems to be a threshold when swapping kicks in, adding extra apps had no impact on speed, until ytplayer, calculator, notepad, nethoggs and network monitor were opened, went down to 3 seconds, still better than UT with 5 seconds opening on fresh system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9PawCz_UjU

Last edited by szopin; 2016-02-16 at 22:19.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Szopin, Pichlo, what version of the OS are you running? That might introduce a slight difference.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Szopin, Pichlo, what version of the OS are you running? That might introduce a slight difference.

It is possible that I round 1.5 seconds up to 2 whilst szopin down to 1.
It is also possible that our expectations differ. As far as I am concerned, even one second is a "noticeable delay". I remember my Palm 12 years ago, with a 6x slower CPU and 100x less RAM that started applications instantly. I do not compare my Jolla to some mythical CrapPhone that may be even slower, I compare it to a 12 years old piece of kit that was faster.

It is possible that I round 1.5 seconds up to 2 whilst szopin down to 1.
It is also possible that our expectations differ. As far as I am concerned, even one second is a "noticeable delay". I remember my Palm 12 years ago, with a 6x slower CPU and 100x less RAM that started applications instantly. I do not compare my Jolla to some mythical CrapPhone that may be even slower, I compare it to a 12 years old piece of kit that was faster.
Yeah, CASIO switches in an instant, but when we're talking >64kb devices like jolla or galaxy or iphone boot times grow naturally and complexity, no idea if any android apps are written in assembly arm 64, they can shave some kb there

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund