Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by kulas View Post
good for you gabs! ideal doesn't work well with me.. it reboots whenever i watch movie or stream a video..
yo! when i watch movies (files in mass or memory card storage)i revert back to stock, coz some movies i play jumps or gives me a reboot when being played (titan and others explained that this is because of extra low voltage).

streaming vidz (like youtube) does not do any negative for me (except for starving setting).

I am aware that not all CPU's are the same and what works for 1 may work for others (vise versa) but i suggest that you de-install (the wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking way) Enhance Linux Kernel and re-install it.

or......i suspect that you have smart-reflex activated (by setting VDD1 and VDD2 to 1) this gives me 3 reboots in a day.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
or......i suspect that you have smart-reflex activated (by setting VDD1 and VDD2 to 1) this gives me 3 reboots in a day.
Enabeling it gives me an immediate reboot. As does loading the starving configuration. Since the saveings are very very minimal - we are talking of minutes - loading a slightly higher rated profile might make things better.

The Following User Says Thank You to schaggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
yo! when i watch movies (files in mass or memory card storage)i revert back to stock, coz some movies i play jumps or gives me a reboot when being played (titan and others explained that this is because of extra low voltage).
EDIT: sorry, the reboot was a problem on my memory card videos. it makes my kmplayer lag and then my n900 freezes and reboots. after a reboot, expectedly, a "warning: an unexpected reboot occured. your custom setting were not loaded" banner appeared, and guess what, another banner saying "memory card corrupted. connect device into pc for a fix"

after fixing, i played videos again via ideal settings and no more jumps, lags and/or reboots.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

*sigh*.
You really ought to calibrate each speed/voltage pair for your own device. Find each optimum setting by playing a short video, then lowering the voltage, playing it again until it crashes. Once it crashes, up the voltage by 2, save that pair, then go to the next speed.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by titan View Post
max should be 250. everything >250 is interpreted as the next frequency, i.e. 500.
but 125 doesn't make sense, IMHO. Idle = 0MHz @ 0V.
There was a typing mistake in my last post it was 250 instead of 256. If thats the point you want to say.

Sorry I am a noob, but i still couldn't get your point.
Why frequency goes above 250 when i set the limit from 125-250?
What will happen if decrease the voltage at 0 MHZ in your LV, ULV, XLV profile?
Why did you ignore putting 0 MHz in IDEAL setting and does that mean that in sleeping and locked state it keeps running at 500 MHZ?

Thank in advance and thanks a lot for hard work with your Kernel software...it saves a hell of my battery with my current custom profile.

Can someone restate the overclocking procedure. There are too many pages to reread and find the magic equation.

Thanks
Turd

At an xterm prompt:
1. sudo gainroot
2. cd .kernel
3. kernel-config load ideal
4. kernel-config save profile1
5. vim profile1
Press "i" to get into insert mode where you can edit, press "esc" soft key to get out of that. type ":wq" to save an exit, and ":q!" to exit -without- saving. ":q" will exit if you haven't made any changes, or alert you if you have.
6. Starting with 600mhz and working up, type(for each frequency):
a. kernel config lock *freq* *volt* *dsp*
These settings are the ones in that file I just had you edit, in the form "*freq*:*volt*,*dsp*". You want to first use the same settings you got from that file(for whatever frequency you are testing), then work your way down(more about this later).
b. "mplayer /path/to/short-video-file.avi"
You want to run some sort of heavy video file, something that taxes the N900 the whole way. I used the flv file from This music video. Even at 1150mhz, it still drops frames(its overloading the CPU).
When you play the video, one of three things will happen: 1, the N900 will crash instantly, 2, the video will have errors in it, stop entirely for a couple seconds or other issues. The console will say something about decoding errors. 3, everything will play fine.
If 1 or 2 happens, you have reached as far down as you can go. Now, take whatever volt value you had, add 2 to it, and stick that in the "profile1" file in the correct spot. after exiting the file, type "sync" to make sure it gets written to the disk. Repeat with the next frequency.
If 3 happens, go back to the kernel-config lock line, and subtract 1 from the voltage number you used, then try again.

Once you are done with all frequencies(aside from 0mhz), type "kernel-config load profile1" to load it. After you are sure its stable, you can type "kernel-config default profile1", but be warned that I've had poor luck getting boot videos to play correctly, even though everything else does.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Thanks so much for providing this. All I want to do is take my N900 to 850 mhz just to give it a boost. I am not interested in making it BEAST. Do you have the settings for more of a safer 850 mhz profile.

Thanks

Originally Posted by turd furgasen View Post
Thanks so much for providing this. All I want to do is take my N900 to 850 mhz just to give it a boost. I am not interested in making it BEAST. Do you have the settings for more of a safer 850 mhz profile.

Thanks
Well, then set the max frequency to 850mhz, and "calibrate" your settings with the above instructions.

OCing is a very personal thing. Its not really a "one size fits all" type of thing, where you can just take someone's settings and have them work for you.
Each N900 is a little different, and what each will run stabily at will change. You have to use the instructions above to make it work right, or else you may end up like gabby131:
This is simply caused because the profile chosen was -not- right for this poster's N900. You need to find your own custom settings; its not a big deal(it will take a good hour or so), and perfectly safe.

And remember that because everyone's N900 is different, you can't take peoples testimony ("it worked fine for me") as an indication it will work for you. It may... but it also may work poorly, or cause crashes.

-Rob

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by drangina View Post
There was a typing mistake in my last post it was 250 instead of 256. If thats the point you want to say.

Sorry I am a noob, but i still couldn't get your point.
Why frequency goes above 250 when i set the limit from 125-250?
What will happen if decrease the voltage at 0 MHZ in your LV, ULV, XLV profile?
Why did you ignore putting 0 MHz in IDEAL setting and does that mean that in sleeping and locked state it keeps running at 500 MHZ?

Thank in advance and thanks a lot for hard work with your Kernel software...it saves a hell of my battery with my current custom profile.
Can someone please explain my questions.

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom