Closed Thread
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Before we start proposing things blindly it would be useful to know what we are talking about. Could we ask Nemein to provide a breakdown of resources utilised per service (current as well as trends), ideally also broken down by platform? I mean things like what is the peak bandwidth requirements of repository.maemo.org, how much filesystem space it uses, how many CPU cycles the autobuilders eat and so on.
Sure, but the proposals will be at a higher, structural, level than your question suggests - should maemo.org organize itself or should it die? Also, so much is in flux at the moment that these things will be different some time from now.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Also, we really need to get a clear answer on how long the Nokia repositories will stay alive and what happens after that (eg can we have a licence to mirror them elsewhere?), because without that content we're dead and there's no point discussing anything else.
Agreed, but before we can get a license, we need to exist as some sort of legal entity. Personally, I think that Nokia would be relieved for this to happen so that it is not ever in the uncomfortable position of cutting off the repos.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
i just realized that Harmattan support is de facto here on TMO
I see far more activity related to Harmattan on forum.meego.com in the Handset forum than here on TMO. But that could just be because of the volume of the rest of the forum.

the download section for handsets (on meego.com) seems pretty outdated (and not providing any repositories?); where will those be hosted, when N9s go on sales?
apps.formeego.org. It was going to be apps.meego.com, but now that's not happening. Same people. Same software. New name.

Last edited by Jaffa; 2011-08-14 at 19:57. Reason: BBCode

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I see far more activity related to Harmattan on forum.meego.com in the Handset forum than here on TMO. But that could just be because of the volume of the rest of the forum.
I still don't know what to post there. Initially, it was to be what TMO was for Maemo.

But then the guys from there, namely Quim came down and stated that forum.meego.com was for developers mostly. So that limits conversation.

Has that changed?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I still don't know what to post there. Initially, it was to be what TMO was for Maemo.

But then the guys from there, namely Quim came down and stated that forum.meego.com was for developers mostly. So that limits conversation.

Has that changed?
did U try to run MeeGo on a N900?
1.2 CE certainly got a nice look & feel (much better then 1.1) but it still seems very skippy, to say the least
(no offence to the developers)

well, as i lost my NITDroid multiboot menu, i may actually try to install 1.2 CE again & see if / how it works when i remove encryption from my wi-fi
realized that meanwhile i don't use wi-fi for anything but the N900s & i can use the primary on 2G/3G

stay tuned for a dumb user's opinion

EDIT: oooups, maybe on a different thread

Last edited by misterc; 2011-08-14 at 20:32.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
forum.meego.com was for developers mostly. So that limits conversation.

Has that changed?
Difficult to say. Certainly random speculation and off-topicness isn't as prevalent as it is/was/ever has been on TMO. But it's definitely picked up since people started getting N950s and MeeGo Harmattan was announced.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Sure, but the proposals will be at a higher, structural, level than your question suggests - should maemo.org organize itself or should it die? Also, so much is in flux at the moment that these things will be different some time from now.
In mood for rhetorical questions, eh?

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Agreed, but before we can get a license, we need to exist as some sort of legal entity. Personally, I think that Nokia would be relieved for this to happen so that it is not ever in the uncomfortable position of cutting off the repos.
OK, but anyone from the Council asked about that *directly*? If not, can (and if yes, when) someone ask about it?

I generally understand your point, but it would be much better to *know* things, that *assuming* what Nokia may do if we do what we may do if...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
are you saying that combating noise with noise is a grown up behaviour?
No. But I am saying you consistently jump to bizarre conclusions about my posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Bump.

Please can I have an answer, or at least some feedback. The silence is deafening.

This is a serious question. If I'm being out of line asking it, please tell me. If this is the wrong place, please tell me. etc.

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
I'd like to ask a question to the council:

Why is Epitaph being allowed to promote his 'app' here on TMO, considering that he's clearly breaking the terms of the GPL?

Just one example (of many): Contained in the 'app' is the Bash binary. The GPL states that if you are going to redistribute GPL code, you must make the source of your app available.

He was hosting the app on Sourceforge, but it was removed from there - possibly due to me reporting it.

He has repeatedly refused to make the source available.

I'd like to know why maemo.org allows his thread and his signature here? By not taking any action, they appear to be condoning it.

I'm personally interested in this as it seems to go against FOSS principles, and as someone who has contributed time and effort to the open-souce world it makes me angry he gets away with it.

Thanks for listening.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
No. But I am saying you consistently jump to bizarre conclusions about my posts.
i'm not jumping to conclusions, i'm asking for clarification.
the whole post is made up of one question, isn't it?

maybe a diff too with the war mongers?
they would have jumped on your posted & started proclaiming that you actually said that bla bla bla was a grown up behaviour.

hope you can appreciate the difference...

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Please can I have an answer, or at least some feedback. The silence is deafening.
At least the big announcement thread was closed by texrat. Thanks! But what about removing the link (with a warning) from the first post and merge the whole thing with this two similar advertising threads: Number 2, Number 3

Edit: Mh, and in my opinion his signature is still dangerous.

Last edited by Helmuth; 2011-08-15 at 12:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council