Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by kulas View Post
Does anyone have tried this?
If you mean the manual deinstallation described in the link, of course, many have including me. Works fine.

If you mean doing the OTA upgrade with kernel-power still installed, again yes, many have including me. PR1.3 installed perfectly. I then did the manual deinstallation to allow reinstall of the kernel-power packages. I'm now running PR1.3 with the same power37 kernel I used before.

Since I got my N900 in Nov 2009, I've done all upgrades OTA with absolutely no problems. Nothing has been lost or changed in the process, everything stayed perfectly intact as before. My device has never been flashed and runs great, stable and fast. I doubt I'll ever need to reflash the OS as long as I use it.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
I then did the manual deinstallation to allow reinstall of the kernel-power packages. I'm now running PR1.3 with the same power37 kernel I used before.
I have not done as you say. I have OTAd to 1.3, then apt-get install --reinstall kernel-power kernel-power-flasher.

Did my modules go haywire? How can I check? I did notice smb refuses to work right, could this be it?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
My N900 has stacked at 500mhz. After pr1.3 update I installed the power kernel and after restored the stock from nokia. From then it's stacked at 500mhz either with the stock either with the power kernel. I tried echo the max and the min freq & qcpufreq to fix the limits but nothing. Any idea?

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
@ndi and @anapospastos:
As I said before, you must do the deinstallation of kernel-power as described in the link I provided before you can reinstall the kernel-power packages. Or, IOW, reinstalling the kernel-power stuff will fail unless deinstallation is done first. I can't be much clearer than that.

To check what kernel is actually running, open a terminal (no need to become root) and type:
uname -r
Hit enter. It will probably return:
2.6.28.10-omap1
...which means you are running the stock kernel. If the power37 kernel is running it will say:
2.6.28.10power37-omap1
If you want more details, use uname -rv ('v' for verbose).

And don't forget reinstall 'kernel-power settings' also or 'kernel-config' commands will not work. If you had custom profiles that you saved those will not be touched by either the RP1.3 upgrade or kernel deinstallation. So when you get the kernel-power stuff reinstalled successfully you can use them just as before.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-10-28 at 11:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
I properly reinstalled the power kernel and the kernel-power settings and my cpu usage is very high. Only conky opened and it junps between 500 and 900 Mhz all the time.
With PR 1.2 I had 250 Mhz 80 % of the time.

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
@Crashdamage

I did it with the right way but something was going wrong so I reflashed it and now it seems to work good. It' s scalling all the frequencies.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by NokiaRocks View Post
I properly reinstalled the power kernel and the kernel-power settings and my cpu usage is very high. Only conky opened and it junps between 500 and 900 Mhz all the time.
With PR 1.2 I had 250 Mhz 80 % of the time.
Does kernel-config show

show the right values?

I haven't noticed high cpu usage, but I haven't tested much.

okay now me , im getting some strange bugs.
as mentioned in a few other threads before, here my problem i hope someone can help me.

my usb port broke and i sent my phone to nokia, they replaced my devise. now with the new one and PR 1.3 and the Power40 i am not able to go any higher clock than 850Mhz. (testet power37 and PR 1.2 too, same thing)

here some details: i am using titan v40 and lv. its set to 250 850 where it runs like a charm. if i clock to 250 900 (1000) it immediately resets. still lv, it does work with 250 1100 (1150) where it crashes just randomly after a few mins.

Same with ulv and xlv where going any higher than 900 it crashes (like in the same way mentioned before)

The difference in those profiles is ideal: when typing "kernel-config load ideal" - without having changed anything in that profile before (just having the default one), it immediately crashes too. i am not able to set anything in thaht profile.

My question is, did nokia replace my phone whith a lower quality one? PLEASE Help me if u have ever experienced something like this. thx in advance

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by boxkillor View Post
okay now me , im getting some strange bugs.
as mentioned in a few other threads before, here my problem i hope someone can help me.

my usb port broke and i sent my phone to nokia, they replaced my devise. now with the new one and PR 1.3 and the Power40 i am not able to go any higher clock than 850Mhz. (testet power37 and PR 1.2 too, same thing)

here some details: i am using titan v40 and lv. its set to 250 850 where it runs like a charm. if i clock to 250 900 (1000) it immediately resets. still lv, it does work with 250 1100 (1150) where it crashes just randomly after a few mins.

Same with ulv and xlv where going any higher than 900 it crashes (like in the same way mentioned before)

The difference in those profiles is ideal: when typing "kernel-config load ideal" - without having changed anything in that profile before (just having the default one), it immediately crashes too. i am not able to set anything in thaht profile.

My question is, did nokia replace my phone whith a lower quality one? PLEASE Help me if u have ever experienced something like this. thx in advance
Did you read the Wiki documentation for Overclocking? Nokia does not try to make the N900 work well with overclocking. Different N900s are different with regard to overclocking. All Nokia tries to do is make sure the N900 works at the speed they delivered it to you.

This doesn't mean the phone you got is "lower quality" in general than any other N900.

You should be happy your N900 overclocks at 850. That isn't guaranteed either. I overclock mine to 850 and have never tried higher. 850 is a good safe setting for most people.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Dubai
I've been using it @ 1.1Ghz for past 6 months.

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom